This topic contains 11 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Bobirov 11 years, 3 months ago.

• Author

Bobirov
    Participant

Just thought I would post some of my findings and requests related to the landscape placements. So, here goes.

I was toying around with the idea (again) of making some of my larger buildings targets and I stumbled across a crash while I was playing around. It seems that supplying a to the target object type crashes the client during the ‘Populating Landscape’ phase of loading. Seemed to be 100% repeatable on my end at least. I am hoping that could be made to work like it does with the ‘model’ object type.

Also, while messing around with targets a bit, I noticed that the tag seemed to have no effect when applied to a target object type. Other objects are still placed near the target just as if the tag was not supplied. It works just fine with the model object type though. I am hoping that could be addressed as the tag is quite useful for larger or more secluded type targets.

I was also trying to add a ‘none’ type object to a random object group and I was getting an ‘Unknown object type none’ error. I was hoping to have a group of a few objects that randomly choose between a model or nothing at all, to change things up a bit each time. I was thinking I could use the new none placement to just place nothing on the landscape at all as one of the random object choices. Is that an incorrect use of that type? If so, where should the ‘none’ type placement be supplied and what would a proper use of it look like? An example would be much appreciated.

Also, while on the subject of choosing random objects in the placement files, is there a type tag for the random object type? If not, could we get one? I would like to be able to weight the object choices just like you can with WeaponRandomChoice.

Another thing I have been noticing is that animation is either very slow or doesn’t work properly with landscape objects. First off, it seems to only be applied to the ‘target’ object type. I think animation needs to be applied universally to all object types. If the model that is referenced contains an animation, play it. One thing to think about is maybe a tag to disable animation on the object. If disabled, the model would hold its default (non-animated) pose. I think animated models on the landscapes working properly would help to enhance the realism of things nicely if done well. 🙂

Also, even though animation seems to be applied to the ‘target’ object type, it is played through at an extremely slow pace, maybe 1/10th of normal speed or so. To test this, you can try adding some seagulls as targets. You’ll see that their wings flap at a very slow rate. I would think that the animation speed should be universal throughout the game. 😉

Another issue I seem to be having with animating landscape objects is that my animation always gets jumbled up when I import it into the game as a landscape object. I can import the model back into MilkShape and it animates properly but, in the game, vertices get slid around in wrong directions and distances and just look horrendous no matter what I try. The funny thing is that the seagull/bat models seem to animate just fine (aside from the speed issue mentioned above) when I use them. This leads me to believe the problem is something I am doing in the process of animating the object, but I figured I would mention it. However, I am thinking the problem may lie in when rotations about the Y (vertical) axis are applied, but thats just an idea. It could also somehow tie into the animation speed issue for all I know as well.

If you want to have a look the animation issues I am having, check out the accessoriesbuildingsmainport_anim.txt model in Apoc. The crane is supposed to just rotate back and forth between the ship and the pile of cargo and look like it is unloading. It gets all messed up when I try to use it as a target in game though. I’ll also be uploading a new model (accessoriespeoplemale1_standing.txt) when I update the server next time that has similar issues (but plays fine when imported into MilkShape). I would really like to get to the bottom of these animation issues because I would love to animate some landscape objects in Apoc. 🙂

Sorry for the long post, I got carried away. As is usual, when it comes to this sort of thing. 😛

Rob

.–.ShoCkwaVe.–.
    Participant

@bobirov wrote:

Just thought I would post some of my findings and requests related to the landscape placements. So, here goes.

I was toying around with the idea (again) of making some of my larger buildings targets and I stumbled across a crash while I was playing around. It seems that supplying a to the target object type crashes the client during the ‘Populating Landscape’ phase of loading. Seemed to be 100% repeatable on my end at least. I am hoping that could be made to work like it does with the ‘model’ object type.

this happens to me 2 😕

@bobirov wrote:

I was also trying to add a ‘none’ type object to a random object group and I was getting an ‘Unknown object type none’ error. I was hoping to have a group of a few objects that randomly choose between a model or nothing at all, to change things up a bit each time. I was thinking I could use the new none placement to just place nothing on the landscape at all as one of the random object choices. Is that an incorrect use of that type? If so, where should the ‘none’ type placement be supplied and what would a proper use of it look like? An example would be much appreciated.

yup i have tried none, off, null, WORK DAMN YOU, STOP, I H8 YOU
    and none of those worked.

