This topic contains 27 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Rommel 10 years, 1 month ago.

• Author

Jock
    Participant

I was playing scorched today and a player enter the games with a name which was very similar to another players name. The name was worminator and we all know the other name as worminflator.

Jinx was the admin on the game at this time and took it apon himself to ask that player to change his name.

I questioned jinx why this player should change his name due to there being no reason for him to do this, as names are not registered and players can have any name they choose.

I was told that players have reputations to these names and that is why this player should change his/her name, even thought the name was not exactly the same.

It’s is of my opinion that this was completly over the top and should never have accured, due to no malace or insult coming from this.

This was just another case of admin ego gone wild in my opinion and needs to be addressed!

We either have registered names or players can use what they like, have all mine it doesn’t bother me.

Deathbal
    Participant

I think we should have registered names. If someone had malicious intent, they could log in with your name and cause some problems.

JiNx
    Participant

funny realy jock after you left casey came into the server, one of his first lines was whos the imposter

any way all in fun and was sorted casey was happy with the other player using the name

things can be done peacefully without haveing to try and kick up a big argument

ref ppls name, remember when you were orignaly jock then you disapeared for ages to reapear as big fish, i always remember your comments being along the lines of, its nice to have a new name i dont get shot as much or picked on.

this is exactly my point original jock had made a reputation as an great player, ppl attributed this to your name.

so even though your name wasnt registered regular ppl who played knew how u were, ie tactics ect, also the way you are talking ie when your jokeing and having a laugh.

this topic was also covered when tora was using tnicks name

as far as im concerned any player that has been playing for any given lenght of time and has built a reputation around that name, then that name is theres and if i see anyone copying i wil ask them to change it,

ref
    This was just another case of admin ego gone wild in my opinion and needs to be addressed!

that is your opinion and your entitled to it, personaly you have a problem with authority and love arguments but thats my opinion.

Jock
    Participant

Well i have just looked through names that casey uses and not at one point was the name worminator used, if it was it was most certainly not his most commonly used name. So this name was not linked to the reputation of any player.

Reputation, man this is game not some world leading summit on how to iradicate all the worlds hunger problems.

This game has no registration of names so if i enter the game and choose to use the name jinx and is not insulting or offending anyone then i will use this name.

As for authority, i will stick up for what i beleive to be right. If that is not respecting authority then so be it, but respect has to be earned and you went far from earning any on this occasion. In my opinion!

Deathbal
    Participant

@jock wrote:

This game has no registration of names so if i enter the game and choose to use the name jinx and is not insulting or offending anyone then i will use this name.

You sir, would be offending Jinx by coming into a game with your .96 kill per round, using the name Jinx. When everyone knows, and expects him to kill 1.1 players per round. Everyone would be saying, Jinx, is that really you? No way, that is not Jinx, can’t be. 🙄

Jock
    Participant

No offence Deathball, but this really isn’t the argument. If i shot funkies and dh’s on all my shots after the 2 round and resigned to save shots then i would have i a higher kill ratio, but i enjoy a challenge and that is why i don’t do it!

A thread is already going on in the forums about that so i will go no further on that!

As you highlighted for me though, you would be able to diferensiate between the real players and the players that choose to use same or similar name so no harm would come of it! that is exactly my point.

BigBear
    Participant

The major point of this topic is if we have registered names or not. To put is simply, we don’t. Hence using name already in use is not I repeat not an offense and cannot be grounds for punitive admin action, since there are no rules stating that you cannot do this. It really is that simple.

To the question should we have registered names my opinion is no. The reason is that it would require new players to register before being able to play, which brings more problems than it solves.

Deathbal
    Participant

What you are saying is just because Scorched doesn’t register names makes it ok to use any name you want? I think it’s just common curtesy to not use someone else’s name. In other words, just because you can get away with it doesn’t make it right.

BTW, I was joking in my last post.

BigBear
    Participant

@deathbal wrote:

What you are saying is just because Scorched doesn’t register names makes it ok to use any name you want? I think it’s just common curtesy to not use someone else’s name. In other words, just because you can get away with it doesn’t make it right.

BTW, I was joking in my last post.

I was merely stating that there is no rule against it, which has nothing to do with my personal opinion on the subject.

If it is my personal opinion you want, I can tell you that I find the whole issue hillarious. It takes a minimal amount of intellect and effort to find out if a player is the one you know or someone else. If anything is to be considered annoying I would rather say it’s all the smurf accounts used by many players as of late just to get an edge in the games. That seems much more rude to me.

The Mighty Muha
    Participant

@deathbal wrote:

And what you’re saying is that people that are potentially new to the game should be harassed for using a completely harmless name?

Deathbal
    Participant

Maybe it can be an option? If that’s possible, no one need be harassed.

Thrax
    Participant

@deathbal wrote:

Maybe it can be an option? If that’s possible, no one need be harassed.

Scorched Servers also have the capacity for one more type of login;

Forum-Login

I’m not saying it’s good for all servers, but if you wanted a server for the
    mains that would keep the name’s valid, that would be one option for the
    non-beginner server. Requiring you to connect using this forums name and password.

it’s also a setting that hasn’t been explored much and i’m not sure how
    it works myself, but it would certianly stop name abuse.

FREAK
    Participant

Ahh but then people would have to register on the forums to play on the main right?

If so then I see no need that option yet it could be an alternative to the one that will be used. (if any)

cbx550f
    Participant

I’d like to mention that it’s happened that people have started playing using the same names others have already used, and that it’s likely to happen in the future. Consider the likelyhood that, sooner or later, someone will use a name like Jinx, or Jock, apache, etc… it seems rather inevitable to me. I recall once (many many moons ago) when a new guy joined with the same name as someone else… I don’t recall who it was, but there was a wee bit of confusion, sure, but no real problem.

As far as names being similar, like “Worminator” vs. “Worminflator” – name registration would NOT stop that. Overall, I don’t see a big issue with using registered names, except for that it would stop the occasional person from playing, as they might just say “screwit”.
    On the other hand, I like being able to change my name sometimes. 😉

It would help prevent some issues – the biggest one being one that hasn’t been mentioned yet: The problem where someone changes their name to something like “cbx sucks” or whatever.

Either way is okay with me – perhaps it might be considered to use the forum login on the “no bots” server and leave the “beginners” open.

mooic
    Participant

Erm, well i think that maybe there had been too much discution on this subject already, I think JiNx acted admirebly to save my reputation (or was it to stop my reputation being stuck onto worminator :P), lol i did join and the first thing i said was “Whos the imposter” but maybe i use too many names 🙂 . OMG i joined beginners the other day and there was a player called “Casey and dana” so with this influx of noobs we are having lately i dont think it will be long befor more names are repeated. I cant really understand why this topic was raised at all, this was a miniscule thing that happened and i dont really think it is worthy of the webspace it is taking up.
    BTW.
    Hi jock, Jinx, Mandy, BD and CBX (you suck btw) 🙂

Casey, AKA The Worminflator AKA SquirmyWormy AKA WonderPants, But you all know that anyways 😉

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.