This topic contains 20 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  jdog 10 years, 11 months ago.

• Author

Willis
    Participant

I took this quote from another topic because the topic it was in, wasn’t the related discussion:

@bigbear wrote:

One last thing. Way to go moderators. No better way to show the community how to act than having someone with the moderator tag spamming threads outside of the offtopic section. Keep up the good work!

. . . . . . .

When topics get tense and air-tight.. it’s best to throw a little humor and enjoyment into it.

Besides BigBear.. this type of super-strict aditude is not what a lot of us belive in! And what I’ve especially been fighting for a while.

Irishbandit
    Participant

@willis wrote:

I took this quote from another topic because the topic it was in, wasn’t the related discussion:

@bigbear wrote:

One last thing. Way to go moderators. No better way to show the community how to act than having someone with the moderator tag spamming threads outside of the offtopic section. Keep up the good work!

. . . . . . .

When topics get tense and air-tight.. it’s best to throw a little humor and enjoyment into it.

Besides BigBear.. this type of super-strict aditude is not what a lot of us belive in! And what I’ve especially been fighting for a while.

Yep yep!! ๐Ÿ˜€ ๐Ÿ˜€

imported_gcamp
    Participant

Nicely stired! :p

Deathstryker
    Participant

Welcome to the Scorched 3D forums.

Sit back and enjoy the ride.

BigBear
    Participant

@deathstryker wrote:

But it’s not cool to spam up a topic that really wasn’t asking to be spammed in the first place. There’s really no point in it considering we have a WHOLE topic dedicated to it. Leave the serious posts out of it, I say.

@willis wrote:

How about the next time you make a topic, asking or suggesting something serious… want someone to just make a post “hahaha SPAM!!!” ??? No I doubt it.

@willis wrote:

I don’t care if someone makes a place to spam about a subject, or if a topic was evolved to spam when the normal discussion is done… but if a topic was not intended, was not designed to be spammified.. it shouldn’t be.

I guess it boils down to whose threads gets spammed then? A sence of humour I do believe that I possess. What I lack is understanding of why separate ‘rules’ should apply to different people. It is one thing to throw a joke in there to lighten up the mood, but spam from someone that did not even bother to comment on topic with a single phrase?

Following the reasoning in the quotes above I thought I’d have the right to be somewhat annoyed that threads by me and other less ‘prominent’ members repeatedly get subjected to the same pattern (pls pls pls ask me for examples). But I guess we’re not the same after all. Apparently it makes me super-strict and lacking a sense of humour. My sincere apologies for these terrible shortcomings.

Deathstryker
    Participant

If it makes you feel better, you can spam all my threads and I really wouldn’t care.

To be honest though, I don’t see where you get off on everyone needing to be so serious on a topic about a game. It’s not like someone died or anything.

imported_gcamp
    Participant

That comment doesn’t seem relaxed either DS.

Deathstryker
    Participant

@gcamp wrote:

That comment doesn’t seem relaxed either DS.

Sorry, Gav. But this thread is provoking a serious reply, which, as you know, I don’t normally do. It’s a circumstances type thing. =P

Besides, it’s not really about being serious but, rather, NOT being able to be humorous. Someone could all of the sudden post about cowbells and I’d still think it’s funny regardless of the serious tone.

@deathstryker wrote:

But it’s not cool to spam up a topic that really wasn’t asking to be spammed in the first place. There’s really no point in it considering we have a WHOLE topic dedicated to it. Leave the serious posts out of it, I say.

Oh and btw, this quote was about numerous posts being made by a person that countlessly and repetitively made posts with dots and emoticons and I DO find a difference to that.

BOY
    Participant

Thank you Biggie, for saying that.

@deathstryker wrote:

Sorry, Gav. But this thread is provoking a serious reply, which, as you know, I don’t normally do.

Not sure If I should laugh or not ๐Ÿ˜• Exactly right, normally, when you’re not interested you simply mock the others who are serious. That is, in my view, what you’re doing by spamming peoples threads.

When topics get tense and air-tight.. its best to throw a little humor and enjoyment into it.

I think that is sometimes the hope, but actually what happens is the serious posters simply become more frustrated by the spammers. Some spam (such as the sort that cbx posted) is not so much spam at all, but rather undesguised sarcasm (mockery). I did not mind cbx’s particular point though, because he did make a valid point, even though he admitted to the mocking right up front.

