This topic contains 12 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  lucasramirez 7 years, 1 month ago.

• Author

Viking62
    Participant

Google has just offered up a new web browser-“Google Chrome (BETA) for Windows”…….
    *Copied from Google for informational purposes only*

A fresh take on the browser

At Google, we spend much of our time working inside a browser. We search, chat, email and collaborate in a browser. And like all of you, in our spare time, we shop, bank, read news and keep in touch with friends – all using a browser. People are spending an increasing amount of time online, and they’re doing things never imagined when the web first appeared about 15 years ago.

Since we spend so much time online, we began seriously thinking about what kind of browser could exist if you started from scratch and built on the best elements out there. We realized that the web had evolved from mainly simple text pages to rich, interactive applications and that we needed to completely rethink the browser. What we really needed was not just a browser, but also a modern platform for web pages and applications, and that’s what we set out to build.

So today we’re releasing the beta version of a new open source browser: Google Chrome.

On the surface, we designed a browser window that is streamlined and simple. To most people, it isn’t the browser that matters. It’s only a tool to run the important stuff – the pages, sites and applications that make up the web. Like the classic Google homepage, Google Chrome is clean and fast. It gets out of your way and gets you where you want to go.

Under the hood, we were able to build the foundation of a browser that runs today’s complex web applications much better . By keeping each tab in an isolated “sandbox”, we were able to prevent one tab from crashing another and provide improved protection from rogue sites. We improved speed and responsiveness across the board. We also built V8, a more powerful JavaScript engine, to power the next generation of web applications that aren’t even possible in today’s browsers.

This is just the beginning – Google Chrome is far from done. We’ve released this beta for Windows to start the broader discussion and hear from you as quickly as possible. We’re hard at work building versions for Mac and Linux too, and we’ll continue to make it even faster and more robust.

We owe a great debt to many open source projects, and we’re committed to continuing on their path. We’ve used components from Apple’s WebKit and Mozilla’s Firefox, among others – and in that spirit, we are making all of our code open source as well. We hope to collaborate with the entire community to help drive the web forward.

The web gets better with more options and innovation. Google Chrome is another option, and we hope it contributes to making the web even better.

But enough from us. The best test of Google Chrome is to try it yourself.

http://www.google.com/chrome/

Also-The word is: Chrome is faster than Internet Explorer (Of course)….. & maybe a bit faster than Firefox…… We shall see (Downloading & testing at the time of this posting)–more web toys…..Yay!!

Exiled One
    Participant

Hey Vik,

I just tried Chrome. It seems much faster that IE but its seems to be the same level as Firefox. It did cheat one the ideas from Opera. As far as I see it seems really good and simple. No many complexities involved. That Incognito Window is something new I have seen so far which is very easy to use and very secretive kind of thing.

So far I can say, “easy, cool, and simple.”

Viking62
    Participant

I agree-
    So far “Chrome” is a very user friendly experience. Just so happened I had an extra 17″Lcd monitor laying around. . . .I am now running Chrome on the 2nd monitor. A bit Offtopic….but, I am using a pretty good “Free” dual monitor utility:
    http://www.mediachance.com/free/multimon.htm (I recommend)

1st impressions of “Google Chrome”-
    Installs ez
    Straightforward operation/instructions
    Has most visited site address boxes (somewhat like the “Opera Browser”)
    Imports IE & Firefox favorites…. A huge plus for this browser….
    Options are simple to use

*Too soon to report anything more at this time*
    Some upgrades should come along fairly quickly…… Looks like Google wants to be the team to beat………. =D>
    BTW– Nice touch on the new Playpretties/Forum Tools -Thx Gavin :D/

Exiled One
    Participant

Also it has a task manager that looks cool to.

Too many crashes for me.

I dont know what to rate it anymore after those crashes.

Viking62
    Participant

I am running the Vista Ult. 64 OS….. No problems with Chrome yet. I also run IE7,Firefox 3.0.1,Seamonkey,& Opera–I run the latest CCleaner(“Free”) after I install anything….getting rid of old pre-fetches, Temp. files…etc. If I don’t remember to allow the new program(s) in my firewall(Comodo Pro “Free”)…..uh… the new install will glitch.

