This topic contains 47 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Viking62 10 years, 5 months ago.

• Author

Crispy Critter
    Participant

My nick goes way back, to a game called Avatar on the University of Illinois PLATO system. Avatar was a way-ahead-of-its-time multiplayer online RPG, dating to (maybe) the late 1970s, that was likely the inspiration for the Wizardry series on the Apple II and other 8-bit systems; if you ever played Wizardry, the display was very similar. Anyway, there were very few character slots available, and you had to try lots of times to get one. Back in ’85, I managed to get a character slot, and had to come up with a nick. Since I was likely to be battling dragons and such, I figured I would end up getting roasted – thus, a Crispy Critter.

I got killed and resurrected a few times, and gave the character away to a friend after I left school.

Avatar (and PLATO) ran on CDC mainframes, and most terminals on campus used flat-panel plasma screens with touch sensors.

DireWolf
    Participant

most people think I got my name from the game Mechwarrior, but actually I got it from a Grateful Dead song.

The DireWolf

In the timbers to fennario, the wolves are running round,
    The winter was so hard and cold, froze ten feet ’neath the ground.
    Don’t murder me, I beg that, you don’t murder me. please, don’t murder me.

I sat down to my supper, ’twas a bottle of red whisky,
    I said my prayers and went to bed, that’s the last they saw of me.

When I awoke, the dire wolf, six hundred pounds of sin,
    Was grinning at my window, all I said was come on in.

The wolf came in, I got my cards, we sat down for a game.
    I cut my deck to the queen of spades, but the cards were all the same.

In the backwash of fennario, the black and bloody mire,
    The dire wolf collects his dues, while the boys sing ’round the fire.
    No, no, no don’t murder me. I beg that, you
    Don’t murder me.
    please, don’t murder me.

BigBear
    Participant

BigBear:
    As my real name Bjorn (actually with two dots above the o but nm that) means bear in swedish, that part of the nic is easily explained. The big was more or less added in an attempt to make the nic sound a little more … well more balanced or perhaps more interesting. No real thought or meaning behind that prefix, but I kind of like the abbrevation bb often used by fellow players so I stuck with it.

TeddyBear:
    The prefix teddy seemed an amusing contrast to the roaring polar bear I use as my avatar.

barnabas
    Participant

Barnabas is the name of my puppy dog. When I first joined Scorched I thought it would be mildly amusing to put “barnabas is your friend” so that people wouldn’t want to kill me. But that didn’t fit so it became “barnabas, your friend”. Thus I became an instant target for people. I guess y’all like to kill your friends. So from then on I bounced between names starting with barnabas such as “barnabas dies quickly” and “barnabas the HORROR” and “neon green barnabean” and so on. Most people call me barny which I accept with some trepidation. I don’t like people calling my dog Barney ’cause I think of the purple dinosaur. My dog is “Bus” to me. But barny is a perfectly acceptable name and I am happy to have it.

barnabas, your friend

HWB
    Participant

I wanted bring the topic forward for the newer players. Hopefully we get some response.

Shotzo
    Participant

My name’s just offa’ Kirby’s Adventure.

It looks like one of these:

NP-TheOutlaw
    Participant

NP – no problem…. due to my laid back attitude, no worries state of mind.

Outlaw – the man with no name……a la “Sergio Leone’s spaghetti western trilogy”

JiNx
    Participant

jinx well my name was given to me by one of the other players i think it might have been no more steve who always sayed i jinxed him so it stuck
    i used to be spyro

SHACK
    Participant

My nick is the nick name Ive always been called from birth. My real name is Meshach (h is silent)from the bible my dad has always called me Shack and in my school days its been Raidio Shack, Auto Shack, Shackattack , Kadi Shack and the one that the girls called me that Ive always liked was LoveShack.

Willis
    Participant

Wow… the memories. Entirely forgot about this topic.

8)

a banana
    Participant

Well, I’ve been using this nick in first-person networked/on-line shooters since Quake 1 days, and then much more during Unreal Tournament days. No particular reason other than it’s funny in a kind of fruity way…

mooic
    Participant

Mooic, this is what my sister called me when we were kids, i was baby moo, then mooic then eventually she could say Mark 🙂

Casey, Its my real life nick name, my surnname is Case, all my friends call me Casey

TheWormInflator, it is primerally a comical name meaning person who inflates worms! but it is really a play-on-words taken from The Terminator! Asta la vista Baby 😉

Hiroyuki
    Participant

Well… I’ve had a whole bunch of nicks through the ages… but it all started with me playing CS with some friends back in late 90s… i guess this was in 98… I couldn’t sette on a nick, so my friends kept yelling “pick a nick and stick with it!”. Due to me fancying the TV-series “MASH” i settled on the nick Hawkeye – still use that occasionally.
    Then, a few years later, during the time i lived in Asia… some girl gave me the nickname “Hiroyuki”, which is a japanese name which she found suitable for me (yes, it’s because of the girl i keep it 😛 )

Lately i’ve been using the nick “Podpolkovnik Boris” to match my avatar photo; a slightly retouched photo of me in a lt.colonels uniform from the soviet artillery (podpolkovnik=lt.colonel, and boris was the first russian name i could think of…)

Deathbal
    Participant

Deathbal is supposed to be Deathball with two L’s. But the old scorched DOS version only allowed 8 characters. So Deathbal it is. 🙄

Val Chaon
    Participant

Mine just came out of the blue. All I wanted was an exotic, unique name. In recent years I’ve just been able to come up with some random names–I don’t know how–and I assign the ones I really like to characters I create. I just like the name Val, and Chaon (pronounced KAY-ahn)…sounds cool too lol. But now that I think about it, though, it really is “Vulcan,” only distorted phonetically.

If I think of more, they will most likely be my aliases. 😆

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 49 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.