This topic contains 7 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  imported_gcamp 11 years, 8 months ago.

• Author

rdanner3
    Participant

This one has me really, really confused, folks.

My server works great on Win98SE/ME, but when I sent the files over to a WinXP box, the program dies horribly with no apparent error message. Weirdly enough, I can get the files to work even using the arcane directory structure WinXP forces the user to use.

"C:Documents and SettingsOwnerApplication Data.scorched3d"

Just can’t get it to run under WinXP! 🙁 Please help? (and no, no fair saying to switch to Linux.)

BOY
    Participant

for one thing, I believe scorched3d writes to the

..Documents and settings.scorched3d

there shouldn’t be an application data folder in between.

the next thing is, how do you mean you “sent” the files to the XP box?

does the game install and play in single player mode on that machine? if not, start there. Otherwise this is somesort of lan issue i suppose, who is playing on the server?

note:
    BOY’s thoughts are worth 8 cents less than Miro’s

rdanner3
    Participant

note:
    the server mentioned here is Scorched3D-RCASTLE, which usually ran on the weekends…until this problem occurred.

@boy wrote:

for one thing, I believe scorched3d writes to the

..Documents and settings.scorched3d

There shouldn’t be an application data folder in between.

Just reporting what I see… LOL And it is driving me crazy. The setup works on my WinME box…both in the “proper” location (.Program FilesScorched3D.Scorched3d) and in the location cited. It, however, does not work on the XP box I’m working with in Florida…(reason for the move is that my co-admin has a faster box (it’s nearly 3x as fast))
    @boy wrote:

the next thing is, how do you mean you “sent” the files to the XP box?

Simply that. I emailed them to the guy who co-admins my server, and it’s driving us both nuts trying to get the server to come up on his box.@boy wrote:

does the game install and play in single player mode on that machine? if not, start there. Otherwise this is somesort of lan issue i suppose, who is playing on the server?

Well, Brain Damage has, amongst others… LOL The thing is that it just works when I run it, but not when the other guy tries. The XML files are unaltered, show (on his side) to be in the correct place, but the server doesn’t come up, or comes up only to be downed with an error message, usually having to do with an error in the shortcut. (that’s been fixed, BTW.)

BOY
    Participant

if he put the files into

C:Documents and Settingsuser.scorched3d

then it should work.

can he put up some other server, anything that works??

is the server up on his maching, but just not up on the registration server?? if so, then its a firewall issue, or he has not checked the box for published ip address, and everyone is blocked from seeing it.

if he clears out the .scorched folder which scorched writes to (and backs up what he wants to keep of course) then sets up a new server, what happens? anything?

is he using the same port number etc…. once he gets a server running, try then to copy over the contents of some of the files into his xml files that work. such as settings-27270.xml, also try renaming his server to Rcastle2 or somethign, perhaps registration is confused with the ip’s

if still nothing works, i’ll refer you to the experts 🙂

dont give up 😕

rdanner3
    Participant

@boy wrote:

if he put the files into

C:Documents and Settingsuser.scorched3d

then it should work.

can he put up some other server, anything that works??

We haven’t tried that as yet that I know of…

@boy wrote:

Is the server up on his machine, but just not up on the registration server?? if so, then its a firewall issue, or he has not checked the box for published ip address, and everyone is blocked from seeing it.

Decidedly not. He has said that on two occasions, it produced a generic server (that didn’t properly show the mod he was running) but that was back when we had the wrong shortcuts.

@boy wrote:

If he clears out the .scorched folder which scorched writes to (and backs up what he wants to keep, of course) then sets up a new server, what happens? anything?

Have referred him to this thread; it is possible we may be able, by brute force and/or process of elimination, figure out what’s going on.

@boy wrote:

Is he using the same port number etc…. once he gets a server running, try then to copy over the contents of some of the files into his xml files that work. Such as settings-27270.xml, also try renaming his server to Rcastle2 or somethign, perhaps registration is confused with the ip’s

Considering the fact I never run my server when I know he’s trying to run his (thus the fact the server’s not run the last two weekends) I cannot see how that would become an issue. LOL

@boy wrote:

if still nothing works, i’ll refer you to the experts 🙂

dont give up 😕

Who said anything of giving up? I’ve a poster on my wall that shows a frog being swallowed by a bird…the frog has his hands around the bird’s neck, choking it. Caption reads “NEVER give up!” and I believe that. (Besides, the thing’s funny)

rdanner3
    Participant

The server’s now properly running… for him. Unfortunately, it’s not showing correctly on the registration server, so nobody else can manage to get in.

Since he’s running AOL, that may make it difficult to open all the proper ports, esp. if AOL auto-blocks UDP. Ideas, anyone?

BOY
    Participant

the only thing i can think of is if he is on a network of some kind, then the proper ip may not be getting registered. if an external ip is registering instead, then that could be a problem.

MSAJYoung
    Participant

First I’d like to thank rdanner for getting part of the problem solved.

Second, unless there’s a hidden network /I/ don’t know about. *shrug*

I’m on AOL-Broadband, it turns out, through RoadRunner. We’ve just confirmed that it’s likely AOL or RR causing the problem. Anyone also running AOL or even RR know how to force UDP?

MSAJYoung
    aka JYoung

imported_gcamp
    Participant

Could just be to do with port forwarding?

Is the game now running behind some type of NAT router?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.