This topic contains 18 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  jdog 10 years, 9 months ago.

• Author

SHACK
    Participant

@jdog wrote:

@shack wrote:

@cbx550f wrote:

Personally, I’d rather not have the animations. 😉

But But WHY? 🙁

Only because you cant think of any cool ones prob. 8)

Because gif is only usefull on the fourms and not in the game.

If thats the case why even have avatars in game? 😕

gifs have been workin untill now 😕

what kinda uses are you talkin about its just a pic anyway.

@willis wrote:

As it’s distracting enough having to decide my shots – I don’t wanna look at some high-flashing animation thats bound to give someone a secure.

awww im sorry that you get distracted you sould pay more attention. 😉 quit watching T.V. at the same time then….. 😆

Deathstryker
    Participant

No, animated gifs weren’t supported yet but they were in the TODO list until PNG support replaced gif.

I don’t really have an opinion on this. I don’t really notice the avatars all that much anyway.

Laptops Daddy
    Participant

sorry, i thought u meant for the forum thing.

u mean just the ones in the game?

is it even worth using compression? what’s a 32px square .bmp file? about 3KB? would an uncompressed format display quicker?

there’s a point where uncompressed bitmaps are smaller than GIFs (about 16px sq?) (depending on number of colours). (spose there must be some overhead)

i don’t think it makes much diff.

would be nice to have bigger pictures though : )

Bobirov
    Participant

The space savings in the stats database is probably the biggest factor in this change. I’m not sure exactly, but I think a large amount of the stats database is just all the binary data for the avatars. Though the savings might not be huge, when you’re talking about having to upload a 2 to 3 megabyte file to update the stats, it could be a significant bandwidth savings.

Also, having PNG support for avatars opens up the possibility of having PNG support for model textures as well, which would be nice.

jdog
    Participant

@bobirov wrote:

Also, having PNG support for avatars opens up the possibility of having PNG support for model textures as well, which would be nice.

That would be really nice! PNG texture files would save alot of space in mods!

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.