This topic contains 40 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 13 years, 9 months ago.

• Author

Anonymous
    Participant

I am running this kick ass game on a Windows XP computer (not my fault), and in the first hour of playing it, the game crashed five or six times, always right after I fire a weapon, hitting a tank, then right as the tank dies, the game crashes. I absolutely love this upgrade from the last version, but i can’t play more than 3 or four rounds. Could you make the previous version available, just until you come up with a build that will run on an XP machine. i noticed others in the forum have had the same problem. i installed the upgrade over the older one, so i don’t have a working scorch 3d game to play and i need my fix. thanks.

Anonymous
    Participant
    I am running this kick ass game on a Windows XP computer (not my fault), and in the first hour of playing it, the game crashed five or six times, always right after I fire a weapon, hitting a tank, then right as the tank dies, the game crashes. I absolutely love this upgrade from the last version, but i can’t play more than 3 or four rounds. Could you make the previous version available, just until you come up with a build that will run on an XP machine. i noticed others in the forum have had the same problem. i installed the upgrade over the older one, so i don’t have a working scorch 3d game to play and i need my fix. thanks.

What computer/settings are you using?

The old version is available from sourceforge.
    http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/scorched3d

Anonymous
    Participant

@Götz wrote:

Hi,

I’ve compiled this program on Mandrake Linux 9.2beta1. There was only one small glitch, as the preprocesor of gcc 3.3 has changed. I can submit a patch if desired. The final binary started just fine, but after the player selection (which was already in working 3D) and a few progress bars the display was
    distorted, all textures were flickering and none of the texts in the menues were readable. I could move around and select stuff in the menu, but the game wasn’t playable. My gfx board is a Radeon 9100, using the normal r200 driver from XFree86 4.3.0. Can anybody suggest a solution for this?

I had exactly those same problems, but with somewhat
    different setup:
    scorch3d running through winex3 (problems compiling native version)
    distro: mdk9.1
    card: radeon 7500, system: Duron, 512mb ram
    XFree86 4.3, patch level 5mdk. Driver: ati, OpenGL version string: 1.2 Mesa 4.0.4

It seems the problem could be connected with radeon support somehow? Any suggestions?

I could do some investigations once I get my hands on working Makefiles & ./configure script.

Anonymous
    Participant

just some hints :

1) did you guys try reducing texture size in the options dialog or any of the other options ?

2) just some compiling hints

Linux

Compiling requirements :

* GNU tools (http://www.gnu.org/directory/GNU/)
    aclocal (GNU automake) 1.5 [aclocal –version]
    automake (GNU automake) 1.5 [automake –version]
    autoconf (GNU Autoconf) 2.57 [autoconf –version]
    GNU Make 3.80 [make –version]
    gcc version 2.95.3 [g++ –version]

* Simple Directmedia Layer (http://www.libsdl.org/)
    SDL 1.2.4
    SDL_mixer 1.2.4 [sdl-config –version]
    SDL_net 1.2.5

* WX-windows (http://www.wxwindows.org)
    wx-windows [wx-config –version]

* OpenGL (http://www.opengl.org) [glxinfo | grep -i version]
    server glx version string: 1.3
    client glx version string: 1.3
    OpenGL version string: 1.4.0
    glu version: 1.3

Make sure at least all these are properly installed.
    Note that SDL and wx-win provide their own m4 files. So
    a proper installed sdl and wxwin should provide :
    sdl.m4 and wxwin.m4 in the ac-dir :/usr/share/aclocal
    [check with : aclocal –print-ac-dir]

Run the following commands to compile scorched :-

1) chmod +x autogen.sh
    2) ./autogen.sh
    3) make
    4) make install (may need to be done as root)

Scorched3D will be installed in /usr/local/games/scorched3d.

Anonymous
    Participant

@redzebra wrote:

just some hints :

1) did you guys try reducing texture size in the options dialog or any of the other options ?

2) just some compiling hints

1)
    Yes, I also tried several combinations of display options. The effect varied slightly. The
    “textures” were flashing back and forth and looking perhaps like random memory content.
    It could almost be playable with some settings if the menu texts were visible.

2)
    Ok. Thanks for the hints. Good points.

The problem could really be with opengl & glx versions… Maybe I should upgrade those first.
    Although it says on the scorch3d Technology page that only opengl 1.2 level is used.

I didn’t even know that mesa had reached 1.3 already, but I guess that other guy had more
    recent versions with his mdk9.2 beta. I wonder if this texture problem is due to some mdk
    patch?

Could someone with radeon 9100/7500 and good ol redhat etc. report?

I wish scorch3d developers included their own generated Makefiles & configure script.

Those should work on almost any system without the need for autoconf, automake, aclocal,
    perl, m4 and whatever dependencies they have. Thats the whole point of generated bazillion
    line configure scripts and Makefiles.
    Could someone with working Makefiles & configure put them available and post the link?

(mdk9.1 offers rpms for automake-1.4 and 1.6, but neither works 🙁 and I bet installing those tools from source is a pain )

Anonymous
    Participant

@P wrote:

I wish scorch3d developers included their own generated Makefiles & configure script.

Those should work on almost any system without the need for autoconf, automake, aclocal,
    perl, m4 and whatever dependencies they have. Thats the whole point of generated bazillion
    line configure scripts and Makefiles.
    Could someone with working Makefiles & configure put them available and post the link?

Agh. Of course I mean configure script and Makefile.in <---- files

Anonymous
    Participant

I dropped out of net game with following message:
    Scorched3D : Failed to find stimulus 4 in state 9

There were only 2 players. Me and a stupid bot. Both fired missiles or baby missiles
    at each other from short range. The game exited just before first explosion.
    This was second round.

Just a tiny bug reportlet 🙂

If it’s even a bug.

Anonymous
    Participant

Firstofall i’d like to thank you for this game, it’s most playable game i have ever played, even playng on “hot seat”

What i’ve notced during play on current (35) relase:
    – Sometime the “AutoDefence” of another user pops up on my screen at the begining of turn
    – Sometimes not all textures are loaded
    – Game REALLY slow down after sb’s death or after funky.. explosion (p800 – GF2)
    – even when shot-angle pointer is above ground, missle explode just after shot

Suggestions:
    – Teamplay 🙂 (with penalties for killing teammates)

With Compliments, Karol

Anonymous
    Participant

Nice!

I used to play scorched earth back when I had a 486… one day I decided I wanted to find it for old time sake and my serch led me here.

Nice work!

Anonymous
    Participant

windows xp, ati all in wonder 9800 pro with most recent catalyst drivers, athlon XP3200+

I can see the exe working in my task manager but cpu is 99%
    After a couple minutes I just have to kill it.

can’t wait to play 🙁

Anonymous
    Participant

wy wy ehhhhhh nie rozumiecie mnie jestem zzzz nie będę wam mówił 😀

Anonymous
    Participant

Nieladnie tak po polskawemu pisac. English please 😉

Viewing 12 posts - 31 through 42 (of 42 total)

The forum ‘news’ is closed to new topics and replies.