This topic contains 22 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Thrax 9 years, 11 months ago.

• Author

BOY
    Participant

the mod is really looking good, I only got to play it for 30 minutes or so, but I hope I can still give some useful critique about the current map you’re testing.

The default weapon was dig-up, because it was a select location weapon, I could not click the ground to adjust view unless I changed weapons. It was odd too, even when mp-5 was selected, the dig-up was always on for the next shot, i had to change it each time.

How many per team is a good number to have a chance to get the safe?

the vehicle movement type was about triple the walk/jog distance which doesn’t seem very good. On that map, the vehicles were far enough away from my starting point that it was not any easier to cross the bridge after getting it than just using walk the entire way.

The shield generators seem really hard to blow up, are there not any bazookas anywhere? How about mortars? Anyway, they take a while to kill, and the level was not long enough for me to get a crack at them and still go for the safe. The shield over the safe did not blow up when the shield generator was killed, why not? How do you kill that one?

The jets and ships were really small relative to the soldiers. No biggie though.

even though the instructions told me there were other options for tanks, I had only the random option available at the start, I dunno who I was, but I had an mp5 and an m9 pistol. what is goin on there?

special water weapons would be sweet for this mod…….. Gavin?

more later… 🙂

doom
    Participant

AWSOME! more turrets and weapons would be good.

Thrax
    Participant

How many per team is a good number to have a chance to get the
    safe?

Alone, a player can theoretically blow an undefended safe in minimum 13
    turns. More humans, more difficulty.. 😀

the vehicle movement type was about triple the walk/jog distance
    which doesn’t seem very good. On that map, the vehicles were far
    enough away from my starting point that it was not any easier to cross the
    bridge after getting it than just using walk the entire way.

Supposed to be that way. normal walk rates depend on class.. but
    anyone can hijack the vehical and try a run for it.

The shield generators seem really hard to blow up, are there not
    any bazookas anywhere? How about mortars? Anyway, they take a
    while to kill, and the level was not long enough for me to get a crack at
    them and still go for the safe. The shield over the safe did not blow up
    when the shield generator was killed, why not? How do you kill that one?

Errr… that one ‘can’ be damaged, but you’d need more than 80 turns of
    blasting at it. blasting the Gen helps you clear a path .. but the safe still
    has to be taken by hand.

even though the instructions told me there were other options for
    tanks, I had only the random option available at the start, I dunno who I
    was, but I had an mp5 and an m9 pistol. what is goin on there?

That… is related to the config setting’s you chose for texture details.
    Lower settings shows fewer tanks. it’s a detail-level thing..
    Set your “Level of detail > Texture sizes” to medium. and all 4
    tank-class options should appear.

Bobirov
    Participant

Well Thrax pretty much said it all. But I’ll say it again.. 😛

The default weapon was dig-up, because it was a select location weapon, I could not click the ground to adjust view unless I changed weapons. It was odd too, even when mp-5 was selected, the dig-up was always on for the next shot, i had to change it each time.

You must have played a few days ago. The dig-up issue should already be fixed. I moved it over to the defense category so it no longer shows up in the weapons window but does show up in the main weapon list (the little bomb). I haven’t had any issues with auto-selecting weapons since I moved all the position select stuff to defense.

I’ve also fixed up riflerange and airfield a bit and have added them to the map rotation to help mix things up a bit. I have a feeling that everyone still likes 2forts the best though. 😛

How many per team is a good number to have a chance to get the safe?

Like Thrax said, its easy to do with only one person. The more humans you have, the harder it gets because you have to manage to get through all the defenders. The key to the entire 2forts map is have an engineer. Their explosives can take out any of the buildings with one shot. Its still possible to crack the safe without an engineer though, just takes a bit longer.

The vehicle movement type was about triple the walk/jog distance which doesn’t seem very good. On that map, the vehicles were far enough away from my starting point that it was not any easier to cross the bridge after getting it than just using walk the entire way.

Its actually best to save your vehicle fuel for a few more turns after you get it and start using it once you get a bit closer to the enemy base. You can use it to blast past their defense quite effectively. And the distance is is almost triple the soldier’s maximum range and double the scouts maximum range per turn, just so you know.

The shield generators seem really hard to blow up, are there not any bazookas anywhere? How about mortars? Anyway, they take a while to kill, and the level was not long enough for me to get a crack at them and still go for the safe. The shield over the safe did not blow up when the shield generator was killed, why not? How do you kill that one?