Posts such as Deathstryker’s are neither humorous, or tension releiving. Although, the might be humorous to him, under the circumstances ๐Ÿ™„

cbx550f
    Participant

BB, believe it or not, I know what you mean about people spamming up a topic. Yes, even I have gotten annoyed by that before. I think anyone could get annoyed by that, some by someone straying offtopic a bit, some only when it gets really out of control on a topic they really wish to discuss without distraction. Same thing really, just to a different degree.

I know, I started that digression (readers, see http://www.scorched3d.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3646&start=15&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight= if you have no idea what I’m talking about.), and I didn’t intend to stray from the topic (much), but rather just add a bit of humour. (I actually did have a couple points I wanted to make after I typed what I did, but I was so tired I couldn’t get my thoughts together)

We’re not always the most focused bunch (going for The Understatement of the Year award), but the fun we have, I think, keeps us all friendly with eachother.

Case in point: Someone commonly seen here and myself have recently had a debate or two get pretty heated (I won’t mention any names, but his first initial is “Boy” ๐Ÿ˜‰ ). The way we have been still able to joke with eachother in other threads or in game while getting really irritated at eachother in another thread at the same time is really great. ๐Ÿ˜€ Without the joking and spamming being so common here, I think it possibly could have been different.

Summary: some of us are a but compulsive on our (attempted) humourous interjections. It may go a bit far sometimes, yeah. Now and again I have had to remind myself to “keep it in check”, which it seems to me is exactly what you were trying to do.
    If you want to stop little interjections that are intended to lighten things up some, I hope you fail. If you are trying to prevent topics from being completely hijacked, I hope you succeed, and I’m on your side. ๐Ÿ˜‰

cbx

(I usually open with my spam, then follow it up with serious, but I’m doing it the other way around now….)

@Some Guy wrote:

Nicely stired!

I prefer mine shaken, but I’ll take it! ๐Ÿ˜›

@DS wrote:

Welcome to the Scorched 3D forums.

Sit back and enjoy the ride.

Sit BACK???!?!??

Never. ๐Ÿ˜›

Oops, I was looking to quote something else, but found something I forgot to respond to….

@BB wrote:

Following the reasoning in the quotes above I thought I’d have the right to be somewhat annoyed that threads by me and other less ‘prominent’ members repeatedly get subjected to the same pattern (pls pls pls ask me for examples).

Good point, really. Not to be taken *too* seriously, IMO, but it is indeed a good point. As I said above, even I (admittedly a master digressionist and spammer) have gotten a bit annoyed a couple times about the same thing.

It’s a fun community; we have a wide variety of personalities here, and we butt heads all the time (or is that “we’re buttheads all the time”? ;)), but we can still have fun with it. (Right Boy? :P)

If a bit of spamming of threads is the price to pay for an open and fun community that doesn’t hold grudges, I’ll happily pay it.

Yours truly,

Rambling cbx

Deathstryker
    Participant

@boy wrote:

Thank you Biggie, for saying that.

@deathstryker wrote:

Sorry, Gav. But this thread is provoking a serious reply, which, as you know, I don’t normally do.

Not sure If I should laugh or not ๐Ÿ˜• Exactly right, normally, when you’re not interested you simply mock the others who are serious. That is, in my view, what you’re doing by spamming peoples threads.

When topics get tense and air-tight.. its best to throw a little humor and enjoyment into it.

I think that is sometimes the hope, but actually what happens is the serious posters simply become more frustrated by the spammers. Some spam (such as the sort that cbx posted) is not so much spam at all, but rather undesguised sarcasm (mockery). I did not mind cbx’s particular point though, because he did make a valid point, even though he admitted to the mocking right up front.

Posts such as Deathstryker’s are neither humorous, or tension releiving. Although, the might be humorous to him, under the circumstances ๐Ÿ™„

You know, you make it sound like I do this all the time and I don’t, so why don’t you just dry up BOY? I don’t even know why you’re in this other than to find an opportunity to be an asshole to me again.

Recently, I dunno what’s going on with you or why you’re so against me. I don’t see where I did something so wrong to you. And I’ve tried really hard (until now) not to say anything bad but you’re totally getting on my bad side.

