This topic contains 22 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Thrax 10 years ago.

• Author

Bobirov
    Participant

Got a server running the most up to date version of Operation: Scorched. Has a few things different from the old v40.1 version:

Cargo drops: There is a C130 that flys around on both Airfield and 2forts that randomly drops cargo boxes. The cargo boxes always give you some of your main gun ammo, some grenades and a random, powerful weapon (claymores, m79, RPG, mortars, etc).

New RPG : Can sometimes be obtained from the cargo boxes the C130 drops. Basically just a nice grenade launcher but the projectile is very fast and has thrust.

New Claymore Mines : Scout gets them by default, but available in C130 cargo as well. You can set them close to your current location, then you can use the supplied detonators to detonate the claymore. To use a detonator, you’ll have to select it, then click on the landscape right where the claymore is set. The different detonators(0,3,5) delay for that many seconds before triggering the claymore. If an enemy is close to the claymore when it detonates, the shrapnel will spray out in their direction. Note that claymores will also detonate if driven over (like a land mine).

Better bots : they still suck really, but they do try a bit. Defense bots should shoot mortars or other weapons at you if you get close enough. Offense bots should pretty much just throw themselves at the enemy and try to look cool in the process. 😉

Slightly longer movement ranges : Walk, Jog and Run are a tad longer than they were previously. Its not much, but hopefully it helps a bit on 2forts. Its not really an issue on Airfield it is a standard size map.

Note that changing your class(tank) mid-game is still impossible unless you run out of lives I think. You might have to relog if you wanna switch classes before a map change.

Currently the server is only running the 2forts and airfield maps. Its also set at 30 turns per round, down from 40 previously. I did that so hopefully people won’t have to wait as long for a round to end, but it may not really be enough time to fully exploit 2forts.

Bobirov
    Participant

If you wanna save some time downloading off the server, you can grab the packaged mod from the S3D Mods project. I recommend using the .s3m file and importing the mod using Scorched 3D’s mod import system. A standard zip is provided as well if you want to install the mod manually.

To import a mod from an s3m file, do this:

1) Download the .s3m file somewhere and remember where
    2) Start Scorched 3D
    3) Click Settings
    4) Click on the ‘mods’ tab at the top
    5) Click on the import button
    6) Locate the mod’s .s3m file you downloaded and click Open

That should do it I think.

LigH
    Participant

1) is already not the easiest thing… “Operation: Scorched” was published in S3M format on SourceForge. I was able to spot some old links on the Adventurers’ FTP server, modified the URLs (40.1 => 41), and downloaded ScorchWars and JDog mods in a probably v41 compatible version. At least I hope so, but…

6) I select the S3M file in the settings of Version 41.1, and as soon as I confirm the dialog, the game disappears without any error message.
    __

P.S.:

Thrax told me via IRC that I probably downloaded the S3M files incompletely. But crashing to nowhere is not a useful behaviour in case of corrupted files.

I’ll start a bug report.

Bobirov
    Participant

Try downloading the ZIP file and extracting it you your .scorched3d/mods folder.

Can grab either the S3M or the ZIP from the Mod Project’s files page.

LigH
    Participant

That may work for “Operation Scorched”…

But is there a ZIP file for

– ScorchWars
    – JDog
    – Raptor
    – StoneAge
    – Merge
    – BlackRose

available anywhere? Probably not (yet).

And because I have a satellite connection here which requires a software proxy, and that does not support UDP, I am unable to download mods via the game client.

Thrax
    Participant

@ligh wrote:

That may work for “Operation Scorched”…

But is there a ZIP file for
    – ScorchWars
    – JDog
    – Raptor
    – StoneAge
    – Merge
    – BlackRose
    available anywhere? Probably not (yet).

And because I have a satellite connection here which requires a software
    proxy, and that does not support UDP, I am unable to download mods via
    the game client.

I will make them available to you shortly. All but Scorchwars, since it’s
    currently under major overhaul, and the exe can’t propperly play the
    sounds in it.

It was only for 1 day that the public even considered trying mods, and
    that was only due to the main server failure. The players that entered
    said they were stunned and thrilled… then.. never returned.
    Thier excuse? “All my friends are on mains.”… they wouldnt be, if
    you moved to a new place and invited them.

Op-scorched is a great party if there’s more than 4 humans.
    Mains get full daily, plugged solid, and those that cannot enter just give up.
    I find it hard to believe that with players across the whole globe, there’s
    only 12 slots in a single server worth filling.

LigH
    Participant

True, true…

There are few who can not. There are some who may find it complicated. Some may not even be interested. 2 Mio downloads does not mean 2 Mio online players. And it is not the same feeling as e.g. an MMORPG. I may like to play one or another round per available mod, and fine. I don’t even feel like playing every weekend. I may have to get used to this type of game.

Balance is an important part. You will always have rather distinct players per mod. Every mod has its own “soul”. Not every player gets it equally easily. And when frustration arises (e.g. about over-powerful bots, or about specific players), such people may never return.

It is possible that tourneys may catch players for some time. But after all, it is a matter of taste.
    __

Running a server isn’t hard either. Setting it up conveniently is, though…

doom
    Participant

Black Rose is long gone.

Oh, and can someone update Best of Scorched 3d?

Thrax
    Participant

@doom wrote:

Black Rose is long gone.

Oh, and can someone update Best of Scorched 3d?

Black-Rose is alive and well, and still online. Both the classic mod.. and
    the real person. Look a little harder next time.

And yes, I do plan to convert Best-of; Once i’ve got a few more projects
    out of the way.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.