This topic contains 32 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Panther30 9 years, 4 months ago.

• Author

spcs
    Participant

Why isn’t there a seperate linux server?
    I want to run a server but all the need for the X windows things etc. realy making it a hell to install the program.

I spend hours trying to get the application up on my linux server. But because of the needs of all the extra packages (which I think a server doesn’t even need) I’m really lost.

I hope the developers can come up whit a seperate server.

Thanks in advance

BOY
    Participant

I dont mess with linux much but as far as I know, the windows and linux versions of the game are essentially “separate” already. I’m not sure what packages you arn’t needing, but if you give some details about the sound issues, and what distro you are using.. etc… maybe somebody will have the answer

spcs
    Participant

@boy wrote:

I dont mess with linux much but as far as I know, the windows and linux versions of the game are essentially “separate” already. I’m not sure what packages you arn’t needing, but if you give some details about the sound issues, and what distro you are using.. etc… maybe somebody will have the answer

I’m really a beginner with linux.

From what I have understand the linux package is basicly one application with the game and the server integrated.

What I would lik to see, is the server separated from the actual game.
    So that there isn’t any need to install all the depended package which the game needs.

That would make the install of the server far lesser complicated. 😉
    Tell me if I’m wrong 😀

btw, if some linux expert reads this, please take al look here.
    http://www.scorched3d.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3148
    There is the problem I get with my linux installation.

imported_gcamp
    Participant

It did used to be seperate. But everyone complained so it was combined, its been this way for a long time now.

cbx550f
    Participant

This really is something I could do, Gav. 😉

It would be a bit tedious, but would mostly require editing the makefiles and the includes. Not only that, but I would like it too. (I run my servers on a machine with X only because it makes life easier for compiling – I’d really rather run it in a machine that has no X). Would Windows users then want a “server only” solution? I don’t think so, as Windows users tend to use binaries anyway, but I dunno.

Having said that; I’ve been think about this alot myself, as it would make my life easier, so I have thought about doing this, but I haven’t yet figured out the best way to go about it. I’ve thought about making a patch set, but that’s just plain wastefull on bandwidth (making people DL all sorts of thinbgs they don’t use). Maybe just doing it and making an i686 binary? Probably what I should do is make the “server only source”, and provide both a patch set and a binary.

I think this may be a really good thing to do, especially for people like me who run a server remotely on a box that has no X (or, as I want to do ;)), so if you like the idea, feel free to post an “I concur” message – if there are more than one or two, I’ll make sure I work on it.

cbx

spcs
    Participant

@gcamp wrote:

It did used to be seperate. But everyone complained so it was combined, its been this way for a long time now.

I just discoverd this game.
    What’s the reason that everyone wanted the game and server combined?

Almost all game servers have a separated linux server.
    I think allot of the people use linux for the server and windows for the game.
    (at least that’s what I’m doing).

It would be great to have a linux server and a windows app to controll it.
    However just a separated linux server would make me very happy.
    Also controlling the linux server by a web interface would be great. 😛

I don’t have enough progamming scills to do such a thing myself.
    But if someone could create something like this I’m willing to help testing it for sure 😉

cbx550f
    Participant

@spcs wrote:

@gcamp wrote:

I just discoverd this game.
    What’s the reason that everyone wanted the game and server combined?

Almost all game servers have a separated linux server.
    I think allot of the people use linux for the server and windows for the game.
    (at least that’s what I’m doing).

It would be great to have a linux server and a windows app to controll it.
    However just a separated linux server would make me very happy.
    Also controlling the linux server by a web interface would be great. 😛

I don’t have enough progamming scills to do such a thing myself.
    But if someone could create something like this I’m willing to help testing it for sure 😉

There is a web interface for server admin…. *note to self – make some docs about this*

I’ll work on a “smlimmer” Linux server – no promises, but I’ll try. 😉

cbx

spcs
    Participant

@cbx550f wrote:

@spcs wrote:

@gcamp wrote:

It did used to be

There is a web interface for server admin…. *note to self – make some docs about this*

I’ll work on a “smlimmer” Linux server – no promises, but I’ll try. 😉

cbx

I’ll hope you manage to create a server only app. It’s cool that there is already a web interface to controll it.
    That would be enough for me.
    I think that’s just to difficult to install a linux server. (especially for beginners with linux such as me)

I’m running a linux server for some time now. (trough console) for the free trackmania game.
    They also have a linux server and then you controll it trough a web interface, and that’s working great. 🙂

I would say to anyone who is able to create such a thing, just go for it. I’m sure there are allot of people who are gonna be happy with it.

And to the creators of this game I would like to say thanks. It’s really great that you are providing this game for free. 🙂

Panther
    Participant

Any development done on a separate Linux server? This would really be great. I don’t have X Windows running on my Linux servers and mostly use them to host games like Unreal Tournament but would like to host a Scorched3D server as well.

FREAK
    Participant

@cbx550f wrote:

This really is something I could do, Gav. 😉

It would be a bit tedious, but would mostly require editing the makefiles and the includes. Not only that, but I would like it too. (I run my servers on a machine with X only because it makes life easier for compiling – I’d really rather run it in a machine that has no X). Would Windows users then want a “server only” solution? I don’t think so, as Windows users tend to use binaries anyway, but I dunno.

Having said that; I’ve been think about this alot myself, as it would make my life easier, so I have thought about doing this, but I haven’t yet figured out the best way to go about it. I’ve thought about making a patch set, but that’s just plain wastefull on bandwidth (making people DL all sorts of thinbgs they don’t use). Maybe just doing it and making an i686 binary? Probably what I should do is make the “server only source”, and provide both a patch set and a binary.

I think this may be a really good thing to do, especially for people like me who run a server remotely on a box that has no X (or, as I want to do ;)), so if you like the idea, feel free to post an “I concur” message – if there are more than one or two, I’ll make sure I work on it.

cbx

Yeah think about it!

CBX can get all the blame and get yelled at while you sit back and enjoy watching the angry mob go after him!

cbx550f
    Participant

Done for version 41.

(Although I can’t take the credit, I wanted you to think for a second that I did… 😛 Gavin did it. :))

So, for version 41, you will be able to run a console-based dedicated server on a machine with no sound, graphics, etc.
    This is good news for me, as I tend to want to run on a headless/keyboardless machine, and installing GL libraries etc was rather frustrating.

When release time comes, I’ll try to make packages for as many distros as I can, and perhaps a generic binary install in a tarball.

Note to self: Create an ebuild for Gentoo with a “dedicated” use flag for server-only install.

Irishbandit
    Participant

Very nice work. 😀 😀

Panther
    Participant

@cbx550f wrote:

Done for version 41.

Great! I’ll look forward to the release.
    I don’t mind having to compile it for my 64-bit CentOS system.

FREAK
    Participant

@cbx550f wrote:

Done for version 41.

:mrgreen: =D> =D> =D> :D/ :biggrin:

Deathstryker
    Participant

Am I the only one that misses the server GUI?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.