This topic contains 7 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  imported_gcamp 8 years, 1 month ago.

• Author

ArmorWraith
    Participant

Is it possible to play scorched off a flash drive, my school administrator has locked us out of running exe’s.

I have a 4 gig sandisk u3 smartdrive (on sale at wallmart :D)

any way i could run context also thrax?

would help a crapton in my modding during study hall :D.

Thanks! 😀

KB

Spectrum
    Participant

well I would think it’s possible you can run Firefox off a jump drive so why not scorched?

Come to think of it I think I did it once. I put the whole game onto a jump drive and it worked,(playing wise) but I’m not sure about the modding since I don’t know much about that

Irishbandit
    Participant

@spectrum wrote:

well I would think it’s possible you can run Firefox off a jump drive so why not scorched?

If the computers are run like I used to run my network programs could only be run from c:windows and c:program files
    and only I could install to those directories. You can also add another feature to only allow programs with specific hashes to run.

If thats the case then you wont be able to run off a thumb drive.
    Sorry.

But try to run it off a thumb drive first.

Laptops Daddy
    Participant

you can run anything from a flash drive in theory. my home server runs off a usb stick. thing is, kangabunny, theyve probably blocked executable files as much for risk of viruses and malicious code. i doubt preventing sneaky game play is their only concern.

go careful. you could open a big can of worms if you find a way to bypass it and could end up in a lot of trouble.

ORCACommander
    Participant

btw I know how to bypass some filters schools use. use the ip of the website instead of the url. but in my experience if they stop executables on the computer from executing except word and few other whitelisted ones then even on a usb it will not work. I think you will have to rename all the scorched exe’s in order for it to run. unfortunately I think that will mean you will have to edit the source code references to their names.

ArmorWraith
    Participant

hmm i have decided that the cons outweigh the pros, our school is a very strict when it comes to the rules.

Thanks for your help 😀

KB

imported_gcamp
    Participant

Should run fine off a flash drive, just install to any location then copy the installed scorched3d directory to the flash drive. Everything you need is in the directory.

ORCACommander
    Participant

except where would mod downloads go? and what about ids.xml

imported_gcamp
    Participant

They would go into the users home directory. The user should always have access to this area. If they don’t you can change this directory to also be on the flash drive using command line options to scorchedc.exe.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.