This topic contains 12 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  imported_gcamp 13 years, 7 months ago.

• Author

imported_gcamp
    Participant

We are pleased to announce the next version of Scorched 3D (build 36.2).
    This is a minor update version and includes fixes for various small issues as well as some new improvements.

Download now from:-
    http://www.scorched3d.co.uk/downloads.php

New main features include :-
    o Fixed fonts sometimes black-out or plan dialog goes all white (I think) 😀
    o Fixed most display mode problems on Unix
    o Fixed 16bit display mode performance problems on win32/unix
    o Fixed clicking sound sometimes continues after move has been made
    o Fixed shot camera does not get left behind
    o Added Player stats generation and master stats site
    For the full list of features see here (lots more) :-
    http://sourceforge.net/project/shownotes.php?release_id=209924

As usual at this time I would like to thank everyone involved in this release. Thank you!

dolny
    Participant

Neat. I’ll test it soon. Please announce it at: http://ss.lxnt.info/forum/viewforum.php?f=10 🙂

Anonymous
    Participant

Wrong download URL: not downloads.html, but downloads.php!

http://www.scorched3d.co.uk/downloads.php
    ____

I like to use Scorched3D to demonstrate and compare graphic and computing power between several systems (e.g., a DURON with 800 MHz and GeForce 2 GTS is not yet able to show it smoothly with all full effect levels). For this purpose I prepare a “bots vs. bots only” battle. Often the bots are unable to kill each other in time (during the round limit) so the round gets skipped.

Here I think it is especially obvious that there is a flaw in the game logic: The last impact (which ends the round) seems to explode once again in the next, freshly built terrain, and the last message (“killed” or “skipped round”) appears once again at the beginning of the next round. I would propose to finish all the impacts and messages instead, before calculating the next terrain.

Anonymous
    Participant

^ Sorry, I’m blind 8) – report flaws of Version 36.1 in a 36.2 thread: Just found that you already fixed “Graphics for explosions do not cross into next round”. Should have read the “News” in the SourceForge project before complaining. 😳

imported_gcamp
    Participant

@ligh wrote:

^ Sorry, I’m blind 8) – report flaws of Version 36.1 in a 36.2 thread: Just found that you already fixed “Graphics for explosions do not cross into next round”. Should have read the “News” in the SourceForge project before complaining. 😳

No worries :), the page name changed on Saturday I am still tracking down broken links.

LigH
    Participant

(After a few guest posts, I’ll better register…)

Unfortunately, my PS/2 mouse plug is a little broken on my mainboard, so sometimes mouse control disappears. Then it is quite hard for me to quit the game: I can press ESC to call the “Quit game” dialog, but there I have to use the mouse to confirm. Would it be possible to allow one usual key (ENTER or SPACE) to activate a default button in such dialogs?

imported_gcamp
    Participant

Yeah ok. You can also bring down the console (` key) and type quit to exit.

Anonymous
    Participant

I’m not sure whether this is the right place to report problems, and maybe this is already known, but I didn’t find it on the site. I just installed the current download (36.2) on my W2K notebook. The game loads and I pick an easy game and select the random tank. It goes through initialization screens, then displays the island and lets me start aiming. Within a few seconds, my LCD goes blank (there’s actually a faint shades-of-black display; not sure whether that’s LCD persistence or the display running with no backlight), whatever sound was happening keeps playing (click-click-click-click), and Ctrl-Alt-Del Ctrl-Alt-Del doesn’t reboot me.

I’m a Unix admin, so I don’t know what all system information is pertinent, but here’s some of it:

Dell Latitude
      Not sure of the CPU (company machine that I got secondhand; My Computer / Properties says “x86 family 6 Model 8 Stepping 6”), but PIIish
      128M RAM
      RAGE MOBILITY 128 AGP 2X
      ESS Maestro PCI Audio
      W2K 5.00.2195 SP4
      Before installing DirectX 9b, it said I needed DirectX 6 or better and crashed as soon as I saw the island; after upgrading, it played a little bit before crashing.
      What else?

imported_gcamp
    Participant

The game is crashing. It looks like a driver problem. I would look for a new display driver, if available.

For a mobility I would also try choosing all the low detail settings in the scorched3d display settings dialog.

Anonymous
    Participant

Hey guys I’m new to your forums and should probibly register… but I must say, I am a big player at a game center in idaho and found you by searching for scroched earth to lan party on… all the guys here got a kick out of your game and played it for several hours on end. Keep up the good work and i hope you guys keep making more updates. I would like to see the heat seakers and a few other of the interesting gadgets of old scorched earth.

Anonymous
    Participant

@guest wrote:

I’m not sure whether this is the right place to report problems, and maybe this is already known, but I didn’t find it on the site. I just installed the current download (36.2) on my W2K notebook. The game loads and I pick an easy game and select the random tank. It goes through initialization screens, then displays the island and lets me start aiming. Within a few seconds, my LCD goes blank (there’s actually a faint shades-of-black display; not sure whether that’s LCD persistence or the display running with no backlight), whatever sound was happening keeps playing (click-click-click-click), and Ctrl-Alt-Del Ctrl-Alt-Del doesn’t reboot me.

I’m a Unix admin, so I don’t know what all system information is pertinent, but here’s some of it:

Dell Latitude
      Not sure of the CPU (company machine that I got secondhand; My Computer / Properties says “x86 family 6 Model 8 Stepping 6”), but PIIish
      128M RAM
      RAGE MOBILITY 128 AGP 2X
      ESS Maestro PCI Audio
      W2K 5.00.2195 SP4
      Before installing DirectX 9b, it said I needed DirectX 6 or better and crashed as soon as I saw the island; after upgrading, it played a little bit before crashing.
      What else?

Just so you know, it’s a PIII Coppermine. Family 6 includes the Pentium Pro, Pentium II, Pentium III, and Pentium M, and Model 8 is the Coppermine core, used in most Pentium III chips.

imported_gcamp
    Participant

It should not be a problem with the chipset.

Have you tried all of the low detail settings?
    Also try turning off the sound.

Gavin.

ThE OnE
    Participant

Hey,

I’m a great fan of the original scorched earth, and I appreciate your work in coming up with a 3D version. I played the original one like 6 years back, and have had it on all my computers since… 😉
    Just wanted to say thank you!!!

PS: You might see me rise up in the stats section soon…

imported_gcamp
    Participant

@ThE OnE wrote:

Hey,

I’m a great fan of the original scorched earth, and I appreciate your work in coming up with a 3D version. I played the original one like 6 years back, and have had it on all my computers since… 😉
    Just wanted to say thank you!!!

PS: You might see me rise up in the stats section soon…

A belated welcome neo 🙂
    Have fun.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The forum ‘news’ is closed to new topics and replies.