A final fix all solution for me is running-“Iobit (Free)Advanced windows care”…

My old XP machine ran like a fine watch….. This Vista machine is almost up to par now–One thing I can say about any Windows machine–They do not like accumulated junk in the system…..
    99 tweaks for Vista ➡ http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=2238

Viking62
    Participant

“Firefox 4”
    Beta version 4: released August 24th, 2010-
    I have yet to try this Beta Version out….. downloading after posting here.

From Mozilla

Link ➡ http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/4.0b4/releasenotes/

About this release

Firefox 4 Beta is based on the Gecko 2.0 Web platform. Please read below for more detailed information about what’s new in this version of the beta release, as well as the known issues.

This Firefox 4 Beta is considered to be stable and safe to use for daily web browsing, though the features and content may change before the final product release. At this time many Add-ons may not yet have been tested by their authors to ensure that they are compatible with this release. If you wish to help test Add-on compatibility, please install the Add-on Compatibility Reporter – your favorite

Web rumors~
    I have read, Microsoft & Google are getting more into Linux type apps and such.
    I am kinda worried about hidden code + back doors in apps now, promoted by them, solely to benefit these two Companies-What is the general users outlook/fear on this topic?

Viking62
    Participant

I have been also running “Apple” Safari browser for a while now-Seems ok to me & has a few useful apps/add on to go along with it-Testing in Vista Ult. 64

Safari 5 Link ➡ http://www.apple.com/safari/

Viking62
    Participant

OK: I tried FireFox 4 beta….. No good for me=Too many bugs (maybe its just me).
    Anyway, I removed it!! For now.

This one seems like a good browser (I just downloaded it-Has great reviews).
    Touted as a privacy browser & highly configurable…more toys=Cool 😉
    http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/

Irishbandit
    Participant

@viking62 wrote:

OK: I tried FireFox 4 beta….. No good for me=Too many bugs (maybe its just me).
    Anyway, I removed it!! For now.

This one seems like a good browser (I just downloaded it-Has great reviews).
    Touted as a privacy browser & highly configurable…more toys=Cool 😉
    http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/

I have not liked what I have used of FF 4 either. There are some hacks to change some of the behaviour that I didnt like. I will wait for it to get a little more mainstream and get some addons to fix the other “upgrades” that I dont care for.

As for Google and Windows getting into the linux app business its about time. I never understood what the long delay was for. Although google has been in the linux camp for a long time and has helped lots of open source applications run better. Ever looked at some of the work that google summer of code has accomplished?

Viking62
    Participant

@irishbandit wrote:

Ever looked at some of the work that google summer of code has accomplished?

Going to check this out…Thanks for the heads up~ Ok, I Googled “Summer Of Code”.

>Snipped/clipped< Since its inception in 2005, the program has brought together nearly 2500 successful student participants and 2500 mentors from 98 countries worldwide, all for the love of code. Through Google Summer of Code, accepted student applicants are paired with a mentor or mentors from the participating projects, thus gaining exposure to real-world software development scenarios and the opportunity for employment in areas related to their academic pursuits. In turn, the participating projects are able to more easily identify and bring in new developers. Best of all, more source code is created and released for the use and benefit of all.

Opinion~Pretty awesome opportunity for students.

Laptops Daddy
    Participant

HTML5 is on the way. google are already testing video tags etc in youtubes. two big ones to look out for, HTML5 video (probably webm codec?) and client side local storage. should be fun. 3 or 4 more obsolete incompliant browsers to cater for come the day. i still seem to spend half my life wrestling with ie6.

kattyandersonp
    Participant

I don’t like the google chrome but I like the most browser is Mozilla firefox and it is best for me and lots of people. It gives you so much facilites which decreases loss of time in few trash things, gives security and you can download the videos from any sites.

Irishbandit
    Participant

lucasramirez
    Participant

I tried it and it’s a good but I like the most is mozilla firefox….I don’t like the IE and Microsoft is also sending the malware through the updates. My antivirus detected the malware from updates so never update your Operating system or turn off automatic updates. Use the Mozilla firefox for your protection through the lots of security addons.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.