This topic contains 30 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Rommel 8 years, 5 months ago.

• Author

pastor of muppets
    Participant

Does anyone have any ideas how to save stuff off of a crashed external drive? I’m not asking for myself, my niece is very talented and is actually an author of young teen fiction books, she is only 14 and has had one short story published. She was working on her first novel and actually has a contract for 20,000 if she completes it to the editors liking. She was 500 pages into had it saved on her hd and external hd when their comp messed up they sent it in for warranty work got it back wiped clean then the external HD crashed. If you have any advice how to save it or if you can do it fairly cheap she would be eternally grateful. One guy told her he could do it but wants over 2 grand to do it. She is 14 that is impossible for her.

PeanutsRevenge
    Participant

Data recovery can be hugely expensive, but starts at around $300 I think (what’s the exchange rate atm?? Sorry, but I’m even sure the dollar is actually worth anything, so it might be $100,000,000,000,000,000 just to post it :p)

When you say ‘crashed’ wha does that mean exactly?

Is it being recognised as a hard drive?
    Is it spinning up when plugged in?
    Is it making really bad sounds?? (if so, don’t turn it on again)

Need more information dude, but if the motors have died or heads given up, the recovery shouldn’t be TOO rediculous.

It’s likely the data will still be quite happy sitting on the platters, which means it’s pretty easy for the experts (in a clean room) to take the platters out and put them in a working drive, plug it into a computer, extract the required data, burn to a dvd and post off to your niece.

I can’t recommend a company, as I only know of a UK company, however, I shall try to remember to give them a call and see if they know of a decent co. in the states, and pass that onto you.

pastor of muppets
    Participant

Thanks nut I will find out what crash means. She just said it crashed. They have been missionaries in Africa and only returned a week ago this weekend was the first time I had seen her in years. She is awesome (don’t tell her I said that) but we love to give eachother crap a lot. This problem really had her upset and I would love to help her out she really is quite a genius for her age having already been published once I believe she was 12 when that happened.

Irishbandit
    Participant

Depending on what kind of crash it was there is software that can help retrieve files. PeanutsRevenge has the correct questions to ask.

Also make sure that the computer she is checking it on is using (assuming its a usb drive) the usb connectors in the back of the computer not the front.

Could you find out what type of drive it is??

Also POM i can try to find a company in state that does that kind of work. Techs from the schools ask the same question all the time.

pastor of muppets
    Participant

I will call her tomorrow and ask. I really do appreciate the help guys.

pastor of muppets
    Participant

Ok just spoke to my sister she says that the drive is recognized but when you open it, it says the folder is empty. My sister said it makes a whirring noise (she described it like a creeky screen door) then it goes click click click bong. She says it keeps repeating this sound. That is the best I could get from her over the phone I hope this helps.

Rommel
    Participant

Hi POM :

The drive is operable.

She may have a bad FAT (File Allocation Table). Although commonly called a FAT table, this is equivelant to saying your PIN number (Personal Identification Number number).

If so, the FAT can often be rebuilt.

However, if she didn’t suspect this in the first place, I would not reccommend that she attack it on her own.

A “qualified” pc technician should be able to check the drive and give her the low down but unless she wants to risk loosing her data, I would suggest that she not let me, you or Peanuts Revenge touch it.

Further, I do not reccommend shipping the drive off to a data recovery center until it can be examined locally. This is of course, an option but unless the data contained is critical, I’d save that for a last resort.

Best of luck though,

Rommel

yusuf
    Participant

A “qualified” pc technician should be able to check the drive and give her the low down but unless she wants to risk loosing her data, I would suggest that she not let me, you or Peanuts Revenge touch it.

there is no such thing as a “Qalified” pc technician .. i really apologise to talk on irrelevant subjects but really when it comes to these things, rommel stay 22.3 miles away.. peanut revenge or anyone here wouldnt want anyone to lose their stuff .. so he wont say anything unless he knows it ..

my suggestion rommel is to keep your trap shut while u can .. if thats rude, its intentional. There i said it.

pom, u can take it to guy who recover data but ud probably have to spend a lot of money on it. i dont know what the problem is so iam sorry i couldnt help you. Laptop, peanut could tell u.

take care . 🙂

Laptops Daddy
    Participant

poor rommel.

yes, peanuts has it covered. a dodgy sound implies hardware failure.

i guess its possible theres a problem with the usb (or whatever) part of the unit. i think most external drives use standard hard drives inside the chassis (sata or ide). it may be worth breaking it open and connecting it up as an internal drive.

depends how much the data is worth to you. if its vital and worth the money, dont let an amateur touch it. as pr said, you need experts with clean rooms etc, but its very expensive.

if theres no way the data is worth the money, as i say, try breaking it open and connecting it to a standard interface. you may find there are jumpers on the back of the drive that will allow it to work at a lower speed or with a different setting or something. make and model number would help if you need to find info.