@bobirov wrote:

Also, while on the subject of choosing random objects in the placement files, is there a type tag for the random object type? If not, could we get one? I would like to be able to weight the object choices just like you can with WeaponRandomChoice.

cool, I could use that too.

@bobirov wrote:

Another thing I have been noticing is that animation is either very slow or doesn’t work properly with landscape objects. First off, it seems to only be applied to the ‘target’ object type. I think animation needs to be applied universally to all object types. If the model that is referenced contains an animation, play it. One thing to think about is maybe a tag to disable animation on the object. If disabled, the model would hold its default (non-animated) pose. I think animated models on the landscapes working properly would help to enhance the realism of things nicely if done well. 🙂

Also, even though animation seems to be applied to the ‘target’ object type, it is played through at an extremely slow pace, maybe 1/10th of normal speed or so. To test this, you can try adding some seagulls as targets. You’ll see that their wings flap at a very slow rate. I would think that the animation speed should be universal throughout the game. 😉

Another issue I seem to be having with animating landscape objects is that my animation always gets jumbled up when I import it into the game as a landscape object. I can import the model back into MilkShape and it animates properly but, in the game, vertices get slid around in wrong directions and distances and just look horrendous no matter what I try. The funny thing is that the seagull/bat models seem to animate just fine (aside from the speed issue mentioned above) when I use them. This leads me to believe the problem is something I am doing in the process of animating the object, but I figured I would mention it. However, I am thinking the problem may lie in when rotations about the Y (vertical) axis are applied, but thats just an idea. It could also somehow tie into the animation speed issue for all I know as well.

YES!! I totaly agree!! and I am experiencing the same problems to the T

I think animations should somehow be controled by a timing
    step forward rate and not per how many frames you have within
    the 3d software that you made the animations in.

example: when I animate the atat walker.. it looks and performs well
    in milkshape to the exact frame & speed but when it is played in the game
    it is much faster (or) slower depending on how many frames you have.

I am no animating genious but I know the frames per second is off somehow and not as it should be but cant place why it does this
    or how you could add in a tag but it would be nice!

I am trying VERY hard to both animate the ATAT walker to walk in
    still motion at the exact speed the game wants to make it..

so as to edit the speed in the 3d software to match the game so it looks
    JUST RIGHT.. if the atat walks too fast it looks really(( weird ))
    and if it walks too slow …it just isnt an ATAT

feature requests on landscape objects if I may add some to robs please

Similarly what I am stuck in @ this point..

I am having problems with the speed rate the game shows the
    animations wich is the cause of many more things…

1) animating the head to turn from side to side
    as though it was searching and aquiring targets.

2) getting the deep base sound of the mechanics of the atat walking
    to sinc with the steps of the feet.

3) animating the guns to be in sinc with the sound of the gun turrets
    blazing away while its walking as the lower guns under its nose slide
    backward in recoil after everytime it shoots 1 round per gun.

4) all this and I still have not figured out a way to place these
    ATAT Walkers on the map as (placements) so they can slowly
    move like fuel or somehow circle the map like ships in the distance

but im thinking that placing the atat as a ship wouldn’t work for this
    and for several reasons..
    ( reason 1) it would hover at the water level so if i turned
    off water on the map it would apear to be floating.
    ( reason 2) even if it somehow walked on the earth.. the ships
    wake texture that follows the other ships would not look right.

5) I would also be extatic if I could get some type of snow dust
    textures that kicks up when the atat makes steps and then disapates
    and disolves after a couple seconds but that may be too much.

6) tank (or) object tracks that can follow the tank/object as it moves
    editable and similar to the groundmaps so even others can use this
    feature perhaps with a way of timing the way the textures are placed for
    tanks or objects with feet rather then a tank track that just repeats itself onto the surface of the map texture similar to a shadow but disapears after a few seconds like the talk bubble above a tank does.

7)A better way to form shadows to match the angle of the sun to the
    exact from or siloet of the 3d model shape so it reflects a perfect
    image and not a circle that surrounds a square object.

8) boids that can shoot weapons! I am still waiting/needing/hard up for
    a laser light show in the sky in the death star map!

feel free to download the mod at the point its at just to have a gander
    and see if its worth all of your time adding more *special* requests.

if you do these things I WILL NEVER EVER ask you for anything else
    and thats a promise!!