BOY
    Participant

*clinks to cbx*

hmm, well, perhaps some ammends should be made then. Dunno if it is worth anything to you Deathstryker, but I didn’t mean to make it sound as if you were the only one spamming. It is a frequent thing around here, the “pass the spam” thing. In that case, it was simply a perfect example of what Big Bear did NOT want to happen to the discussion he started.

I’m sure it was meant in fun and did not deserve that much venting on my part. erm, sorry.

*tips hat*

Willis
    Participant

BigBear clearly has training courses in selective hearing…

Becuase just like what you quoted from DS, your quotes of mine are used to make a logical fallacy. AKA yes I said it, but what you said isn’t what I said.

@bigbear wrote:

@willis wrote:

How about the next time you make a topic, asking or suggesting something serious… want someone to just make a post “hahaha SPAM!!!” ??? No I doubt it.

@willis wrote:

I don’t care if someone makes a place to spam about a subject, or if a topic was evolved to spam when the normal discussion is done… but if a topic was not intended, was not designed to be spammified.. it shouldn’t be.

In my first quote, I made reference to the people who make “2 word posts”. Not becuase they can sumerize thier point in few words, but because “they can”. Thier posts are typicly stupid idiotic and not helpful, not even funny.

In my second quote, my point was to those who bring up very old topics just to, again, post pure garbage.

IF you took time to read the topic or at least the whole post, not the paragraph.. you’d understand better.

@bigbear wrote:

I guess it boils down to whose threads gets spammed then? A sence of humour I do believe that I possess. What I lack is understanding of why separate ‘rules’ should apply to different people. It is one thing to throw a joke in there to lighten up the mood, but spam from someone that did not even bother to comment on topic with a single phrase?

Following the reasoning in the quotes above I thought I’d have the right to be somewhat annoyed that threads by me and other less ‘prominent’ members repeatedly get subjected to the same pattern (pls pls pls ask me for examples). But I guess we’re not the same after all. Apparently it makes me super-strict and lacking a sense of humour. My sincere apologies for these terrible shortcomings.

What if I was to say yes, thats true? What would you say? Would you be mad, hate me, claim I’m not a competent admin/moderator? Well your not that far off. It’s not whos topic.. its who’s making the post!

When it comes to the big picture everyone is equal. Some sort of IQ behind a post is what people expect. But that being said nobody is equal. A lot of us know each other, know how we think and how we post.

What looks foolish can actually be an interesting point of view. We don’t always have that ability with unfamiliar faces… so first impressions are key.

Deathstryker
    Participant

@boy wrote:

*clinks to cbx*

hmm, well, perhaps some ammends should be made then. Dunno if it is worth anything to you Deathstryker, but I didn’t mean to make it sound as if you were the only one spamming. It is a frequent thing around here, the “pass the spam” thing. In that case, it was simply a perfect example of what Big Bear did NOT want to happen to the discussion he started.

I’m sure it was meant in fun and did not deserve that much venting on my part. erm, sorry.

*tips hat*

I sorry I said you were being an asshole. That was a case of my anger taking over and I know it was a bit too harsh.

cbx550f
    Participant

@willis wrote:

What looks foolish can actually be an interesting point of view. We don’t always have that ability with unfamiliar faces… so first impressions are key.

This is a VERY good point. One which I should keep in mind….
    I, and many others, get used to this being a small community, and make comments that are meaningful to some, but not to many. This should NOT stop, IMO, but it should be kept in mind. Like every situation in life, “You have to keep in mind who the audience is”, and adjust comments to suit the audience at hand.
    In this forum, as in any public one, you do not know the audience as a whole; however, you MAY know the ones to whom you are replying quite well, and can make some bastage remark. lol

First impressions of me from readers here?
    Zowie.
    A few would be quite good, most would be “What a nutbar”, I would think. lol

Willis, your remark I quoted above is good, really good. A simple statement to define not only a post or two of mine (I hope), but also other posts that I read.
    It made me stop to think of how a few times I’ve posted something a bit sarcastic or whatever (read: Spam), but was also trying to make a subtle point. ๐Ÿ˜‰

cbx

Oh, and btw, Boy?
    *clink*

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.