This topic contains 35 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 13 years, 6 months ago.

• Author

Anonymous
    Participant

One of my favorite things to do in the original version of Scorched Earth was to create my own weapons, so today I started hacking up the weapons definitions file to see if I could do the same thing. I found a couple of things that work. To use these just add them to your /usr/lib/games/scorched3d/data/accessories.xml file (backing up the original is a good idea)

Napalm MIRV:

Napalm MIRV
    A projectile weapon that on reaching its highest
    point releases several napalm warheads. These
    warheads fan out in a random direction.

hnapalm.bmp
    true
    shoot/large.wav clusterbomb.ase
    white.bmp

Napalm MIRV

explosions/large.wav 0.2 bomblet/bomblet.txt

Rainfall
    A projectile weapon that on reaching its highest
    point releases multiple Riot Bombs. The explosions do not
    harm tanks but can be used to remove earth from under them.

lfrog.bmp
    true
    shoot/medium.wav
    exp01
    explosions/medium.wav clusterbomb.ase
    white.bmp

Rainfall

explosions/crunch.wav
    exp03

“Rainfall” has rather limited use, but the napalm MIRV pretty awesome to watch.

Post other recipies in this thread, and all hail open file formats! 🙂

fever

Anonymous
    Participant

Hornet’s Nest
    Lauches a cloud of low-powered but guided projectiles.
    missile.bmp
    exp00
    shoot/medium.wav
    explosions/medium.wav icbm/icbm.txt
    Hornet’s Nest

exp00
    shoot/medium.wav
    explosions/medium.wav icbm/icbm.txt

Hornet’s Nest

shoot/small.wav
    explosions/small.wav
    exp00 icbm/icbm.txt

Fever

Anonymous
    Participant

If you want to see how good the explosions graphics are, check out this one.:

MOAB
    A ginormous conventional bomb
    nuke.bmp
    exp00
    shoot/large.wav
    explosions/large.wav
    60 digger/digger.txt
    model>

To set the dancefloor on fire, check out The Travolta! But really, don’t lauch it close to home.

The Travolta
    Burn Baby Burn, Disco Inferno! Starts out small bu
    t blossoms into numerous large funky bombs. Light this far away from yourself!<
    /description>
    fbomb.bmp
    shoot/launch.wav

explosions/small.wav
    exp02 icbm/icbm.txt
    l>

The Travolta

explosions/medium.wav
    exp02 bomb/bomb.txt
    tilemodel>

The Travolta

explosions/large.wav
    exp02 bomb/bomb.txt
    tilemodel>

Feedback is welcome. BTW, the of “Rainfall” is well to be bumped up a few.

imported_gcamp
    Participant

It is worth noting that any server running “new weapons” will send the definitions to any connected client.

That means that a server can run with a new or cut down weapon set and any client that connects will use the new weapons.

Anonymous
    Participant

Hi gcamp, great work on this game!

Do you have any documentation on what’s legal for accessories in terms of XML validity and how the game interprets various definitions at runtime? The reason I ask is that I’m going basicallly by trial and error trying different things and seeing what the result is. Running from the command line helps to track down XML errors, but that only goes so far. For example, I’d like to make a napalm Sandhog but the subweapons just explode in a big pile on impact so clearly the definition violates some rule(s).

thanks!

Anonymous
    Participant

hey it would be cool to have more of those weapons. got any more in your turret? post them here please.

the ones you posted had to be adjusted as there are a few discrepencies in the code. but they work REEEEAAAAAALLLLLYYYYYY good. (a bit overkill)

Anonymous
    Participant

Hi, thanks for the feeback! I accidentally left the Unix line endings ” in the text when I posted the last two recipes, which I guess is what you mean about discrepancies. I blame that and the recipes themselves on the vast quatities of beer 🙂 Well here’s one more you might like: The Nuclear Sandhog. In constrast to the normal Sandhog, which has many low-powered missiles, the Nuclear Sandhog has fewer but much higher-powered missiles.

Nuclear Sandhog
    A projectile weapon that explodes creating a
    small number of high-powered burrowing missiles. These missiles target nearby tanks.

shog.bmp
    shoot/flare.wav digger/digger.txt

Nuclear Sandhog

explosions/large.wav
    exp00

Enjoy!
    Fever

Anonymous
    Participant

This one is a defensive measure that may be useful against human opponents. Basically it spews a bunch of smoke tracers to obscure vision and make targetting more difficult. Sho is pretty 😛

Smokebomb
    A projectile weapon that on reaching its highest point releases numerous smoke tracers.
    digger.bmp
    true
    shoot/medium.wav clusterbomb.ase
    white.bmp

Smokebomb

true flare.txt

Fever
    Participant

This one’s fun to watch with LeapFrogs going off in several directions at once.

Bouncing Betty
    On impact releases several LeapFrogs aimed at
    nearby tanks

lfrog.bmp
    exp00
    shoot/medium.wav
    explosions/medium.wav bouncingbetty/bouncingbetty.txt

Bouncing Betty

exp01
    explosions/medium.wav bouncingbetty/bouncingbetty.txt

Bouncing Betty

exp01
    explosions/small.wav bouncingbetty/bouncingbetty.txt

Bouncing Betty

exp01
    explosions/small.wav bouncingbetty/bouncingbetty.txt

Anonymous
    Participant

Wow

Very nice and very useful

Fever
    Participant

Thanks! 😀 I’m really hoping for some feedback from the field on things like weapon power to price ratios, aesthetics, etc. I’ve been using my best judgment (mostly) for these things but it’s hard to tell how a weapon will affect overall gameplay, and if a weapon doesn’t enhance gameplay it’s not worth much. Also, since these weapons are basically amalgamations of other weapon components — I feel like John Locke here — there’s a tendency just to make stuff bigger, but ultimately that gets boring. That’s why in my personal setup the “MOAB” is commented out but the “Hornet’s Nest” I use routinely. And I’ve got a couple of recipes in the final stage of testing that I think are downright complex.

Anonymous
    Participant

well here is some feedback… 🙂

I think that the moab is a bit of an overkill and I dont use it all the time either. but the hornets nest, the travolta (when I’ve got the cash), and the napalm mirv are things that I use constantly. even the rainfall when I’ve got a big mountian in the way.

While it is true that some of these are a bit on the excessive and very expensive, if players are following the normal economy measures they will have to save up the get the bigger bombs. it is only natural that these should be more costly and I have done nothing to change prices in any of the weapons in my list.

other than that I think that all these things are very handy to have around for those times when a person is frustrated and wants to literally go on the war path. 😉

thanks

Fever
    Participant

The biggest frustration I had with the MOAB is that it seemed to show up very often as the death animation for the bots. I found it was being used as much as %40 to %50 of the time which just got ridiculous after a while. I’m sure Gavin could explain the logic in the code that would lead to that happening, but that’s why I chose to comment it out. Have you seen the same behavior?

Anonymous
    Participant

yup, which is the same reason that I do not use it for.

Fever
    Participant

Okay, this one I’m really happy with. As an homage to Star Trek II, here is the “Genesis Project”. I really like this one because it’s so unpredictable — it’s capable of producing everything from a mountain to a smattering of hills to a single lump of dirt, depending on how well you wield it. I’m pretty ambivalent about the appropriate price because the results vary so much, so feel free to tweak it. I like to keep the price low just so I can buy a bunch and watch 😀

Genesis Project

tdirt.bmp
    shoot/launch.wav
    shield/hit2.wav
    exp02 0.5 digger/digger.txt

Genesis Project

shield/hit2.wav
    exp02 flare.txt

Genesis Project

exp03
    explosions/gloop.wav flare.txt

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.