This topic contains 14 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  cbx550f 11 years, 10 months ago.

  • Author
    Posts
  • #4049

    Cinnibar
    Participant

    Touchy subject here…

    So I’m on last night, and in one particular game, I’m not doing so well. Frankly, I’m doing terrible. Not unusual. But there’s one fellow I won’t name who apparently has it in for me, and regardless of the fact that I’m nowhere near him as a threat, nor do I have the money, he’s picking me out as his first target over and over and over again.

    Either it was some sort of grudge thing or something, but I returned the favor and smeared him a couple times. Eventually he left. But it’s not the first time this player has gotten fixated on me, so I’m kinda nervous.

    I’ve gotten into unspoken “grudge” type fights before… in specific, one of the first times I was on the main server, Wowbagger pasted me two or three times because I was a sitting duck and I tried unsuccessfully to extract revenge for the remainder of that game. He caught on that I was consistantly shooting (and missing) him, so he pasted me a couple times and mentioned it. Short version : we made light of it, it was no big deal, we let it go (I think).

    But I think there’s at least one player who’s holding a serious grudge of some sort against me. Maybe I’m paranoid. I figure, there are LOTS of people shooting at me, heck, even *I* shoot at me occasionally…

    Side mention : Anyone else ever CBX by shooting rollers downhill?

    … but it’s all fun and games, or at least, I like to think it is. Sure, attack the guy in the lead of the game, pile on the one guy in the center of the map, or shoot DW because he’s filming… but is it just me or do certain people just get “locked in” to one player and pound on him specifically?

    For the record, I try not to hold grudges, but from round to round and game to game, if I notice someone shooting at me, I’ll abandon my current target and shoot back. Most of it is just threat-assessment, but it builds up in a feedback loop and I’m antagonizing someone who’s already mad…

    Side note #2 : Perhaps that explains cbx. He made himself mad by killing himself, and all the remaining cbx’s were just revenge?

    #25545

    BigBear
    Participant

    I seriosly doubt that you are going to get any consensus on this topic. That said, as long as the opponent isn’t going after you verbally as well as trying to ‘single you out’ I wouldn’t make a big deal out of it.

    Slightly relating to this topic I have a question of my own. Is it just me that think it seems like in a lot of games that you tend to be positioned very close to the same player round after round, more or less forcing a duel within the game? I seem to get this feeling relatively often, and espescially when facing an opponent less skilled (or more skilled for that matter) I can see how this can get frustrating (I know I think so when for example joining late and ending up next to the one guy with all the cash each round). It is a minor concern for me by all accounts, by I would still be interested in other players thoughts on this (imagined?) issue.

    #25546

    Cinnibar
    Participant

    @bigbear wrote:

    Slightly relating to this topic I have a question of my own. Is it just me that think it seems like in a lot of games that you tend to be positioned very close to the same player round after round, more or less forcing a duel within the game?

    I’ve had this happen to me as well, but not so often that I think it’s anything other than random chance.

    Most times it’s just an occasion for “You AGAIN?” humor. I don’t really consider that frustrating because if I’m parked next to the same guy, I already have an idea of what he might try based on what he did last round.

    Irritating is when the same two players get dropped next to each other and truce every single time.

    #25547

    BigBear
    Participant

    @cinnibar wrote:

    Irritating is when the same two players get dropped next to each other and truce every single time.

    All I have to say about that pesky business is … FUNKYtime!!!! 😀

    #25548

    BOY
    Participant

    looks like you are number 1, all the reason I would need to shoot you relentlessly. that or the fact that last time i saw you were weren’t wearing any pants, not sure.

    #25549

    Cinnibar
    Participant

    @boy wrote:

    … or the fact that last time i saw you were weren’t wearing any pants, not sure.

    Pants are for the weak!

    ((besides, think of all the money I save on belts and suspenders))

    #25550

    NoMoreSteve
    Participant

    @bigbear wrote:

    I seriosly doubt that you are going to get any consensus on this topic. That said, as long as the opponent isn’t going after you verbally as well as trying to ‘single you out’ I wouldn’t make a big deal out of it.

    Speaking for myself and the other voices that occupy my head, we seem to agree that people can be singled out for different reasons:

    * being higher ranked than another. We like to shoot at them because odds are, they’ll be shooting at us soon enough, so take them out now.
    * to someone from getting enough cash to build up an onslaught. The less kills that other person gets,s the less money they’ll have to kill you with. (this theory really only works if you can get them into an early deficit early and force them to take some chances in spending)
    * for the sheer fun of it. (Gosh, did I actually say the “f” word?). I know cbx and I will get into it from time to time, but we don’t take each other seriously. (Actually, we can’t take each other seriously calling each other “bastige”. I swear, last night, there was enough “bastiges” on the floor to where you’d have to clean them off of the floor with a pushbroom!)

    All in all, we shouldn’t make more out of things than they really are. It’s all for fun.

