This topic contains 20 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Thrax 9 years, 11 months ago.

  • Author
    Posts
  • #6031

    xox
    Participant

    Today on the beginners server, around the time of this post, CaptDirt and TheGOAT were harassing a player called SOS for not playing “according to rules”. As SOS was not responding to their complaints, they started to call him names. Some of you admins explain very clearly to these guys that there is no such rule as AI First and everyone is allowed to play as they please on this server. Thanks.

    EDIT: one of these guy also displays symptoms of homophobia, please he needs serious help.

    #46614

    Rommel
    Participant

    Hmmm, CaptDirt on the beginners server? Must be a duplicate name. The CaptDirt I’m familiar with is an experienced and very good player. 😕 @xox wrote:

    Today on the beginners server, around the time of this post, CaptDirt and TheGOAT were harassing a player called SOS for not playing “according to rules”. As SOS was not responding to their complaints, they started to call him names. Some of you admins explain very clearly to these guys that there is no such rule as AI First and everyone is allowed to play as they please on this server. Thanks.

    It would be good for all of us to remember that this game has world wide appeal and people that don’t respond, may not understand what you are trying to say. If you don’t get a reply, don’t launch a barrage of insults, just play on. Most everyone, everywhere that has a computer knows enough English to realize that you are cursing them.

    As for top ranked players playing on the beginners servers, I suggest that players above a certain skill level not be allowed acces. Admins of course would need to be exempt and should never try to wipe out the beginners. Guide and teach, that’s the reason for it’s existence, Yes?

    I must go destroy the world now. Krieg ohne Hass

    Sincerely,

    Generalfeldmarschall Erwin J. E. Rommel

    #46615

    PeanutsRevenge
    Participant

    @rommel wrote:

    As for top ranked players playing on the beginners servers, I suggest that players above a certain skill level not be allowed acces. Admins of course would need to be exempt and should never try to wipe out the beginners. Guide and teach, that’s the reason for it’s existence, Yes?

    Thats the point tho Rommel, to guide and teach you must first be there, it is a problem as to learn the game best, you must learn from the best (then take great satisfaction kicking their ‘tank’ into touch).

    I think it would be more appropriate to say that the top rank (just plain experienced) players should try to remember that that server should be a players second stop in the game after the tutorial.
    The beginners server is also a nice place to warm up (for those of us that have rollers in the blood) before going to main and a nice way to start the scorched3d day with teaching some noobs some tricks before going and getting funked all over!

    #46616

    Rommel
    Participant

    Hi PeanutsRevenge:

    I’m afraid that I can’t, in good conscience, agree with you on this one. My opinion is that dropping by to warm up on the noobs with a few rollers and then running off to join the main server in time to get in on the first round is more likely to discourage them.
    @peanutsrevenge wrote:

    @rommel wrote:

    As for top ranked players playing on the beginners servers, I suggest that players above a certain skill level not be allowed acces. Admins of course would need to be exempt and should never try to wipe out the beginners. Guide and teach, that’s the reason for it’s existence, Yes?

    Thats the point tho Rommel, to guide and teach you must first be there, it is a problem as to learn the game best, you must learn from the best (then take great satisfaction kicking their ‘tank’ into touch).

    I think it would be more appropriate to say that the top rank (just plain experienced) players should try to remember that that server should be a players second stop in the game after the tutorial.
    The beginners server is also a nice place to warm up (for those of us that have rollers in the blood) before going to main and a nice way to start the scorched3d day with teaching some noobs some tricks before going and getting funked all over!

    When you’er new, it’s hard to learn much of anything from the top players other than how to die gracefully. This is a good thing to learn, but if you played 3 games in a row and never got off more than 2 shots per round how many more games would you want to play?

    My feeling is that the new bots are good enough to teach the new players all they need to learn on the beginner level. Perhaps a few extra bots and three lives per round would help make the begginers level more challenging and still give them ample shooting experience to develop adequate skills to progress.

    Bots have rights too. Krieg ohne Hass

    Sincerely,

    Generalfeldmarschall Erwin J. E. Rommel

    #46617

    PeanutsRevenge
    Participant

    I only started playing this about 4-5 weeks ago and started round mates and 1v1 online (he wasnt very good then either) then moved to beginners where aif REALLY helped as I learnt from the better players not only how to kill / stay alive but also the eittiquette of the game.

    If AIF isnt being used then yes, I totally agree with you that its not nice, but I like to TRY to pass on what knowledge I currently have.

    That is also what I mean by ‘warm up’ a bit of AIF to get distances and wind strength back into my head!

    I have been thinking (and occassionally saying) it would be good to have an intermediate server aswell tho with some REALLY good bots where players can go ‘warm up’ where it wont be a pick on the noob session…

    #46618

    Deathbal
    Participant

    @rommel wrote:

    Hi PeanutsRevenge:

    I’m afraid that I can’t, in good conscience, agree with you on this one. My opinion is that dropping by to warm up on the noobs with a few rollers and then running off to join the main server in time to get in on the first round is more likely to discourage them.
    @rommel wrote:

    Rommel, although you are well meaning, you miss the point. It is not anyone’s job to encourage new players with a false sense of greatness. All we can do is help them, then kill them. In this game, the people that stay are always the people that not only love the game, but have great patience. Everyone that has stayed long term has had to go through being killed and not doing well while watching others do better. No way around that. It takes to to get the feel of the game. What keeps you alive and what not.

    #46619

    Rommel
    Participant

    Hi Deathbal:

    Thanks, I hope that most everyone feels that I’m well meaning. 😉

    @deathbal wrote:

    @rommel wrote:

    Hi PeanutsRevenge:

    I’m afraid that I can’t, in good conscience, agree with you on this one. My opinion is that dropping by to warm up on the noobs with a few rollers and then running off to join the main server in time to get in on the first round is more likely to discourage them.

