This topic contains 20 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 12 years, 11 months ago.

• Author

imported_gcamp
    Participant

It gives me great pleasure in announcing the release of Scorched3D version 38.

Version 38 adds many new features such as :-
    – Full mod support
    – Weather effects
    – Cavern environment
    – Buildings
    – And many more additions and fixes.

Scorched3D version 38 also comes bundled with a great new 3rd party mod (the apocalypse mod http://handwired.net/apochq/) giving new landscapes, weapons and much more.

At this time I would like to ask everyone who contributed to this project to take a bow, many thanks. Special thanks to Robert Hand for his great apocalypse mod and shockwave for mod and model testing.

Download here:
    http://www.scorched3d.co.uk/downloads.php

Full list of version 38 updates here:
    https://sourceforge.net/project/shownotes.php?release_id=266713

Full list of contributors here:
    http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/scorched3d/scorched/AUTHORS?rev=1.9&view=markup

vlad
    Participant

thats all i say.

Anonymous
    Participant

On some linux machines people may have trouble compiling the source for 38. I say some because it works fine on my home machne (gcc 3.2.3) but fails on another machine I have (gcc 3.2.2-5). The fix is to change line 136 of src/dialogs/ConnectDialog.cpp from:

if (SDLNet_ResolveHost(&address, hostPart.c_str(), 0) != 0)

to:

if (SDLNet_ResolveHost(&address, (char *)hostPart.c_str(), 0) != 0)

This is because the return type of the string class c_str() member function is (const char *). All you need to do is cast it to (char *) and the compiler should be happy.

You should get the same _TYPE_ (no pun intended) of error on line 65 and 127 of src/client/UniqueIdStore.cpp. Again just cast the second parameter to (char *) to fix the problem.

IF you like, you may apply the following patch (patch -p1 < ../compile_38.patch ) to fix the problem. NOTE: the patch must be located outside the scorched directory and you must run the command from within the scorched directory. (FILE: compile_38.patch)
    BEGIN

BEGIN
    diff -urN scorched/src/client/UniqueIdStore.cpp scorched-38-fixed/src/client/UniqueIdStore.cpp
    — scorched/src/client/UniqueIdStore.cpp 2004-12-04 07:14:34.000000000 -0500
    +++ scorched-38-fixed/src/client/UniqueIdStore.cpp 2004-12-05 17:09:11.000000000 -0500
    @@ -62,7 +62,7 @@
    if (!node->getNamedChild(“published”, entry.published)) return false;

IPaddress ipAddress;
    – if (SDLNet_ResolveHost(&ipAddress, entry.published.c_str(), 0) == 0)
    + if (SDLNet_ResolveHost(&ipAddress, (char *)entry.published.c_str(), 0) == 0)
    {
    entry.ip = SDLNet_Read32(&ipAddress.host);
    }
    @@ -124,7 +124,7 @@

// Check the published ip matches the actual server ip
    IPaddress address;
    – if (SDLNet_ResolveHost(&address, published, 0) != 0)
    + if (SDLNet_ResolveHost(&address, (char *)published, 0) != 0)
    {
    Logger::log(0, “Failed to resolve published server host “%s””, published);
    return false;
    diff -urN scorched/src/dialogs/ConnectDialog.cpp scorched-38-fixed/src/dialogs/ConnectDialog.cpp
    — scorched/src/dialogs/ConnectDialog.cpp 2004-12-01 19:52:29.000000000 -0500
    +++ scorched-38-fixed/src/dialogs/ConnectDialog.cpp 2004-12-05 17:09:57.000000000 -0500
    @@ -133,7 +133,7 @@
    return false;
    }
    IPaddress address;
    – if (SDLNet_ResolveHost(&address, hostPart.c_str(), 0) != 0)
    + if (SDLNet_ResolveHost(&address, (char *)hostPart.c_str(), 0) != 0)
    {
    LogDialog::instance()->logMessage(“”,
    formatString(“Failed to resolve server name”), 0);
    END

END

Don’t include the BEGIN and END line. I hope this helps people. Keep up the good work.

