This topic contains 18 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  BOY 3 years, 7 months ago.

• Author

BOY
    Participant

alright so we got all his parts in, for one thing, he got the wrong power supply, it is only rated to 430 W. The base power requirements of the system are well under 400 but I wanted a 600 W.

The other thing is that when inspecting all the parts, I accidentally touched the area on the bottom of the heat sink and made a small impression in the thermal compound. It’s about the size of an eraser head, and extreemly shallow but it looks like crap :P. I didn’t see any warning or nothin or hear any vids talk bout avoiding this, so I touched it, OKAY! YA. I DID. So now what, i want to put a tiny dab of compound there to cover it, but will this just imbalance the whole mess?

Arrg.

When I put the CPU and heat sink on there what other stupid things should I not do??? (besides drop it or forget to ground myself)

PeanutsRevenge
    Participant

430w would be good for that system, 600W would be too much.

These days, when idle, components power down significantly (drawing <10%) and with most PSUs below the high end the efficiency falls off a cliff when the power draw is 60W at idle.
    The only time to get an O.T.T PSU is if the fan on it will idle at loads below 10-30% allowing for an inaudible system which you’ve certainly not got for your budget or if you’re planning to add an additional graphics card in the very near future.

For the TIM (Thermal Interface Material) it’s only there to fill the teeny tiny imperfections in the heatsink and heatspreader, the general rule here is the thinner the better as metal/metal conducts heat more efficiently than metal/TIM/metal so you probably didn’t need to worry about it too much.

There are a lot of silly to be careful of, far too many to list as you’d obviously end up doing something that didn’t end up getting listed.

Just be sure to ground yourself prior to handling any components is the critical thing (I tend to touch the screws on a light switch and do so whenever you’ve walked around for a bit with socks on carpet especially or when wearing static generating clothing.
    Once the PSU is in the case and you have it plugged in, you can ground yourself on the case.

BOY
    Participant

Ah. Cool. So with grounding, the advice that I had been working with was that it is easier to install the processor on the mono before putting it into the case. Does it really matter as long as I do whatever I need to do to ground myself? Does being barefoot help :-p

PeanutsRevenge
    Participant

@boy wrote:

Ah. Cool. So with grounding, the advice that I had been working with was that it is easier to install the processor on the mono before putting it into the case. Does it really matter as long as I do whatever I need to do to ground myself? Does being barefoot help :-p

Yea, installing CPU/RAM and CPU Cooler first is usually helpful (but fit the brass motherboard standoffs first as it’s easier to figure which holes you need them in with a bare board).

Yes, barefoot helps, but it’s not that big of a problem unless you’re a absolute static generator, in which case, keep yourself grounded with some wire going to something grounded (easy in the UK, we have a 3rd pin on our plugs for it :))

BOY
    Participant

sounds good. Ya. we’re not in the stone ages… we have a third plug too. 😛

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.