    Rommel, although you are well meaning, you miss the point. It is not anyone’s job to encourage new players with a false sense of greatness. All we can do is help them, then kill them. In this game, the people that stay are always the people that not only love the game, but have great patience. Everyone that has stayed long term has had to go through being killed and not doing well while watching others do better. No way around that. It takes to to get the feel of the game. What keeps you alive and what not.

    I missed his point? Ok, I guess I did. In reading his post again I suppose his point was that the admins need to be more active in policing the beginners server so that things like he described don’t get out of hand. Sorry about that.

    My point was that the beginners server should, according to the name, be reserved to the beginners. Otherwise it is a deceptive name and may actually be more discouraging to the beginners than allowing them to play on the main server against the top ranked players. At least they would know the score when they entered. Certainly, I don’t encourage giving them a false sense of grandeur. That’s reserved for the main server, yes? 😛

    If not then perhaps the name should be changed to something like the Fish In A Barrel server. A place where all new players are forced to endure seemingly endless games of being slaughtered repeatedly. They could be kept there almost indefinately by requiring a high kill count to escape and encouraging the top players to play there as much as possible and to target the new players instead of the bots. Yes, that might work nicely indeed. They would learn to die like real sports and only the very dedicated or extremely mashocistic would be allowed to continue on to the next level. 😛

    Bots have rights too. Krieg ohne Hass

    Sincerely,

    Generalfeldmarschall Erwin J. E. Rommel

    #46620

    PeanutsRevenge
    Participant

    Nice Idea!

    Could be like the stone age times, where ya gotta go through trials to become a MAN and get laid.
    Only twist here is, you get to become a child on main and get wooped just as much without ACTUALLY getting picked on!

    #46621

    pastor of muppets
    Participant

    When I started you had to go to beginners until you got 50 kills then you were allowed access in main. Had it been only noobs in the server I would have never stuck around but instead a few ppl or pros if you will came in and played a few games with me. They killed me and taught me how to defend myself they would sometimes only use babies and advise me on how to shoot different weapons. Their time spent in beginners made me want to learn the game as good as they knew it and that is why I stuck around.

    So Thank You to

    NP
    Joe
    CBX
    Mandy
    BD
    NoMoreSteve
    NoWay
    BB

    and any one esle I may have missed for not worrying about stats in Main and instead spending the time to teach me in beginners. As far as the guys harrassing the noobs…bad boys stop it. I was harrassed a time or two myself and stuck around.

    This is why AIF, MCB and Babies only doesn’t work unless everyone agrees. If one person doesn’t agree it frustrates everyone else and this is exactly why Joe and I quit going into beginners because of the forever debate of AI first. If your that frustrated with it go to another server cussing another player usually only feeds the beast.

    Rommel I’m afraid I have to disagree with you on not allowing more experienced players into beginners, that is how most ppl learn this game. The bots can teach some things but not everything. Most experienced players wont hang in beginners long anyway unless to teach. How exciting can it be winning everytime if your skills aren’t challenged?

    #46622

    Laptops Daddy
    Participant

    @deathbal wrote:

    Everyone that has stayed long term has had to go through being killed and not doing well while watching others do better..

    speak for yourself.

    can’t beat a bit of noob hunting. good for what ails you.

    #46623

    Rommel
    Participant

    No problem with me pastor. From what you described there should be no problem with leaving things the way they are. What I was trying to suggest was that the role of mentor might be best reserved to the admins so that the teaching aspect was more of the focus, instead of leaving it wide open and allowing the top players (CaptDirt is a top player) to warm up on the beginners.

    Bots have rights too. Krieg ohne Hass

    Sincerely,

    Generalfeldmarschall Erwin J. E. Rommel

    #46624

    pastor of muppets
    Participant

    I am starting to see things your way the poor bots have been ignored too long and it’s time we recognize that bots have rights too. 😆

    #46625

    HWB
    Participant

    I have seen this many times in beginners. A noob that doesn’t respect aif is a sad thing. Mostly, aif helps them stay alive for a shot or two. But you know ppl get hard headed and think they are being made to play a certain way.

    I always warn them “I am shooting AI first. If you continue to shoot at me I will make you a target before the AI’s.” This does help the cause. But you know how rules games go and things happen. And possibly ppl get mad. Nothing wrong with experience player playing in beginners. I also thought the way Rommel did with having a player with x kills to never be able to play in beginners. But I have seen no reason to keep that mind set. I love answering questions for a noob. And that will never change.

    #46626

    PeanutsRevenge
    Participant

    @hwb wrote:

    I love answering questions for a noob. And that will never change.

    Ah, I heard about you and mirrors but could never figure what people were talking about…

    I have found that explaining to first timers what AIF IS and why its in their benefit to stick with it tends to help, however some persist, however, they do not then need to be your first target as it’ll usually take em at LEAST 13 shots to kill ya, if it doesnt, I doubt it really is there first time!

    This game requires a fair bit of patience, but sometimes in beginners it can get tedious explaining time and time again about everything, if you dont have those patience, I think its best to try another server if noone in main or its full.

    #46627

    HWB
    Participant

    @peanutsrevenge wrote:

    however, they do not then need to be your first target as it’ll usually take em at LEAST 13 shots to kill ya, if it doesnt, I doubt it really is there first time!

    So I am the anti-Christ here but once the said to be nooblet sees I can kill him in two shots then they think about aiming at me during AIF. 😯
    But then again, they a so many ways to screw up 1 persons game and you need to be able react to them all. I a positive reinforcement manor of course.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.