This topic contains 21 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  jdog 10 years, 1 month ago.

• Author

The AI
    Participant

In scorched, you can see all the way to the horizon, this seemingly endless expanse of water is always there, even out past the surround.

For neg, I don’t like that, so i added some fog to bring it in a bit, and what do I find? an increase of my fps. With the amount of issue people are having with fps, using fog to drag in the borders also can retain the quality of the game. Fog is not often used, but it can lend atmosphere to a map, it makes the dark ones spooky, and the light ones surreal, or it can be blended with the color of the water to “hide” the fog. I yet again hit upon the fact that it will also allow people to retain higher settings, so they can
    see why they are playing 41.

ORCACommander
    Participant

I like this as long as some of the surround is still being seen

The AI
    Participant

Fog can be scaled with ease. Also, large amounts of maps don’t have surround. The fog is simply within the tex file code for each map, it would be a small change file size. It also should be noted that with the size of the maps for stock scorched, you can add a large amount of fog and still see the entire map with surround.

What I am suggesting would not make all maps like the largely foggy one that I made. All of my maps have fog, just to draw it all in a bit, to save fps. Also, the surround does not go out far, if the fog and surround are edge to edge, it might give a misty moors look, not a bad one.

Deathstryker
    Participant

I’ve always had a hunch that part of the FPS dip is due to the excessive detail in the water far away. It really doesn’t need to be that detailed far away.

Is it possible to adjust the mipmap level for the water detail far away and see if that makes it faster?

The AI
    Participant

I have no clue about adjusting the mip maps, but here is another suggestion for fps. The max fps setting could possibly also be expanded to have the minimum fps also, and then have the game control fog and other settings actively to maintain the set fps level. It would most likely require a major reworking of the code though, with the use of Xml, but I am not sure. Could a more knowing person chime in for that part?

Deathstryker
    Participant

How would a min. FPS work when that requires everyone’s computer to be up to par? I mean, the only way a computer would go below a minimum anyway is if it has to.

Like, what would happen if you have it set to min of say 25 and your comp needed to dip down to 15 for a death’s head. What would happen? Would your comp catch on fire?

Or do you just mean the min FPS would be like a trigger point only for the game to try to make up for the lag?

Thrax
    Participant

@deathstryker wrote:

How would a min. FPS work when that requires
    everyone’s computer to be up to par? I mean, the only way a computer
    would go below a minimum anyway is if it has to.

Like, what would happen if you have it set to min of say 25 and your
    comp needed to dip down to 15 for a death’s head. What would happen?
    Would your comp catch on fire?

Or do you just mean the min FPS would be like a trigger point only for the
    game to try to make up for the lag?

Maybe like a trigger.. to allow auto-frame-skipping, preventing lag, and
    letting you at least see what’s happening.. if not in the best detail.
    It’s a possibility, similar to some console-Emulators.

The AI
    Participant

If you assume that someone can run 41 at absolute minimum, you take that base fps, at the minimum settings and never have your preset minimum above that, then the game would take the minimum and maximum fps, and modulate the settings from those benchmarks, it could also be possible to set how it modulates, which ones to drop or raise first.

With something like that spoken of above, lots more could play, but it would be a major amount of work.

Whilst the fog can be done and the changes uploaded to the server in a single day.

So it all depends on whether or not 41 will be rewritten so soon after release, or if fog will be tried.

Also, for the death head example, detail would be cut for that moment, either fog would roll in, or textures would lower, or particles would drop, or the water would freeze. Depending on how everything was set.

The AI
    Participant

I must also note that in the application of fog, big numbers are bad numbers. If anyone has questions on fogging their maps; give me a jab.

KTM Rider
    Participant

For The Elderscrolls: Oblivion, there is a program that auto-adjusts detail level based on fps. It works through an external program (Script Extender) to modify view distances, shadows, detail level, etc. to bring the game within a specified range. I have it set from 35 to 45, if my fps goes above 45, it dials in some more detail, if it drops below 35, it cuts detail until it goes back above. We need something like this for Scorched.

And so far, my PC hasn’t caught fire. (although my 8800GTS came close).

Deathstryker
    Participant

On the subject of Oblivion, I think it’d be a nice option for far away objects to move at a reduced frame rate to help speed up the game. Like ships and birds.

KTM Rider
    Participant

I think that would make them look too jerky. Maybe you could drop a couple fps, but then the performance effect would be negligible.

At the moment, I have my setting dropped considerably, and my fps still drops below 10 once and awhile.

Deathstryker
    Participant

@KTM Rider wrote:

I think that would make them look too jerky. Maybe you could drop a couple fps, but then the performance effect would be negligible.

At the moment, I have my setting dropped considerably, and my fps still drops below 10 once and awhile.

That’s why it’s an OPTION and not mandatory. Of course they will be jerky (mmm… jerky) but you have a choice here to help speed up or to not put up with jerkiness.

BOY
    Participant

I have always thought the fog was cool effect. Perhaps it could be a user defined setting in stead of map defined 🙂

Laptops Daddy
    Participant

I think you’re barking up the wrong tree. Turning on fog is just as likely to slow things down as speed them up. (It didn’t make any different at all when I tested it just). Plus the water LOD thing is pretty efficient already.

fog 0.000:

fog 0.001:

fog 0.003:

Graphics cards vary a lot. It’s not as simple as “less detail means higher frame rate”. If you ask me, fps is more influenced by a cards features and the drivers you’re using*. There isn’t a fixed rule.

I think it’s best people experiment with driver options and scorched settings; we just need to spread the word on how/why/where to find them.

*(small print : ) I think a key point here is balance. It’s all relative. To any graphics card capable of running v41 with full water, a bit of extra fog, or a few extra inches of surround will have negligible performance impact. (i.e. fractions of a frame per second). If the card struggles with the water (for example), it could very well also struggle with fog (feature-set wise), and you could well end up reducing frame rate before you improve it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.