This topic contains 28 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Crispy Critter 10 years, 7 months ago.

• Author

DireWolf
    Participant

Does anyone know if this new server is going to cost Gavin out of pocket cash to get it going? I would guess yes.

if so, considering this game is free and we ALL missed the forums while they were down, I think it would be appropriate to start a fund drive to help with the cost of the new server as a way of saying thanx for this game and all the hard work put into this, I will start by donating 10 dollars on Friday, my bank acct is dry untill then.

if you do donate, even if it is a dollar, leave a post here to say thanx for the game and maybe help encourage others to donate, this game is worth it!
    MOB RULES!

https://www.paypal.com/xclick/business=donations%40scorched3d.co.uk&item_name=Scorched3D&no_note=1&tax=0&currency_code=GBP

imported_gcamp
    Participant

I guess I should really be more open with the fund details.

Currently we are running :-
    – web-host (scorched3d.co.uk) – £200 ($400) for 2 years
    – web-host (sourceforge) – free
    – download-server (sourceforge) – free
    – game-server – PC cost + uplink cost £???

The dedicated server will cost about £500 ($1000) for 1 year, but we won’t need the web-host anymore. We may even be able to move the game server onto this as well.

Up till this point I have not spent any of the donations money, we currently have about £800 pounds.

InductiveOne
    Participant

Is there something specific your saving up donation money for? Sometimes its easier to do a ‘pledge drive’ type thing if you have a goal to set.

BOY
    Participant

I think the goal is clear. The dedicated server. So, our goal is to raise next years costs… We now have $1600, we need 400 more by the time one year rolls around.

An extra 10% to cover the game server costs?

Deathstryker
    Participant

@inductiveone wrote:

Is there something specific your saving up donation money for? Sometimes its easier to do a ‘pledge drive’ type thing if you have a goal to set.

Possibly for when the going gets tough on expenses?

As soon as I get financially stable, I intend on donating money myself. But as it is right now, I haven’t been able to buy myself anything (essentials mind you) in a long time.

cbx550f
    Participant

@gcamp wrote:

Up till this point I have not spent any of the donations money, we currently have about £800 pounds.

This is one of the greatest statements I have ever heard.

More than a couple people have added a bit to the game, but you’ve not only been the dedicated driving force, but also the workhorse. If you wanted to blow the £800 on beer and hookers – that would be fine with me. 😀

You not only do the work, but spend the bucks that have provided the servers etc, so don’t feel guilty about anything with that money – if you need a new PC, whatever, go for it, I say. However, paying for the upgraded service seems like a good use for it. 😉
    Also seems like a good reason for us to set an annual goal for donations and rally for it a bit – I’d say enough to cover costs, and maybe enough for Gav to get a new PC might be a good goal.

And DS, I understand, all too perfectly

BOY
    Participant

Gavin’s wife could be reading this… I don’t think she would approve of the hookers part, but so long as Gavin shares the beer with her, maybe she would go for that and not demand some nice jewelry out of him 😀

Willis
    Participant

@boy wrote:

I think the goal is clear. The dedicated server. So, our goal is to raise next years costs… We now have $1600, we need 400 more by the time one year rolls around.

An extra 10% to cover the game server costs?

If this is the goal. Then it is to be more then that. Scorched has been around for how many years and has only built up £800… which yes is $1600. It’s a nice starting value to get the ball rolling, but there needs to be a stronger donation rate if we want it to continue over many years.

So in a way this number really is void in determining how much is needed for the following year. Assuming we even want to use this money (maybe a different donation account dedicated to the server itself?)

If gavin continues his personal donations to keep things running, that comes down to be $200 a year (he said $400 for 2 years). Making the resulting expenses of a dedicated server $800 a year. This is $70 (£35) a month.

NP-TheOutlaw
    Participant

@gcamp wrote:

I guess I should really be more open with the fund details.

Currently we are running :-
    – web-host (scorched3d.co.uk) – £200 ($400) for 2 years
    – web-host (sourceforge) – free
    – download-server (sourceforge) – free
    – game-server – PC cost + uplink cost £???

The dedicated server will cost about £500 ($1000) for 1 year

$1000 per year is way too much money to have a dedicated server.

if the current situation of $200 / year means the forums go down every now and then…..that seems like an okay price to pay for the current service.

the way I see it…..when the forums are down….go and play more..try out different MODS….explore the space….. now if the situation was reversed and the game server was down and the forums were up, I think more folks would be upset.

regardless though, everyone should do their part in contributing a bit o-CA$H to keep this community alive & to show their appreciation for all the hard work that goes into it.

cheers

imported_gcamp
    Participant

@np-theoutlaw wrote:

if the current situation of $200 / year means the forums go down every now and then…..that seems like an okay price to pay for the current service.

I think you have the situation wrong 😳

They will shut down the web site completely unless we take a dedicated server. They will not suffer the amount of traffic (mainly PHP/SQL CPU) this site is generating going forward.

Willis
    Participant

I’m guessing you went with this web-hosting company because their local to you? Are there other businesses around or maybe even some distance that would give you a better deal?

DireWolf
    Participant

@np-theoutlaw wrote:

the way I see it…..when the forums are down….go and play more..try out different MODS….explore the space….. now if the situation was reversed and the game server was down and the forums were up, I think more folks would be upset.

regardless though, everyone should do their part in contributing a bit o-CA$H to keep this community alive & to show their appreciation for all the hard work that goes into it.

cheers

This is true but……..
    The forums are a very important part of the developement of this game, It also is a binding part of this community, where we can come together and share ideas and little bits of ourselves.

I honestly dont care if he Gavin buys a fur lined toilet with the money 😯 I guess I am feeling a bit guilty because I have not donated yet, but I have played the hell out of this game, 😳

FREAK
    Participant

I agree with direwolf.

Many of the game’s features probably would not have been available to us now if the forums weren’t up.
    We need the forums to keep the scorched 3d community alive as well.
    I mean look at the complaints of all the people when it went down.
    The forums seem to be part of our everyday living.

imported_gcamp
    Participant

@willis wrote:

I’m guessing you went with this web-hosting company because their local to you? Are there other businesses around or maybe even some distance that would give you a better deal?

They are local, as in we are both in the UK, but we are in different countries. TBH I’ve only looked within the UK as I have a co.uk web domain.

BOY
    Participant

well, Willis, the $400/yr goes away, leaving $1000/yr. THat is roughly $80/month, not 70 going forward to keep scorched3d.co.uk “in the black”. However, we have one and 1/2 years already. I see no problem with starting with raising the money for a second year. After paying for a year up front, we need to raise another 400 to 500 to prepare for year 2. How fast we can raise the money is yet to be seen. We have time to work on it.

For starters, lets think beer and cigs money… 😛

EDIT:
    Willis, I see what you mean now I guess, however the disconnect was I don’t see a reason to separate the money gavin has been getting, and the money donated in the future, its all the same donations… we (all of us) have $1000 minimum that we’ll be trying to raise for support.

$3/day = $1,095/yr. sound like a good goal?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.