    BTW: that CBX by shooting rollers downhill was quite odd. It’s the things like this that make this game fun. The oddities that pop up from time to time. You could almost complete your side mention as:

    “Excuse me. Have you ever CBX’ed by shooting rollers downhill with the devil in the pale moonlight?” (Sorry, I just got done watching Batman.)

    Now if you excuse us, we must go now and seek out our medication.

    Skittles, you say? Sure!

    #25551

    BOY
    Participant

    S K I T T L E S !

    #25552

    Cinnibar
    Participant

    I feel I need a follow-up here…

    I was basically venting while looking for a little advice on how to handle this type of thing when it happens. Instead, I think I made a couple people paranoid about whether it might be them. I apologize for that, I was just looking for some general advice.

    To be clear on this, I wasn’t singling someone out, it’s not one of the board regulars, but I’m not going to get into who it was because I don’t want to focus unnecessary attention on them if I’m just being an asshat.

    #25553

    Cinnibar
    Participant

    @boy wrote:

    looks like you are number 1…

    Yeah, it didn’t last. Vihor’s racking up the kills far faster than I can. I spend too much time trying to win games/rounds rather than get kills.

    I wish I could find time to play when he’s on so I could actually see how good he is.

    Rank is BS anyway. I’m not even one of the top ten players by actual skill.

    #25554

    comedown
    Participant

    @cinnibar wrote:

    Vihor’s racking up the kills far faster than I can. I spend too much time trying to win games/rounds rather than get kills.

    I wish I could find time to play when he’s on so I could actually see how good he is.

    I just played two great games with him, 1 on 1, ‘Missile/Chute/Battery’ rules.

    About 60% of his kills (my deaths 🙁 ) were achieved in 2 shots or less. It was actually scary.

    My behind was well and truly kicked. He’s right up there with Demi etc. from what I’ve seen today.

    Be afraid, Cinn!

    Side note:
    @cinnibar wrote:

    asshat

    I never tire of that word.

    #25555

    Cinnibar
    Participant

    @comedown wrote:

    My behind was well and truly kicked. He’s right up there with Demi etc. from what I’ve seen today.

    Be afraid, Cinn!

    Not afraid… eager. I like playing the best, bigger the challenge, better I play.

    #25556

    Ebonite
    Participant

    Just want to put in my two cents.

    From what Cinn has said about the offender not being a forum regular and not speaking to Cinn in game, I would guess that it’s some guy (or gal, but likely guy) trying to “pay back” Cinn for some wrong (real or imagined) inflicted upon him at some point in the past. The “what” is not really important now, but it seems this gentleman has some issues with letting it go. Cinn has some options here on how he can deal with it.

    1.) Ignore it. Let the guy vent whatever frustration out and let it run its course.

    2.) Address the guy in game and ask if there is a problem, and if so, see if it can be fixed.

    3.) PM an admin or two and ask them to observe during the likely times for both Cinn and Mr. X are playing. There are standards against player harrassment, and if an admin witnesses it, they can take an appropriate action, even if it is only to talk to the guy.

    There was a player in the past, “Moke-a-joke” who would come in and exclusively target one player for the entirety of a game, or even longer. A lot of players complained about it, and steps were taken that ended with administrative action. But as most of these instances turn out to be a misunderstanding or one player venting some steam, try not to take it too seriously unless it affects your enjoyment of the game.

    As to being targeted due to threat assessments, I have a long history of being the first to go, despite my comparatively low rank. A lot of regular “old-timer” players know me and how I play, and rate me higher on their threat scale than my rank would indicate. I’m not naming any names (Wowbagger), but they like to make sure I’m “taken care of” when we play together because experience has taught them that I can steal wins out from under them if I’m left alone for too long.

    Yes, sometimes it is frustrating, but I do recognize the honor they accord me by doing this, and also realize it’s not personal. They genuinely hold me that high in their esteem that they feel the need to eliminate me to secure their own win. It’s just something one learns to live with and adapt to. I have found that I must think outside the box quite a bit to get around this particular obstacle. 😈

    #25557

    DireWolf
    Participant

    Howdee Cinn, I am not paranoid 😯 but you have mentioned about a few of your death scenes in previous vids……

    just wanted to let u know it is all in fun 😀 I hope its not me but…..
    if it is, there is never any bad intent behind it, and I do have to say, you are getting very good, i watched you go from noob status to someone to be feared in a very short time, I know the feeling of being singled out trust me!
    because I am filming i guess, it sure aint my skills 😕
    but i am cool with it, just know, the higher rank, the more you become a target, success sux sometimes huh? 😈

    #25558

    Cinnibar
    Participant

    @direwolf wrote:

    Howdee Cinn, I am not paranoid 😯 but you have mentioned about a few of your death scenes in previous vids……

    just wanted to let u know it is all in fun 😀 I hope its not me but…..

    No worries. I know that it’s a requirement to die in spectacular fashion to make the cut. That’s why cbx appears so often.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.