This topic contains 194 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  The AI 9 years, 8 months ago.

• Author

The AI
    Participant

The question still stands though, I have a small scheme that involves the answer.

The AI
    Participant

The question has been answered.

I would like to bring back up my question on maps, more larger, exterior ones? or more smaller, interior ones?

ORCACommander
    Participant

I like medium range maps mostly but i do like the close quarters action of a small map

The AI
    Participant

I should explain further.

When I say interior, I am referring to a building structure. With walls, corridors, rooms, and other, more interesting abilities. These maps are still in the fledgling stages; I have not delved into the offered depths as of yet.

I have a single map of this type, untextured, unpolished, untried with many people.

The responses I get here will determine whether or not I will pursue these maps. They have their own advantages, and deficits.

They can become confusing. You and your enemy can run in circles for a whole match without killing each other. I am looking at ways to change this; but no sure fire way yet.

I still have some flaws to work out for the application side of things. But as of yet I am still on the fence for whether or not I will stick with them. The decision will change the weapon creation process for neg. It might be possible to create two versions, but I need to figure out which one will come first.

The maps might cause an overt amount of system strain. This might be a ghost in the system, or a flaw that can be fixed. But the one who I am working with is having trouble processing the map. This might be fixed in the release of version 41.1 but it is not known, for I have not as of yet downloaded the update.

There is also a chance that the system strain could be reduced compared to other maps. With entirely building contained maps there would be no water, and I could draw the fog right up to the walls.

Another plus on the game play side of things is objectives, reactor cores, safes, and other objects could be placed with synergy into the map.
    I am awaiting contact with the one who is helping me with modeling to see if forms of cover can be produced.

ORCACommander
    Participant

would be a nice new game mode. would give greater importance to lasers and diggers as well as teleport systems. some ways to get around it would be random distribution of munitions capsules and health packs along the floor.

The AI
    Participant

You comment about diggers and lasers is a good example of some of the balancing. If I went all building, the weapons would be more along the lines of non earth damaging. Lasers and other dirt penetrating weapons would be possibly removed. But a large amount of shoot and move would be added.

Depending on the individual map; some might be raiding a warehouse for such said ammo. Or guarding it. I am still thinking a team based mod. Buildings augment team play greatly.

If there is enough interest in building maps I could try and churn out a few more.

Also, if anyone has an idea for a layout of one I could give it a spin.

KTM Rider
    Participant

So you can add/remove weapons on a per-map basis? How would that work if I already have a digger in my inventory?

I almost think lasers would be neat on the maps. If everyone was on the same plane, you’d have to limit their effective range. But it would force the player to be aware of his/her surroundings.

Bobirov
    Participant

@KTM Rider wrote:

So you can add/remove weapons on a per-map basis? How would that work if I already have a digger in my inventory?

Well, the short answer is no, you can’t, at least not explicitly. Although there are a few exceptions to this.

Its possible you could use the server’s ‘limit weapons by armslevel’ type functionality to accomplish that. Provided you set up the armslevels properly, you could slowly allow bigger and bigger weapons as the rounds go by. The Apoc FFA server does this (round 1 max armslevel = 6, round 8 max armslevel = 10).

Now that I think about it, its possible you could use the new include files to limit the maximum armslevel of a particular map. Although I have no idea what effect that would have on weapons that are above that armslevel that are in a player’s inventory. Would they still be able to use them? Would they disappear from their inventory? I dunno. 😉

You could also somewhat accomplish that by limiting rounds per game to 1 and only giving out the weapons you want available in drops on the map, similar to how resupplying is handled in OpScorched. Or if you don’t mind about leftover weapons so much you wouldn’t have to limit the rounds per game to 1.

Just some thoughts on solutions to that issue.

The AI
    Participant

thanks for the info. I am thinking though of the general direction of the mod, which would then change the entire weapon system itself.
    I may need to post a much dreaded poll to gain a response on this though. But to tide you over until a choice is made; I give you a rough shot of a building.

FREAK
    Participant

Did you ever get my sound pack AI?

I had all the sounds you asked for and a bunch more.

There was about 27 in all.

The AI
    Participant

I only have thirteen sounds from you freak. So either you sent them to me and I forgot them. They were lost in some forum glitch, or both of us forgot it some how.

We were both incognito allot during the summer; then there was your HDD frying. All of it ending up with me forgetting the list. Then we were back for a bit, and we started talking about the sound file for the tattered essence. Then you disappeared again. Now here we all are scratching our heads and laughing about the irony.

Welcome back freak.

S-killZ
    Participant

The mod looks sweet so far its like quake+opscorched! i can’t wait till it comes out!

The AI
    Participant

Here is a textured screen shot of the cave map. Note the fps difference.

KTM Rider
    Participant

Yep, much better lookin’ AI. So are you going to add Eye Candy to the map to make it look a bit less… blank?

I just had an interesting idea. Too bad tanks had to conform to the laws of physics, because it would be quite interesting to drive on the ceiling of that map. I need to stop reading Scott Card…..

The AI
    Participant

The point of that map is to be cave-like, I am thinking of a more building like building next, perhaps with some forms of cover, if I can track down the models.

Or conversely, I could make a map will all the objects and such on the roof, wouldn’t fit in neg, but would be funny.

One other thing. Does scorched and wings work well together? Or will I have to bash my brain around and re-learn blender?

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 196 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.