This topic contains 22 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  apache64d 11 years, 8 months ago.

• Author

Cinnibar
    Participant

And for everyone complaining that they want to get on the newbie server because there’s never anyone on the mains…

The reasons there’s nobody on the mains are :

1) Fewer newbies stick to it long enough to get 50.
    2) Too many pros play on the newbie server while the mains is empty. There is no immediate incentive to migrate to the empty server for the pros once they’re on the bot server.
    3) There’s no mandatory migration to the mains.

The beginner server should be for strict beginner-only play. The bots should be giving advice (re-text the messages they send with common stuff like “did you remember to turn on your chutes?” “Save your money each round to earn more interest” “Sell back what you don’t need each round”)

There’s no reason the pros need to be on there to “teach” if the bots can do it.

barnabas
    Participant

You know, I used to like beginner’s server. I’d play with noobs and help them learn to buy chutes and that spread MIRV is mostly harmless.

But since the reset I barely go there because it’s harsh. In fact, I think getting mopped up by the regular pros on main is more fun than getting toasted by the “babypros” on beginner’s server. Beginner’s server is a rough cruel world that I am glad I have no more part of. Without the regular pros playing there, you get the babypros (those players who refuse to move on but get kills nonetheless) and the noobs. In my experience babypros are normally silent, glowering folks with little to say that doesn’t turn into asterisks. And noobs learn the atmosphere of the game by other people playing.

Honestly, it wasn’t until I, back in October, joined the main server that I realized some very fun and friendly people play this game.

This idea won’t get off the ground, but: what if there was a kill limit on beginner’s server, and yet admins could graciously bestow the ability for proven friendly pros to go there at will? It’s strong handed, sure, but it would work.

Of course, the most exclusive thing we could do is just create a password-protected “elitist” server by invitation only. Again, heavy handed, but it gets the job done. Now please invite me!!!

-barnabas

cbx550f
    Participant

@The Great Orange Barnabus wrote:

Honestly, it wasn’t until I, back in October, joined the main server that I realized some very fun and friendly people play this game.

And if this same situation had existed a few years ago, when I started playing, I may have gotten bored and went on to other things.

Oddly enough, it’s Boy, with whom I’ve agreed to disagree with on this whole topic, that I really agree with:
    @boy wrote:

Bottom line: why do we have a 50 kill limit, when the vast majority of players dont have enough fun to stick around and play for even more than half an hour?

When I started playing, back in the day of Gooseberry and Dog, one of the things that made me stick around was wondering “How the hell do they shoot like that?”!! lol
    I mean, I liked the game, but, really, it was the pure skill of the folks I was playing against that REALLY made me come back. Did I get my butt kicked? Hell yes! Did I get frustrated? HELL YES! But a good frustrated…. the kind that made me want to fight back, and learn, and fight better.

I choose not to vote in this poll.

I do, however, choose to quote a couple things:

@http://www.sourceforge.net/scorched3d/ wrote:

License: GNU General Public License (GPL)

@http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html wrote:

When we speak of free software, we are referring to freedom, not price.

@http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html wrote:

“Free software” is a matter of liberty, not price. To understand the concept, you should think of “free” as in “free speech,” not as in “free beer.”

Free Scorched3d.

BOY
    Participant

nice speech, truly. As a freedom lover, I appreciate your sensibilities 😆

I also chose not to vote in this poll, because I voted once already, however I do think that the main question should be this:

Is the BEGINNER server really a good place for beginners to start out?

My answer, and the majority I believe would be: NO, it is not

The 50 kill limit had good intentions, but I think it does not work as intended. Even though I am also in favor of a MIN/MAX limit, I concur with cbx, free scorched3d, free the noobs!

HWB
    Participant
    “cbx550f wrote:
    I mean, I liked the game, but, really, it was the pure skill of the folks I was playing against that REALLY made me come back. Did I get my butt kicked? Hell yes! Did I get frustrated? HELL YES! But a good frustrated…. the kind that made me want to fight back, and learn, and fight better.

CBX is so right. People thought that I got good really fast. I don’t know if that is true, but I couldn’t stand sucking so badly. I ate and dream Scorched for at atleast a week. A lot of things I saw(when I was dead)helped me more than can be imagined.

People that read my comments on other posts know how I voted.
    And that is all I have to say about that.

apache64d
    Participant

BTW, the poll was set for 10 days..

jdog
    Participant

[quote=”cbx550fWhen I started playing, back in the day of Gooseberry and Dog, one of the things that made me stick around was wondering “How the hell do they shoot like that?”!! lol
    I mean, I liked the game, but, really, it was the pure skill of the folks I was playing against that REALLY made me come back. Did I get my butt kicked? Hell yes! Did I get frustrated? HELL YES! But a good frustrated… the kind that made me want to fight back, and learn, and fight better.
    [/quote]

And as soon as I get my new computer up and running I’ll be back to kick some more Butt! (soon, people, soon!)

Morris1009
    Participant

When I found this game, a little over a month ago, I was instantly hooked. I found myself playing it for hours at a time. Was this because I was some noob that caught on really quickly and became some sort of a killing machine? No, I got my A** kicked royaly. I dont think I had a kill for many, many rounds. Did I get frustrated? You betcha, but you know the only thing that kept me coming back was the treatment I got from more experienced players. There is nothing like coming onto a server and having everyone help you by giving you tips and secrets that they have figured out. Many people complain about people leaving because the Pros on the beginners server are mopping the floor with them, I stayed and learned.

Dont generalize an argument that can’t be generalized. Apache I respect you as a player but we have a term in law school for what you did in your questions for the poll. It is called leading the witness. I have never felt so led by a question as I have with yours. Your terminology leads the reader to one conclusion and it is not hard at all to see where your decision lies.

While I dont agree with players staying on the noob server and never coming over to main, dont punish us that just like to play the game. there are so many times when I go on to recruit people from beginners to main that the noobs want to come and play but they can’t because they don’t have the kill limit. Who is limiting who here? Scorched isnt about putting rules up and being an ever controlling admin, its about coming together to play with your friends… the same people you see on night after night. Will we get our a##es handed to us.. Yes… Will we do some a## kicking? Yes.

Scorched is like a home away from home, dont go putting up stupid rules that change what it is….. Fun as hell

apache64d
    Participant

The poll was set, lke I said, for 10 days.
    10 days over.
    LOCKED.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘New Beginners server Poll’ is closed to new replies.