This topic contains 11 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Willis 10 years, 6 months ago.

  • Author
    Posts
  • #5428

    naka
    Participant

    It is good if the game have possibility to record whole game in simple text file. so instead making a DireWolf like video and miss a wonderful moments and good camera positions, every one can record game on his client.

    something like that:


    record somefile.txt
    replay somefile.txt

    Later ppl can post their greatest games on the forum, edit games (cut, merge different levels), and the game can be recorded later on real AVI.

    Don’t beat me too much.

    #41212

    Deathstryker
    Participant

    I’m guessing you’re thinking that the actions/coordinates should be recorded in the text file and then be able to be read later by Scorched. Is that what you’re saying?

    I believe this is in the TODO list. It’s probably not meant to be as full scale as you’re hoping but here it is.

    @TODO wrote:

    Add action replay type functionality

    #41213

    DireWolf
    Participant

    It is a good Idea, but would be a major Hard Drive glut, even saved as a text file, to get a decent resolution would take alot of space and be a drain on the quality of the game while playing, when I record my FPS sux!
    that is one reason I dont get every shot when I play and film at the same time, it dramatically slows the game, almost to the point of being unplayable depending on what and how many weapons are being launched.

    btw. I am almost done with my next vid, all I will say is that I am using some rare Pink Floyd studio recordings for the music!! 😈

    #41214

    Thrax
    Participant

    @direwolf wrote:

    It is a good Idea, but would be a major Hard Drive
    glut, even saved as a text file, to get a decent resolution would take alot
    of space and be a drain on the quality of the game while playing, when I
    record my FPS sux!
    that is one reason I dont get every shot when I play and film at the same
    time, it dramatically slows the game, almost to the point of being
    unplayable depending on what and how many weapons are being launched.

    not entirely… the Servers send a small data packet that the clients
    read and process, to show the total action for that turn.

    Saving that data would allow you to recreate the scene, and let you
    view it at any angle after.. just as if it were happening the first time.

    even letting you increase the game’s details after, it would still show
    the action.. just with the different detail levels.

    #41215

    cbx550f
    Participant

    I agree with Thrax – essentially, you’d just have to save the same data that the server sends to the client.

    Piece of cake, right Gav? 😀

    #41216

    DireWolf
    Participant

    If it can be done it would be very cool, but I will believe it when I see it.

    Dire(Doubting Thomas)Wolf 😈

    it just seems like the coding….. which I know nothing about 😳 would have to be as big as the game itself, but if it isnt, hell yes, go 4 it!

    out of curiosity, would it be like how you could record in Quake 1&2?
    now that I think about it recording using Quake was pretty lag free when playing.

    #41217

    Thrax
    Participant

    @direwolf wrote:

    If it can be done it would be very cool, but I will believe it when I see it.

    Dire(Doubting Thomas)Wolf 😈

    it just seems like the coding….. which I know nothing about 😳
    would have to be as big as the game itself, but if it isnt, hell yes, go 4 it!

    out of curiosity, would it be like how you could record in Quake 1&2?
    now that I think about it recording using Quake was pretty lag free
    when playing.

    Pretty much, but since the server packets are not live-realtime(yet),
    there’s far less actual data to save. It would only need save about
    10-50kb per turn; that’s how big the server packets are.

    however, with the changes to next ver, making all boids
    server-controlled and real-time.. they may need a little more.

    #41218

    naka
    Participant

    Are these messages that flying around at the protocol level are binnary or they are text messages?
    i hope the resulting text file will be readable by human. Imagine collect 4-5 recorded games, select the best rounds, edit it, and produce “The Best of The Scorched Shoots”

    #41219

    imported_gcamp
    Participant

    Yes the information stored would only have to be the information sent from the server, and the initial state of the client when the recording started. The client state would be the tricky part, but I guess would be quite similar to the saved game code.

    If you didn’t mind it recording from the beginning it would probably be not too bad.

    The information is currently binary.

    #41220

    Deathstryker
    Participant

    I would suggest a start/stop key for recording but then you’d have to implement more code for it to read information correctly that started in the middle of a game.

    #41221

    cbx550f
    Participant

    @deathstryker wrote:

    I would suggest a start/stop key for recording but then you’d have to implement more code for it to read information correctly that started in the middle of a game.

    It would certainly be WAY easier to just have a RECORD=TRUE/FALSE than have a start/stop… well, I suppose stop wouldn’t be hard. Perhaps it should be thought of as “Recording can only start at the beginning of a round” – otherwise, as Gav mentioned, the entire game state would have to be saved before anything else happens.

    I think the tricky bit is not in the recording, but in the playback, really.

    Thinking about the structure of the game, it shouldn’t be really difficult, but would likely be pretty time-consuming to implement.
    It might be one of those things that people should question themselves the following: Is it worth a significant delay of the next release? (Or even the next one after that?)

    IMO, unless you think you can pull it off without too much work, I’d say save it for the next version (42). There’s a ton of changes already in 41 😉

    #41222

    jdog
    Participant

    The ability to record and replay has been waiting this long. Version 42 or 43 sounds good to me too.

    #41223

    Willis
    Participant

    Yeah this would certainly be a tricky issue. If chat logs were to be omitted it would only be an issue of recording server action data (time spent when weapons are fired) and then having the client simulate those actions one packet after the next. With a standard delay as to not rush the viewer. Instead of returning to the GUI and ask for input, it would merely continue to the next packet.

    But if chat logs were included that would really complicate things (I THINK) as now it’s an issue of timing of two equal but opposite sequences. Time differences between everything would need to be noted and simulated again in the replay.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.