Again, only takes one set of the engineer’s explosives to take out the generator. Or, if you’re lazy, wait a bit for some airstrikes to spawn. You can take it out with two airstrikes. I think its just fine if you utilize the proper tools. 😉

And as for the shield above the safe not popping when you take out the generator, lets just say that THAT shield uses a backup generator system. I don’t remove it because it would be WAY too easy to just pop the generator and then airstrike the safe for a lame victory. So I leave that shield there to FORCE players to do it the proper way by busting a hole in the wall and hitting the safe with regular weaponry.

even though the instructions told me there were other options for tanks, I had only the random option available at the start, I dunno who I was, but I had an mp5 and an m9 pistol. what is goin on there?

There are currently 4 classes at the moment, although I have some ideas for at least one more I may add in the future. I think Thrax nailed it on the head when he said to check your detail settings. This is the second time I’ve heard of this and I never though about the detail levels being an issue. And if you had an mp5 you were either an engineer or a medic.

a banana
    Participant

Played this somewhat again tonight. First time I’ve seen the shooting range (not totally keen on it) and airfield (liked that one a lot) maps.

We had 4 humans on the red team, but one of them actually spawned at the start of the shooting range map in amongst the targets on the blue side. Also, the map is much more fun (well, I think it is anyhow) when you blast the central forcewall and then just kill the opposition — a few well placed engineers bombs (or m79 shells) will take it down 😆

On the same map, one of the blue team died and respawned in the river. Not too much of an issue, but a bit weird.

Great fun on there, though, but getting a lot of players disconnecting due to not wanting to wait for ages to play…

Bobirov
    Participant

@a banana wrote:

We had 4 humans on the red team, but one of them actually spawned at the start of the shooting range map in amongst the targets on the blue side. Also, the map is much more fun (well, I think it is anyhow) when you blast the central forcewall and then just kill the opposition — a few well placed engineers bombs (or m79 shells) will take it down 😆

I’m well aware of this problem actually and I plan on fixing it. 😉

It might not be well known yet, but there is a win event on the rifle range. If your team takes out all the targets on your side, you will win. So if you have 4 or 5 people blasting at targets, you should be able to take them all out fairly quickly and move on to the next map. 😉

On the same map, one of the blue team died and respawned in the river. Not too much of an issue, but a bit weird.

I’ve struggled with spawn issues from DAY ONE on that map. It seems to me that the engine only trys to place a player within my defined areas but so many times and then just gives up and places them anywhere it feels like it after a few unsuccessful attempts. I’m not really sure what to do about it.

Great fun on there, though, but getting a lot of players disconnecting due to not wanting to wait for ages to play…

Not real sure what to do about this either. I knew this was going to be an issue even very early on in development of the mod. If I make less rounds and faster gameplay, it won’t have the feel I am going for. The only thing I could really see solving the problem is that if new players were allowed to spawn as soon as they enter, but I don’t see that happening. 🙁

Speaking of that, I would also LOVE it if players were allowed to open the tank selection screen while alive and choose a different tank (class). Then, if they would then respawn with their new tank type the next time they died, that would be perfect. This is pretty much how it is done in all class based FPS games, I don’t see why it shouldn’t work like that in Scorched as well.. 😉

Bobirov
    Participant

Just so you guys know, I’m now running a slightly modified server for opscorched to fix/change a few things. The following changes have been made:

– Applied fix for clients hanging while someone is downloading the mod
      – Changed aionly tag for accessories to allow bots to use those items as well (not just targets)
      – Re-implemented feature where usefuel=false = 1 unit of fuel is used (fixed infinite explosives)

As a result, you’ll now notice that the bots are now using their own custom weapon called the Mortar that is basically the same as the turret cannons. If you get close, they’ll use all their standard class weapons. This allows them to competently now at long ranges, so be careful. 😉

You’ll also notice that the engineer starts with 6 explosives now which is enough for 3 uses before he’ll run out and have to resupply. This is much better than them having unlimited uses and being able to use them as a main weapon instead of a specialized demolition item as they were intended.

However, because these small changes exist on the server only at the moment, you’ll notice the gameplay will be slightly different if you try to play a single player game or run a server. The bots won’t use the mortar and explosives will still be infinite. If you play on the server though, the gameplay will be as I intend it to be. So I just thought I would give you guys a heads up and let you know.

