This topic contains 6 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Spectrum 11 years, 8 months ago.

• Author

BigBear
    Participant

Since I keep asking without getting any answers in other topics, I’ll try and start a new one instead.

Consider the following quotes:

Due to recent events (that was seen by me and other admins) maybe its time to decide onece and for all what the beginners server is for.

I guess not every1 know but, in result of a admin+players of the game guidelinedecision, a “rules” game can only be made ONLY if ALL players agrees to it.

The first one is from the second poll on the status of the beginners server. The poll got 20 votes and the result was about as undecisive as is possible. It is now locked and no more information has been presented. Will it be used in any eventual descisionmaking on the subject? If not will there be a suggestion made by the admins to Gavin and if so in whose name? This issue is the least complex of the two though in my opinion, since as I understand it, it has to go through Gavin in the end.

The second quote is from the post ‘just somthing to make it clear’ and references to another poll which got 20 votes. Allthough there was a 90 percent landslide win for one of the alternatives, it can hardly be considered a descision made in conscensus with the players of the game. Unless offcourse the importance lies in which players as opposed to how many raise their voice of opinion on the matter. This issue is as I see it more complex than the first one, since it is up to the community to handle it.
    Bottom line as i see it: Regarding suggestions that will not go through Gavin on matters that will concern gameplay and accessability, how are things going to work?
    As it is now, I feel very confused about the community’s as well as the admins’ role in the descisionmaking process. Take the example of ‘rules’ games. If the second quote above is correct, it pretty much means that admins rule all and the only reason to have a poll is to be able to make a reference to ‘the players’ if the result is favourable. If not, then perhaps some guidelines for how things should work are needed. For one thing any ‘official guidelines’ should be posted where everyone can find them easily.

What do YOU think? Is this an issue? Am I just ranting and need to pipe down? Personally I just want some clarification on what the deal is so I know whether there is any point in trying to influence the direction we are moving in with this wonderful game or if the time and effort is better spent elsewhere outside of playing it.

BOY
    Participant

hmmm, tthat could qualify as a rant…. 😛

the polls you meanioned above should not be considered grounds for any particular action, you are correct. neither should they be regarded as “official” polls.

In regards to the SECOND one you meantioned. The result is all but official, There is no dissagreement among admins and therefore Rules are allowed but not forced on players.

there is a current discussion amost admins concerning server restrictuions. Because of the contentios nature, as well as some disagreement among admins, nothing has been changed. and yes, all major decisions/rules and restricions are decided by gcamp.

Regarding the FIRST poll you meantioned. No, there is no change scheduled yet, but there may be one. sorry no date. However, officially, there should not be any more problems with people being “at the wrong server” the grounds for kicking are the same at all servers.

barnabas
    Participant

It is certainly not clear what power the admins have and why. Some seem to think that they have ultimate power, some use is wisely and justly.

And there doesn’t seem to be anything in place to offer feedback regarding an admins performance or admins abusing power. Not a very democratic way of running things.

-barny

cbx550f
    Participant

@barnabas wrote:

It is certainly not clear what power the admins have and why.

Any particular admin, at any particular instant in time, has “total power” (ie: in a game, and if he/she desires to), in the sense that he or she can kick or ban etc. . However, no single admin has the power to make or change a rule, and even as a group, obviously Gavin has veto power. 😉

Some seem to think that they have ultimate power, some use is wisely and justly.

And there doesn’t seem to be anything in place to offer feedback regarding an admins performance or admins abusing power. Not a very democratic way of running things.

This is a problem, and one which I’m glad you brought up, Barny.

There is a simple answer: If you have concerns about a particular admin, PM an admin that you feel you can trust. (Or better yet, several). I would suggest that you send Gavin a message, but in my opinion the REAL point of having admins was to take some of the pressure and frustration off of Gavin.

Unfortunately, especially for newer players, there may not be an admin that they know they can trust, and that presents a problem, and one that I think we need to address. Is there a way in the forum to send a message to all admins? I don’t think so, but that would be an “almost okay” solution. Another way, albeit awkward, would be to PM all of the admins.

PLEASE do not hesitate to PM any of us if you have concerns. I think I speak for all of the admins when I say that “I am an admin because Scorched3d rocks, and we just want to insure that the online community lives up to the greatness of the game itself.”.

Honestly, I’m lacking for ideas on how users can give open feedback to the admins, so PLEASE, if you have any suggestions, voice them, whether it be here in this thread, or in a PM to one or more admins. I consider this a BIG problem, and I would like to find a solution.

Having said all that, I would like to say this: If you have concerns about admins, please try to address these concerns with another admin. If it does not get addressed to your satisfaction, send Gavin a message. Like I said above, admins exist to relieve some of the “day to day” pressure from Gavin that has come up as the game’s popularity has grown, but he’s still there, and he’s a hell of a diplomatic guy. Do try to talk to us first though, but if we don’t seem to help, please try to give us criticism on what has gone wrong; we’re still learning too.

@bigbear wrote:

Bottom line as i see it: Regarding suggestions that will not go through Gavin on matters that will concern gameplay and accessability, how are things going to work?
    As it is now, I feel very confused about the community’s as well as the admins’ role in the descisionmaking process

Well, this whole flow is still aa work in progress, unfortunately. I’ll try to outline what I think is the basic process:

• There is a concern brought up (by the community or by admins)
    • The admins discuss it
    • The community discusses it, along with the admins
    • The admins discuss it more
    • The topic fades away, only to be revisited later

Frankly, it’s working like crap lately. Any comments on why would be appreciated (but please keep public statements non-personal ;))

We have some serious “process” issues to address, and I appreciate your comments, guys; these are good posts. Having said that, I should go make a post in the admin forum about “What are we gonna do?”.

Thank you

cbx

Cinnibar
    Participant

Can I PM you if I don’t have any concerns anyway, cbx?

Ebonite
    Participant

Absolutely! CBX loves PMS. Especially hen his box gets totally filled.

hobbesme
    Participant

@ebonite² wrote:

Absolutely! CBX loves PMS.

Just not on a monthly cycle.

Spectrum
    Participant

I honestly think that CB is rigth in alot of his statment. From what i’ve seen in some issues that the admins deal with; what cb said is almost what happens.
    i also think that his idea of pming is a good 1.

Btw cb, i don’t think i’ve ever seen u post sooo much at 1 wack 😆

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.