This topic contains 21 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  jdog 10 years, 1 month ago.

• Author

cbx550f
    Participant

My experience agrees with Lappy on this: IIRC I experience worse performance with mor fog than with less. Might well be the opposite to someone with a card/driver that supports and/or is efficient with different things.

Cool map, btw, Lappy. Reminds me of the cbx550f map I was working on a few years back (lost interest before it got anywhere near as cool looking as that lol)

cbx

Laptops Daddy
    Participant

@cbx550f wrote:

Cool map, btw, Lappy. Reminds me of the cbx550f map…

thanks. it was actually nowhere near as time consuming as you might think.

if you’re interested, it’s a 3d model of a bike i downloaded off the internet.

simple method:

self-illuminated greyscale gradient applied down the z axis in 3ds max, rendered from top orthographic (for the height map). then for the texturing, all textures are black, and the bike detail is a level-sized ground map. (another rendering from the same viewport, but this time with materials and light).

the screenshots may be a little misleading. they have roam turned off and a lot of aa. still, it turned out ok. i entered it into the contest thread.

PeanutsRevenge
    Participant

Damn, sweet map lappy!

As for the fog, I am with Ltd aswell, fog is a tricky thing for a graphics cards to render, if you think about the LEAPS that have been taken with fog effects in games over the last few years it shows how tricky it is to do.
    However, with this games level of water detail and draw distance I believe it would (on average) keep around the same fps as shown in Ltd’s screen grabs.

The AI
    Participant

Fog is also twitchy on the Xml end. It is also different from 40.1 to 41.1 if you look at screen shots. I found that I had no adverse fps in foggy maps compared to non-foggy, but I had to work it a lot to get past the gray wall of doom. Also, a small thought that needs might go somewhere if I can get any info on how fog is coded, the fog on that map was eclipsing it, no surrounding it. Making it so you were going in and out of fog all the time.

It was also a bad example of what fog is, the gray wall of doom (GWOD) is not the only thing that can be done with fog, I am using it as a pseudo lighting effect in a Silth lair map I am making, with the water lighting settings, you can match the fog to it directly.

Try 0.0017 for the fog, and match it to your wave light. It makes creepiness easy, and I at least am not seeing any fps drop, a multi-user test might be in order to figure this all out.

I am still seeing Scottish moors though, spook mod needs some…….

BigBear
    Participant

I don’t know nearly enough about gfx to make up my mind about what I think about fog. What I do know is that it’s rather silly to make a yes/no poll that asks “do you want better fps???”. Sheesh, if you are gonna do a poll, at least take the time to write decent questions/options. 😛 😉

The AI
    Participant

This was posted before 41.1 different version, different fog. In 40.1 fog was massively effective for fps, then 41.1 came out, fog can still work, but is less effective than in 40.1.

If I just asked if people wanted fog, they wouldn’t know what they would gain, would you have known?

The name of all of this was Past the Walls, not “do you want better fps.”
    Did I not state all that I knew of of fog, what was good, what was bad? Did I not say that it was based solely on my experience?
    The question is a yes or no, some said yes, some said no.
    Even if the stock servers don’t use fog, the awareness of fog is now greater, so new modders know more of a resource that is not often used.

Also, within 41.1 I have been still using fog, because it looks good, and I have no deficit using it.

If the thoughts I had within my mind were applied, fog and view distance would be two separate things, one controlled Xml side, and the other used with a frame rate manager.

Rommel
    Participant

I just played a game of Apoc at ApocHQ FFA and was treated to a map with fairly dense fog (the castle map). I didn’t have the frame rate displayed but the map played fine and looked really good with graphics set to Max and running full screen at 1,440 X 900 or was that 1440,000,000 X 900,000,000 ?

@The AI wrote:

If the thoughts I had within my mind were applied, fog and view distance would be two separate things, one controlled Xml side, and the other used with a frame rate manager.

Either way, 😉 I liked the effect and will play around with the fog again after I get back up and running. It’s been nearly a month since I made the rest assured statement and if things go well this weekend, I’ll request a couple of testers soon.

I must get back to work on the server now. Krieg ohne Hass

Sincerely,

Generalfeldmarschall Erwin J. E. Rommel

jdog
    Participant

@cbx550f wrote:

My experience agrees with Lappy on this: IIRC I experience worse performance with mor fog than with less. Might well be the opposite to someone with a card/driver that supports and/or is efficient with different things.

Cool map, btw, Lappy. Reminds me of the cbx550f map I was working on a few years back (lost interest before it got anywhere near as cool looking as that lol)

cbx

You must have hated my Hell cavern with all the fog in it.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.