This topic contains 8 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Panther30 9 years, 11 months ago.

• Author

PeanutsRevenge
    Participant

Would it be possible / could it be inplimented to have the option of permenantly ignoring people in the game, as per everything in life, there are people that we do not get on with and whos every word grates…

The ignore function is there and can be activated anytime, which takes away the arguement that it would create tension n stuff, but activating every time u connect is annoying…

Rommel
    Participant

Hmmmm … The answer to your question is yes. @peanutsrevenge wrote:

Would it be possible / could it be inplimented to have the option of permenantly ignoring people in the game, as per everything in life, there are people that we do not get on with and whos every word grates…

The ignore function is there and can be activated anytime, which takes away the arguement that it would create tension n stuff, but activating every time u connect is annoying…

It would be possible to have a list of players that you put on permanent mute. It would also be possible to have the game kick you immediately if someone you don’t like logs on. It would also be possible to write a translator that converts “Kiss my foot you big dummy!” to “Kiss me you fool!” The key word being kiss.

Most likely, there aren’t too many things you would request that aren’t possible to put in the game if they are possible to code. Level of difficulty is what you have to consider.

Using the mute feature until there is nothing else we can find that would be a more benificial use of our programmer’s time seems best to me but I’m funny like that. A better solution might be for you to write the code and submit it for consideration. That’s the beauty of open source. Anyone can make an improvement and submit it for inclusion into the next release.

You’ve already got a substancial amount of the code you’ll need included in the server files. The server has the permanent mute feature included which prevents specified players from sending any chat messages at all. You can modify that pretty easily. Implementation might prove more trouble than it’s worth to you but I wish you well.

After you get that finished give me a yell and I’ll give you some more ideas.

Rommel

Mcb Lover
    Participant

stop crying on public nut..shame on you…all developers now started to think about your silly button..just mute me and all problems.. 😛

PeanutsRevenge
    Participant

Some very good points as usual Rommel thanks.

It was less of a, is it poss and more can it BE done (which upon re-reading was clear), but your right, it is a waste of valuable resources.

I really dont like coding, but it might be worth me bothering to have a play.

parasti
    Participant

@rommel wrote:

more benificial use of our programmer’s time seems best to me

I have read this one before, but I still can’t really make out your point. First, I’m sure The Programmer is perfectly capable of making decisions on his own. Second — and I’m sorry to burst a bubble — The Programmer is hardly the only person capable of making modifications to the code. Sometimes getting an idea out is enough to have someone else interested enough to implement it. In any case, sharing of ideas should be encouraged not downplayed.

Rommel
    Participant

What we have heeuh is a failuh to communicate.@parasti wrote:

@rommel wrote:

more benificial use of our programmer’s time seems best to me

I have read this one before, but I still can’t really make out your point. First, I’m sure The Programmer is perfectly capable of making decisions on his own. Second — and I’m sorry to burst a bubble — The Programmer is hardly the only person capable of making modifications to the code. Sometimes getting an idea out is enough to have someone else interested enough to implement it. In any case, sharing of ideas should be encouraged not downplayed.

From the movie Cool Hand Luke. It appears you misunderstood my intent but fortnately PeanutsRevenge understood.

I thought I encouraged him to take a look at the code and see it if it was something he might like to persue and submit for consideration. That was the reason I mentioned the server code. I hope I didn’t seem condesending, and that the tone of my reply was more nurturing than yours. 😉 It wasn’t my intention to discourage the sharing of ideas.

I welcome anyone to make an improvemnet and would love to find someone that would like to tackle a few of the ideas I’ve been kicking around. As you may have noticed from the screen shots I posted, we have a problem with OpenGL fog and Shader fog not being balanced. However, at the moment we have a problem with dropped connections and considering the flurry of posts from Gavin over the past couple of days, I’m fairly certain that has top priority for now and rightly so. Then there is the issue of the hack. If it is on the priority list, then it would most likely be pretty high too. So for the time being I’ve put the fog maps on the back burner in the hopes that this will be resolved after the larger fires have been put out.

I still remember my sticky note reply to A Bananna and how he broke it off in me by pointing out that he didn’t ask for implementation, he simply asked if the option was available. 😛 In case you missed it, I immediately issued a public apology which I later followed up with a PM. Sadly, both were ignored.

Hopefully, I learned something from that exchange. If I felt that my reply to PeanutsRevenge was wrong or harsh, I’d happily send in a retraction or an apology but this isn’ one of those instances.

Back to the topic: PeanutsRevenge, if you do decide to jump on this or any other modification and you want someone to bounce some ideas off of, feel free to give me a yell. I’m not sure if I could be of any help but I’ve still got all of my books and would try to help in anyway I could.

I must do something soon,

Rommel

Panther30
    Participant

Peanut, I agree there are certain players that just grate on your nerves. I’ve come across a few recently, myself. I have no workable solution for you, however.

Laptops Daddy
    Participant

i wonder how many of your closest friends and relatives you would despise had you never met them in person.

use the clashes to your advantage. this is never an ideal means of communication.

recognise the limitations of internet interaction. any disputes or hostility are just as likely due to your inadequacies in interpretation. : ) biased inflections, language barriers…

you know it takes two. grow a thicker skin and some testicles, peanuts.

PeanutsRevenge
    Participant

So your going to tell me that there aren’t ppl in the ‘real’ world that you just cant stand and usually just walk away from as you know you’d just hit shold u have to listen to what they say for more than 5 minutes?

I have an annoying habit of taking the bait, bitchy arguements in a game are not what people want to see, so its for everyone else that I think this would be useful, its not just a selfish thing.

Panther30
    Participant

@laptops Daddy wrote:

i wonder how many of your closest friends and relatives you would despise had you never met them in person.

use the clashes to your advantage. this is never an ideal means of communication.

recognise the limitations of internet interaction. any disputes or hostility are just as likely due to your inadequacies in interpretation. : ) biased inflections, language barriers…

you know it takes two. grow a thicker skin and some testicles, peanuts.

LD, thats it right there. there are even some family members I despise even before meeting them. once again this is quite personal and I relaly dont care to go into it.

and Peanut, yes,. there are players on mains that I have come across lately whose attitudes I just cannot stand. I have taken to not entering the server when they are in, or leaving the game when they enter. As I said above it’s not the best solution (esp not for a mod developer), but I play the game to have a little fun and not for stats (at least not anymore, even on my own servers).

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.