Cheers,
    Chris Mooney

And Check out the Project DoD server:
    scorched3d.dod.net

nexus6
    Participant

Now that is a great start to the week – wake up, get to work, check http://www.linuxgames.com, hmmm new version of Scorched3d, cool cool, check screenshots, w00t! My maps are in the official release! w00t! 🙂

Thanks to Bob for getting these packaged up so nicely, and thanks to Gavin for continuing to develop this great game. Now I get to see whether I can get this to compile on my shiny new Ubuntu/Debian Linux AMD64 box 😉

If I manage to build a debian package of this one, do you want me to make it available for download? It may take a while – I’m new to Debian but I’ve built plenty of RPMs in the past so I’m hopeful I’ll be able to get this working.

Cheers,
    Toby Haynes

Anonymous
    Participant

Why is the mac version behind???

Anonymous
    Participant

Everything is nice except buildings… ;(
    Those looks ugly… and dosent fit to the landscape… I would be better without them…

Anonymous
    Participant

Until debian updates their Scorched3D-Packages, I provide them for Scorched3D 38 at http://debian.progn.org/… I based these on the packages that are already available for Version 37.2.

Also, you can find packages for Archlinux at http://www.sun-interference.net/archlinux

Anonymous
    Participant

Yes, WHY isn’t the OS X version 38 here? You port to
    debian before OS X??? This is PURE 😈

imported_gcamp
    Participant

@anonymous wrote:

Yes, WHY isn’t the OS X version 38 here? You port to
    debian before OS X??? This is PURE 😈

I don’t have access to an OS X box, I will port when a sourceforge os X machine becomes available.

Anonymous
    Participant

Hi, I have a laptop PB. Maybe I can port it, I have some programming skills. If it isn’t to difficult (only a recompile etc.) I can do it if you tell me the approach (I know C, Java and C++ very good.) Sourceforge should have a OS X box 🙂

Anonymous
    Participant

???? Help I can’t play on the servers – DARN! Os x please!

Anonymous
    Participant

Why do you have to download the entire file again instead of just a few changed things. Is the entire thing different? I’m saying this because modem people would want to know

Anonymous
    Participant

Gavin, good job on this one, I’ve been playing since the early versions but took a break from versions 20-38 lol, probably forgot about it after reformatting some time, lol. But now I feel the nostalgia of playing a great old game in full 3d with nice gfx! Thanks for all the work, your work IS NOT wasted 😆

wallyfoo
    Participant

Mr. Camp,

You do great work. Just got the application to compile on my OS X box; it runs great; I love the improvements. Please keep updating this great little game.

Anonymous
    Participant

hm.. i have problems compiling 38 on gcc 3.3.4:

make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/scorched/src/scorched'
    source='HtmlHelpDialog.cpp' object='HtmlHelpDialog.o' libtool=no
    depfile='.deps/HtmlHelpDialog.Po' tmpdepfile='.deps/HtmlHelpDialog.TPo'
    depmode=gcc3 /bin/sh ../../depcomp
    g++ -DPACKAGE_NAME="" -DPACKAGE_TARNAME="" -DPACKAGE_VERSION="" -DPACKAGE_
    STRING="" -DPACKAGE_BUGREPORT="" -DPACKAGE="scorched3d" -DVERSION="38"
    -I. -I. -I../porting -I.. -I/usr/X11R6/include -I/usr/X11R6 -I/usr/lib/wx/incl
    ude/gtk-2.5 -DGTK_NO_CHECK_CASTS -D__WXGTK__ -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_LARGE_FIL
    ES -g -O2 -I/usr/include/SDL -D_REENTRANT -I/usr/include/freetype2 -DS3D_DOCDI
    R="/usr/local/scorched/share" -DS3D_DATADIR="/usr/local/scorched/share" -DS3
    D_BINDIR="/usr/local/scorched/bin" -DdDOUBLE -c -o HtmlHelpDialog.o `test -f '
    HtmlHelpDialog.cpp' || echo './'`HtmlHelpDialog.cpp
    HtmlHelpDialog.cpp:58: error: invalid static_cast from type `void
    (HelpFrame::*)()' to type `void (wxEvtHandler::*)(wxCommandEvent&)'
    HtmlHelpDialog.cpp:59: error: invalid static_cast from type `void
    HtmlHelpDialog.cpp:60: error: invalid static_cast from type `void
    HtmlHelpDialog.cpp:61: error: invalid static_cast from type `void
    make[2]: *** [HtmlHelpDialog.o] Error 1
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/scorched/src/scorched'
    make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/scorched/src'
    make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

The forum ‘news’ is closed to new topics and replies.