This topic contains 16 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  jdog 10 years, 10 months ago.

• Author

InductiveOne
    Participant

so i noticed something. projectile models made up of flares (verticies) dont spin as projectiles. does anyone know a way around this? hehe, nothing wants to spiral right for me.

the weapon:

flare2
    A free weapon. Its kinda goodish too.
    bnuke.bmp
    shoot/large.wav
    missiles/4flare.txt

false
    missiles/4flare.txt 6 5

true
    down
    exp06
    explosions/large.wav

I’ll attach the 4flare.txt model.

jdog
    Participant

I think the flare model is the only one in the game that doesn’t rotate as its really a model of nothing. At least thats what I saw when I opened it up in Milkshape last time I did.

Thrax
    Participant

@jdog wrote:

I think the flare model is the only one in the game that
    doesn’t rotate as its really a model of nothing. At least thats
    what I saw when I opened it up in Milkshape last time I did.

heh. yah. i was curious and looked too. it’s a single point.
    no line, no shape.. just a point.
    I guess it’s made to flare like that somehow with just the flaretype
    to color it.

even trying to offset the point.. still didn’t make it wobble. beats me
    how it works.. 😀

InductiveOne
    Participant

Yeah, to put a flare in a model, you add an unconnected vertex somewhere and name it ‘flare’. What I think is interesting is that a projectil model with an acual object _and_ a bunch of flares will have the object spinning but the flares stay in the same place (by spinning I mean the one set with ) so while it didn’t do what I meant, I know how a missle that spins with a halo of flares around it. Not what I meant but still kinda cool. I’ll post a model example tonight.

Thrax
    Participant

@inductiveone wrote:

Yeah, to put a flare in a model, you add an
    unconnected vertex somewhere and name it ‘flare’. What I think is
    interesting is that a projectil model with an acual object _and_ a bunch
    of flares will have the object spinning but the flares stay in the same
    place (by spinning I mean the one set with ) so while it
    didn’t do what I meant, I know how a missle that spins with a halo of
    flares around it. Not what I meant but still kinda cool. I’ll post a model
    example tonight.

Now that is info we can use!! Add flares to any model type with
    a couple clicks..
    and to color it pretty, lots of thing’s we can use it on.

wonder if it works on tank models! lol

imported_gcamp
    Participant

You guys… 🙂

Yes it won’t rotate, I guess it could if we really needed it to.

InductiveOne
    Participant

Need is a very strong word 🙂

And halo missiles can be cool. The idea can be rather extended but milkshape is driving me crazy.

Shotzo
    Participant

Couldn’t you just have a bunch of planes intersect each other with a flare-type image on them (that is radially symmetrical)?

It’d rotate… in one axis, but nonetheless still rotate..

imported_gcamp
    Participant

Its not an issue of how to draw the flare, but how to move where the flare is drawn. Currently the flares are drawn out-with the model, and so are not subject to the transformations applied to the model. e.g. rotation.

The flare object is created and cached at the location of a certain identifier in the model, this needs to be moved/rotated sperately to the model.

The whole flare in the model was just a hack so you could get the old-style missiles.

imported_gcamp
    Participant

This may fix the rotation :-

http://scorched3d.cvs.sourceforge.net/scorched3d/scorched/src/tankgraph/MissileMesh.cpp?r1=1.16&r2=1.17

Although I’ve only tested it for the default flare models.

BTW Did someone ask if it worked for tanks? It doesn’t.

InductiveOne
    Participant

@shotzo wrote:

Couldn’t you just have a bunch of planes intersect each other with a flare-type image on them (that is radially symmetrical)?

I dont know if you’ve gotten it to work, but I cant get any transparency in projectile models at all. You can see through transp materials in milkshape, then the spinning item in the weapon changer gui thing, but when fired it doesn’t seem to work. I could be wrong, but I’ve never seen a transparant projectile.

BTW: Thanks for the clarifications and help as always gcamp!

jdog
    Participant

@inductiveone wrote:

@shotzo wrote:

I dont know if you’ve gotten it to work, but I cant get any transparency in projectile models at all. You can see through transp materials in milkshape, then the spinning item in the weapon changer gui thing, but when fired it doesn’t seem to work. I could be wrong, but I’ve never seen a transparant projectile.

Transparency do not work on projectiles. Already tried it before and asked if it worked, Gavin said that transparency only works on objects, not projectiles.

imported_gcamp
    Participant

@jdog wrote:

@inductiveone wrote:

@shotzo wrote:

Transparency do not work on projectiles. Already tried it before and asked if it worked, Gavin said that transparency only works on objects, not projectiles.

Seems a little odd that, so I’ve just added it.

jdog
    Participant

@gcamp wrote:

@jdog wrote:

@inductiveone wrote:

@shotzo wrote:

Seems a little odd that, so I’ve just added it.

I’ve also thought so too. Transparent projectiles, GOODIES!

Ice missiles shall now be the way I planned them to be!!!

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!

.–.ShoCkwaVe.–.
    Participant

hmmm

I’m thinking that nice looking transparent ice stalagtites in say..
    a snowy map cavern could fall as an event

or if shot they fall downwords and rain down on unsuspected victums
    below them >:)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.