This topic contains 18 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  jdog 10 years, 9 months ago.

• Author

SHACK
    Participant

In another topic it was mentioned that png would replace gif files. I would love to know why? 🙁

I love that i can create a gif file animate it and the animation shows up on the stats page.

I do know that png dose alow for a smaller pic to be seen more clearly. But why cant we have both, for those who do have animated gifs as there avatars?

imported_gcamp
    Participant

I know the rules have changed for the gif format recently, but it is generally easier to get support and libraries for the PNG format. Its kind of the unofficial unix web format.

SHACK
    Participant

3 put they love png but you didnt say why 😕 Dose png realy matter?
    😕 😕 😕 😕 😕 😕 😕 😕 😕 😕 😕 🙄

cbx550f
    Participant

I like it because it’s an open standard (no worries about copyrights or anything, ever), and because it’s flexible.
    The GIF format limits you to a maximum of 8 bits per pixel (256 colours), and only supports transparency in a limited fashion. (Basically, you can make areas of the image completely transparent, or not at all).
    PNG does not share that limitation – any pixel can be transparent, solid, or partially transparent.

cbx

jdog
    Participant

Ya, what CBX said.

SHACK
    Participant

@cbx550f wrote:

(no worries about copyrights or anything, ever),

What kinda copy rights you talkin about? Dose this mean we wont beable to make our own avatars? 😯

imported_gcamp
    Participant

@shack wrote:

@cbx550f wrote:

(no worries about copyrights or anything, ever),

What kinda copy rights you talkin about? Dose this mean we wont beable to make our own avatars? 😯

He means PNG is totaly free from copyrights, which is the main reason I used it.

SHACK
    Participant

Ok thx for the information 🙂 i better start makin my new avatars then 8)

cbx550f
    Participant

@shack wrote:

Ok thx for the information 🙂 i better start makin my new avatars then 8)

Don’t panic – you have a bit of time. 😉

Laptops Daddy
    Participant

Ooo, I know all about that kind of stuff.

You HAVE to keep the GIF around (like Shack says, it’s the animated thing).

The advantages of PNG over GIF (other than the licensing thing) are:

1./ Better Compression (potentially) (depends on the software used in real World).
    2./ Option for 24bit colour with alpha channel.

Any UK people seen the Cif advert on TV?

“Hhheeef” [making little precise pronunciation sign with fingers]

Both
    vote here.

cbx550f
    Participant

Personally, I’d rather not have the animations. 😉

SHACK
    Participant

@cbx550f wrote:

But But WHY? 🙁

Only because you cant think of any cool ones prob. 8)

jdog
    Participant

@shack wrote:

@cbx550f wrote:

But But WHY? 🙁

Only because you cant think of any cool ones prob. 8)

Because gif is only usefull on the fourms and not in the game.

Laptops Daddy
    Participant

*questions cbx’s GIF animating ability*

I have another…

PNG files have a special gamma chunk thing. (Not always good). Sometimes you might want the exact same colour to appear the other end. (Think I said in a post before about my special colour code things).

Want to see my example? (It’s attached (hopefully (‘less they fixed it : ))).

Image file was created with single colour #63d7df.

Left: Saved as a GIF file (Corel Paint Shop Pro 10), colour is as it should be (#63d7df). (Interlaced 89a with no transparency, optimised Octree palette). 908 bytes.

Middle: Saved as a PNG (Corel Paint Shop Pro 10), it’s #58d2db 8 O (my end). (Interlaced, no transparency, optimised Octree palette, PC gamma). 155 bytes.

Right: Another PNG (Ulead Photo Impact 11), as it should be (#63d7df). (Interlaced, no transparency, detail palette). 120 bytes.

Ps:
    Just in case forum thing’s been changed, you’d better have a screenshot. (It’s a GIF of a screenshot from IE6 in Windows XP)

Willis
    Participant

Well in the big world of file creation (aka photoshop) .. GIF’s are pretty much only for the animations. And certain instances where the file size is a lot better using it. Otherwise its mostly JPG and PNG.

Regarding scorched… these things are so small size isn’t the problem. Regardless of format. (Unless you made some mega-sized animation.) And the last time I seen, animations don’t work in game. Which I’m glad.

As it’s distracting enough having to decide my shots – I don’t wanna look at some high-flashing animation thats bound to give someone a secure.

Now as far as the stats pages go… I don’t check often so I don’t often care.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.