This topic contains 2 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Thrax 9 years, 1 month ago.

• Author

Rommel
    Participant

While playing against Sam just now on the bot server, the game locked up my computer. Assuming the game would eventually time me out, I waited patiently. After timing out and regaining control of my machine, I was able to capture the error message. It seems to be something I’ve not seen in the past and thought it might be worth posting. Also, Good game to you Sam. Well done.

Thrax
    Participant

Means your system used so many resources to process that the
    game-server itself is lagging long enough to lose the link.

The server may be less draining than the client, but on some
    over-loaded actions it can still lag server-side for long periods.

Try lowering the details on the client to give the server more power to think.
    Also remember to force the server process to high-priority mode in the
    Task-Manager. it can solve many un-expected ejects on a windows based
    machine.

Rommel
    Participant

Thank you for the information on servers but I was playing against Sam on Gavins bot server.@thrax wrote:

Means your system used so many resources to process that the
    game-server itself is lagging long enough to lose the link.

The server may be less draining than the client, but on some
    over-loaded actions it can still lag server-side for long periods.

Try lowering the details on the client to give the server more power to think.
    Also remember to force the server process to high-priority mode in the
    Task-Manager. it can solve many un-expected ejects on a windows based
    machine.

It was the first time that I had seen this error and all I had intended was to present it as an unusual event. I’ve been able to play for almost 2 years running both the server and client on the same machine with very little trouble so I’m not likely to be changing any settings due to a single instance and would suggest that no one else did either.

However, if this is a problem with Gavin’s server as you seem to suggest, then hopefully he will find this thread to be beneficial.

Thrax
    Participant

@rommel wrote:

It was the first time that I had seen this error and all I had intended
    was to present it as an unusual event. I’ve been able to play for almost 2
    years running both the server and client on the same machine with very little
    trouble so I’m not likely to be changing any settings due to a single instance
    and would suggest that no one else did either.

However, if this is a problem with Gavin’s server as you seem to suggest, then
    hopefully he will find this thread to be beneficial.

It’s unusual simply because of the drain needed to finally cause it. It’s possible
    the error wasn’t in the game-server at all, but instead a serious drain on the
    pc itself for other reasons. It just showed thru the server as a time-out
    issue because it had lost time somewhere from lag and diddn’t respond in time.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.