Bobirov
    Participant

Added a new offensive bot type that will actively persue players on the other team and gun them down if they get close enough. Its fun to start up a single player game with about 12 players, a few defense bots on each team and the rest offense then watch the chaos ensue. The bots are pretty dumb, but they work. And its nice to have a bit of movement going on even without any other real players around.

I also added some target AIs (mechanics/engineers) around some of the key buildings on 2forts. This makes it so that the bots will attack the buildings. Well, really they’re just attacking the guy standing next to the building, but it works. 🙂

If you haven’t checked it out recently, check it out. I need to post the build I am using with the small AI tweak though so you can get the full effect during single player games. The gameplay is how I intend it to be on the server though if you play online.

Still having horrible lag on 2forts when someone moves though. And the more people that move and the farther they move, it seems to lag even more. If you add in 10 offense bots, the lag can get pretty bad. It doesn’t happen at all on the standard size square maps, so its something to do with either the size or the shape of the 2forts I think. I need to figure it out.

BOY
    Participant

when I had texture size and detail settings all to medium, I was unable to select a soldier. Only random was shown. When texture size was set to large, I was able to see the options again. Is this just an issue with my graphics, or does the game decide which options I can see?

Bobirov
    Participant

@boy wrote:

when I had texture size and detail settings all to medium, I was unable to select a soldier. Only random was shown. When texture size was set to large, I was able to see the options again. Is this just an issue with my graphics, or does the game decide which options I can see?

Its based on the amount of polys in the model I do believe. I bet its right at 1000 polys it becomes a ‘high detail’ model, which you can only see if you set tank detail to high. All the soldier models are a bit over 1000 triangles. There really isn’t much I can do about that short of gutting the models a bit more to get them under 1000. Just set your tank detail to high so you can see all the models.

InductiveOne
    Participant

With some graphics settings lower (or is it just texture detail?) you wont see all the tanks for selection. Not totaly sure what is excluded (poly count?) but yeah, thats the reason.

Bobirov
    Participant

@inductiveone wrote:

With some graphics settings lower (or is it just texture detail?) you wont see all the tanks for selection. Not totaly sure what is excluded (poly count?) but yeah, thats the reason.

It is just the tank detail setting, if you set it lower than high, you won’t see the tanks. I don’t think any of the other settings have any effect on it, I could be wrong though.

Honestly I don’t much see the point in setting tank detail lower than high. If it just restricts which tanks you can use, thats not very useful. It obviously isn’t preventing the high detail tanks from being drawn during play, so its really not helping your performance out or anything. Just set it to high and be done with it. 😛

imported_gcamp
    Participant

@bobirov wrote:

@inductiveone wrote:

It is just the tank detail setting, if you set it lower than high, you won’t see the tanks. I don’t think any of the other settings have any effect on it, I could be wrong though.

Honestly I don’t much see the point in setting tank detail lower than high. If it just restricts which tanks you can use, thats not very useful. It obviously isn’t preventing the high detail tanks from being drawn during play, so its really not helping your performance out or anything. Just set it to high and be done with it. 😛

It does actualy prevent which tanks you can see, other people using high def models will be seen as different lower definition models.

But, perhaps this settings just causes confusion. We could change it so if it is set then it just warns when the model is a high def model, but still shows all of them!

Bobirov
    Participant

@gcamp wrote:

It does actualy prevent which tanks you can see, other people using high def models will be seen as different lower definition models.

But, perhaps this settings just causes confusion. We could change it so if it is set then it just warns when the model is a high def model, but still shows all of them!

Cbx and I were discussing bumping up the restrictions a bit so that < 500 would be low, 500-1000 is medium and 1000+ is high. Dunno what you would think about that though.

And also, I checked using opscorched, even though none of the tanks show up during tank selection, they all show up in game. Maybe its because there are no tanks that fall in the medium or low categories so it just shows them all, I dunno.

cbx550f
    Participant

@gcamp wrote:

No, just make it use the question mark! 😛

Wait, that can’t be shown with it set on “Low”. 😉

Good idea though – maybe just have it display a “chat message” that higher res tank models are in use by other players.

On the “bumping up the levels” note: I think we are behind the times on that…. but, every time I think of something like that, I also think about the fact that it’s great that this still runs on really old PCs. Tough to decide how to draw the line on that.
    It does seem a bit low to me though, as Rob mentioned.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.