This topic contains 49 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  DireWolf 5 years, 7 months ago.

• Author

Raden
    Participant

I have some ideas, some feasible, some maybe not, I don’t have the know how for codes and stuff, so I am not sure of the difficulties faced in the making of a game. Graphically, this game is quite super imo, so maybe changes in other forms would be a good idea to promote this games popularity. These changes I mention, can be implemented in a mod, and not directly to the classic version.

I think more aggressive advertising is needed to introduce the game to more people. I also think the stats calculation needs some adjustment. But most importantly, the whole concept of turn-based multiple round style needs to be changed. Maybe introduce things like clans or groups and have 2 sets of stats..personal and clan.

A gameplay that is more geared towards real time with no rounds, would be a good concept. A player can just join in at any point of the game and start shooting, and his money and weapons available, would be from what he previously had when he last logged out. That means it would be an ongoing game..no 10 round limit per game and also no 12-15 shot turns per round.

When the number of actual players have increased enough, (not talking about just multiple IDs), then maybe the idea of having clans can be introduced, in the hope of attracting more people to join in the game. People generally tend to have a liking for doing things in a group, so forming clans will come naturally, among friends initially, and later among other players who get to know each other in the game. Then mob-rules will become part of the game..haha.. and no one can complain about it.

Stats would consist of both personal/solo player stats and also clan stats. People would be competing against each other for personal glory, and groups will compete against each other for group glory. Then, possibly, you will have misunderstandings among members of the same clan/group, and this will lead to one or more member/s of a clan leaving a clan to form their own clan or leave for other clans, the former will in turn create more clans, and hopefully increasing the number of players playing this game, especially when it comes to clan leaders actively promoting the game among real life friends trying to get as many people as you can into your clan to make it stronger.

Senior members or long time players would have generally amassed more weapons and money and hence can provide cover for newer members who still need to make kills to collect enough money and weapons.

Another idea would be the reintroduction of bots or NPCs. Non Player Characters, that would be roaming the maps freely, for players to collect points and these NPCs do not leave the server when players join in, instead they stay in the game to make life harder for the human players. NPCs need to be standardized in terms of type… ie similar looking NPCs classifying a type of NPC and each type have different levels of difficuly in killing them. The easier ones will reward you with lesser points and lesser money, but the tougher NPCs will return better rewards and money for killing them.

The Scorched map, would have to be bigger and since there is no end of rounds or game..then there should be more variations in the theme of the map…maybe perhaps something like a merge of all the maps, into 1 huge map, with gateways in between to separate the maps. Introduce battle maps, where no NPCs are allowed in, where players battle only other human players. Another idea to incorporate would be to have bases, or safe houses, where players can park their tanks for a break while still in game.

These ideas are old ideas and are found in many other online games, but it seems the formula works and those games attract hundreds of players even thousands online at one time. So emulating the general idea of other games, might not be too bad if it does help in improving the popularity of this game.

Just inputting ideas guys..

ArmorWraith
    Participant

Welcome to Pro. 🙂

Armor

Laptops Daddy
    Participant

social interaction and competition need a lot more focus, i think. skill, rank and placements.

everything is undersold at the moment. v42 shames any and all prior releases in what it can do, but the way things are, the ‘none’ mod isnt as good as it was back in the v40 days. if im not alone in thinking that, we need to place why that is and give GC the feedback he needs to fix it. it doesnt matter what we throw at increased exposure – if the game itself isnt right, it won’t help. make the none mod perfect.

these are some of my thoughts:

interaction with water when weapons hit – we used to have that, and it made a difference.

i think the game sounds need tweaking to make the environment more immersive. that’s vague, so, for example, anyone who’s played apoc has probably seen those little egg things in the hell level that’ll pop and let off steam.

we have real interaction with ‘boids’ now. ships fire missiles, planes drop bombs. that needs tweaking. the ships need to fire proper ship missiles (currently theyre just standard babies). the bombs dropped by planes need whistling sounds or something, and they need to target players.

seems like most of the development in recent years has gone into the engine and into feature requests for modders. that’s nice, and i get it, that’s where the focus should be – building the foundation. but ‘none’ has suffered as a consequence. most people never get to see these incredible mods, because theyre not sticking around long enough.

the ‘none’ mod should be the benchmark. balanced, with no stupid stuff, keeping to the theme, but with all the bells and whistles.

ArmorWraith
    Participant

Har HAr HAr..

good ideas in theory, but you would loose more players faster than you could say “change”…

Armor

Laptops Daddy
    Participant

@armorwraith wrote:

good ideas in theory, but you would lose players faster than you could say “change”…

no no. no scary ‘changes’. a bit more loving care and maintenance for ‘none’.

which ideas are good in theory?