**btw, if you can get access to the drive at all but the data doesnt seem to be there, DO NOT install any data recovery utilities to the drive. thats the hard drive failure classic. the data will remain so long as you dont overwrite it. write anything at all to the drive, and its gone for good.

PeanutsRevenge
    Participant

I’ve just rung the company and am awaiting a call back from one of their techies.

They have a sister company in the states, but communication will be done through the UK branch. It might need to be done through my mates company tho as I don’t think they deal directly with the general public. It’s trickier than I expected.

THe sounds it’s making clearly indicated to me it’s a hardware faillier, probably with the drive heads (hence the clicking as they’re bouncing off the parking area, tho I’m certainly not the expert in this field).

I can’t imagine that hooking it upto an internal connection will help or rebuild the FAT. It’s similar to a scratched to hell CD/DVD.. ya know when you put one in the drive, the whole computer frezes while the disk spins and spins and spins and comes back saying either no data or an empty, writable disk (which you know it’s not).

Shipping a drive like that should produce no further damage providing it’s packed sufficiently and that the heads are parking themselves properly and not sitting just above the platters where they can be knocked onto the platters and scratching them.

The issue I foresee at the moment will be price.
    They will not know until they recieve the drive how much it’s going to cost, what tends to heppen is that the drive gets sent off, where it’s examined, they’ll then figure out what can be done and whether or not they can get any or all data off.
    They’ll come up with a price and if you’re happy, they’ll go ahead and extract the data and burn to DVD(s) for you which will then be mailed once payment is recieved.
    If you are not happy with the price, then they will send the drive back to you and a minimal fee will be due (about £50 I think it is here) for postage and anlasys).

All PM full details to POM when I get them a little later and a summary here for everyone else that might be curious.

Laptops Daddy
    Participant

@peanutsrevenge wrote:

THe sounds it’s making clearly indicated to me it’s a hardware faillier

i concur. (what are the odds? : )

just in case its helpful…

if it was me, id start with checking the smart. (assuming the drives detected by the system). if that didnt give a clue, id break it open, see about connecting it sata style, restrict the speed if possible, see if the drive was detected by the bios. if detected, id check the smart, then dd the whole drive before checking it with some recovery software (installed on a different drive). if that didnt work, id look into the less documented jumper settings.

definitely worth a go if pro hard drive experts co inc recovery is out of the question. also, id charge you more than peanut (cause i know how to dump : ), but less than rommel, cause i havent used fat since the days of televisions and radio cassettes and wouldnt have a clue. (prob is/was a fat32 fle system, though)

PeanutsRevenge
    Participant

I wouldn’t do as Lappy says.
    Often that would be a smart move, but the noises it’s making would steer me away from powering up for risk of data corruption.

And it’s still called a FAT I believe tho Lappy, even tho its now the NT File system, it’s still the file allocation table.. is it not?? (I should really have googled before posting :D)

Also, how old is the drive… Most drives came with 5 year warrenties (altho that’s down to 3 with most companies now), might be worth giving the manufacturer a call and explaining the situation, they MIGHT be able to help, with external drives often be used for backup, if they fail.. people tend to end up in POMs nieces postion (I won’t say screwed, cos that would be wrong on SOO many levels).

Raden
    Participant

Just out of curiosity, any idea what brand of HDD is this and how long has it been used?

Laptops Daddy
    Participant

@peanutsrevenge wrote:

I should really have googled before posting…

i concur

wow, twice in one thread : )

PeanutsRevenge
    Participant

@laptops Daddy wrote:

@peanutsrevenge wrote:

I should really have googled before posting…

i concur

wow, twice in one thread : )

..l.

😀

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.