@bobirov wrote:

Sorry for the long post, I got carried away. As is usual, when it comes to this sort of thing. 😛

you mean im not the only one who posts books on wants and Gimmes ?
    …Im with you rob! ..never stop pushing scorched forward ❗

P.S. sorry if i took over your request post or atleast shoved you aside-

I AM DESPERATE!! to get these changes and… I will bite you ❗ 😆

jdog
    Participant

@.-*-.ShoCkwaVe.-*-. wrote:

and see if its worth all of your time adding more *special* requests

where do I find this? If you don’t want everyone to know,PM me it or put it in the privite forum.

.–.ShoCkwaVe.–.
    Participant

@jdog wrote:

@.-*-.ShoCkwaVe.-*-. wrote:

and see if its worth all of your time adding more *special* requests

where do I find this? If you don’t want everyone to know,PM me it or put it in the privite forum.

sure jdog.. all of this is discussed in the mods/models: starwars
    preview post and thrax has set up an alpha testing preview server

also if you want a handoff of scorchwars so you can edit /add your
    own stuff in that info is also in starwars preview posting but will go ahead and send you link in scorch private message.

cheers

Bobirov
    Participant

I have noticed a couple more things.

For one, adding an object as a target instead of a model seems to cause strange issues with transparency. My Nuclear Plant model looks just fine as a model but if I add it as a target I get some strange hazy look on the fence. Its almost like the screen isn’t being cleared properly where the fence is. So if I move the screen around I see an after image where the fence was. This could just be related to my video card/drivers though.

Also, I mentioned above that the tag didn’t seem to work with targets. I am now thinking that the tag doesn’t work at all with targets either. If I convert a placement to a target, it starts to have issues with overlapping other placements, regardless of its mincloseness or border attributes.

I have some really bad luck with using targets. Trying to use them here and there where I can and keep running into these small issues which prevent me from being able to use them. ](*,)

Bobirov
    Participant

@TODO List wrote:

Fixed: Crash when targets are given groupnames
    Fixed: Border attribute now applies to targets
    Fixed: Ships, boids and targets all have same model animation speed

Added: Simulation to models (performance issue?)
    Added: weight attribute to the ObjectRandom placement type
    Added: none placement object type

Bob = happy 🙂

Find anything out about the issues I am having with animation’s getting scrambled? Probably something I have done wrong but I can’t figure it out. The mainport_anim and male1_soldier_standing models can be used to see what I am talking about.

imported_gcamp
    Participant

Think I’ve fixed that too, just that the TODO hasn’t updated yet. Let me know how you get on.

Bobirov
    Participant

@gcamp wrote:

Think I’ve fixed that too, just that the TODO hasn’t updated yet. Let me know how you get on.

OH MAN, I am literally salivating right now at the thought of properly functioning landscape objects that are animated. Weeee! 🙂

I’ll check it out and see what happens.

cbx550f
    Participant

Cool – good stuff!

I’ve been wondering if there’s anything we can do about target shadows. As Shock pointed out, the shadows are the wrong shape. A horrifying example of this is my CN Tower model – it’s all and thin but yields a blob for a shadow. I was thinking maybe we could use a “shadowmap” image for creating shadows? ie: A simple alphamap showing the silhouette of the model.

cbx550f
    Participant

@TODO wrote:

Added: WeaponGiveAccessory, GiveLive, GiveLives, GiveMoney and GiveScore can now remove items

ooooo. 😀

Bobirov
    Participant

@cbx550f wrote:

I’ve been wondering if there’s anything we can do about target shadows. As Shock pointed out, the shadows are the wrong shape. A horrifying example of this is my CN Tower model – it’s all and thin but yields a blob for a shadow. I was thinking maybe we could use a “shadowmap” image for creating shadows? ie: A simple alphamap showing the silhouette of the model.

I’ll second this request. The default shadow just looks terrible on large objects and so forth. 🙂

Bobirov
    Participant

Just so you know, I did have a brief look at the animation changes this weekend. My port model seems to play flawlessly now. But I was still having some very minor issues with the Soldier model still, its MUCH better than before, but his lower arms seem to be rotating from the wrist instead of the elbow. This is probably my fault though, when I get some more time I’m going to try to re-animate him and see what happens.

It is so nice to have animation working better now, I can’t wait to have some fun with that. 🙂

Bobirov
    Participant

@TODO List wrote:

Added: Tank tracks during movement (tracks defined in tanks.xml)

Shockwave will appreciate that one I am sure. 🙂

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.