ArmorWraith
    Participant

An update is needed, I agree! The problem would be, would older players still play. The minute last version changed we had several older players immediately run away from the new version… and set up out of date servers.

Dont get me wrong, I love your suggestions and am all for it, but we might loose a few more players before we see any gains.

ps * did someone say they needed sounds and models. :biggrin:
    Armor

Laptops Daddy
    Participant

why dont we start a thread in the mods development forum for contributions that’d suit the ‘none’ mod. that is, drop-in replacements for the current sounds and accessories code.

btw, im not an s3d ‘developer’. i do have privs on that forum. if we get a +2 here, i dont mind taking responsibility for it – we could make it sticky. maybe gavin can pick and choose and add in anything he things appropriate? couldnt hurt.

Chopper
    Participant

Ya know, what screwed the game up from what main was ….well it was just a perfect storm of peoples’ situations, a few players who’s personalities clashed with some folks here and I guess a certain number that just gave up when someone took over the game.

Right wrong or whatever, any one thing we’d have been ok.
    What Im saying is the game hasn’t changed that much….yeah theres nuances to it and adjustments that had to be made.

Most of all though its always been a people game…..people make it or break it.

Hell, if it wasn’t a people game we’d all just play bots.

We need more on main and less in forums………….and tHAT my friends includes alot of ya.

Its saturday, 4:45 pm eastern….thats what 9:45 Peanut Time? Where the frack are ya? wheres the other europeans………….Acid won’t be gettin homne from the pubs yet…hes fun when hes blitzed.

Damnit guys, quit trying to whip up some “perfect” game ..it never was……..it was just fUN.

Cheers, I’m making a drink and heading to main,begginners….or wherever I can find a server with people instead of freakin’ bots.

Laptops Daddy
    Participant

i know. i watched it happen – there’s a thread on here somewhere. player after player making a post to say they’ve had enough, including admins. i dont know – stupid scuffles on the forums, something about ‘rules’ on the servers and a couple of possibly inappropriate admin appointments, if i remember right. i expect that’s all forgotten by now.

the social stuff’s important and the players do make the game. i cant help thinking (recognising) that if we were relying on the same core of players, something was up. maybe nothing is ‘broken’.

i just took a look, and i must have 10 or 20 scorched players on my skype and email lists. im sure i could gather at least half that many for a game or two, and if a few others did the same, we’d have a full server. that’s no good as a one-off. what we need, is a steady flow of new players, which was what i thought this thread was about.

Raden
    Participant

well Chops, you got a few facts right there…..I know why I left, and it’s not due to some petty changes in the server settings.

Next to Хуй, I’ve clocked the most time in this current version, and I have yet to see it reach it’s level of activity like before. Maybe I should give it a bit more time. My futile attempts at giving ideas to revive the game is probably what it is…futile. Maybe I should rephrase my original post and be more specific and ask for a mod with such features I mentioned, instead.

Anyways, cya guys on the battlefields.

ArmorWraith
    Participant

Sorry Raden, it seems when your awake im sleeping. Alot of my time is spent in my pro mod balancing and tweaking. Perhaps we can schedule a game sometime tonight or tommorow?

Armor

Chopper
    Participant

Comon back guys, get that skpe list goin…….its time for a hammer party! :mrgreen:

oh and aholes need not apply… [-X

Acid22
    Participant

@chopper wrote:

Its saturday, 4:45 pm eastern….thats what 9:45 Peanut Time? Where the frack are ya? wheres the other europeans………….Acid won’t be gettin homne from the pubs yet…hes fun when hes blitzed.

Don’t ever accuse me of being European again 😉

I have played when there was someone to play with. I have also tried to play the Mods but did’nt like it.

9-11PM SAT (Standard Acid Time) is when I’m around. I can be around ‘apres pub’ but quite possibly won’t remember it 😆

Chopper
    Participant

Sorry Acid….My bad… 😆

HWB
    Participant

@chopper wrote:

oh and aholes need not apply… [-X

I have been thinking about applying. Don’t know if my computer can hack it.

I was laying in bed the other night, thinking, about the fun we used to have. I have met good friends playing this game and I missed it so. The other day, I even mentionedChopper’s saying “Old guys rule” to my gf because it fit a situation. Maybe that was what got me thinking about this game again.

I do not know how to get people to play. I wish the people would come back. I wish I would play also. But I just wanted you guys to know, I have been thinking about the game and the people I used to play with.

Your friend, ur enemy,
    HWB

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 51 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.