This topic contains 12 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 6 years, 2 months ago.

• Author

PeanutsRevenge
    Participant

Hello fellow oddities of the human species.
    I have been doing a lot of coding recently, as some of you will already be aware due to my previous posts here. What I need now and in face have required for some time, is decent coding music. I’ve tried Faithless, Moby, Prodigy, Enya, Cypress Hill, Pink, a couple of trance playlists on YouTube, but none have quite been right.

Anyone got any ideas, please don’t just say music you like, or diss the music I’ve tried, I’m after recommendations that will help my brain to focus on the monotony of the task at hand.

Thank you for time and useful input.

Forever funking

Peanut

QuadShotz
    Participant

IDK how I can recommend something if I can’t say what I like. πŸ˜‰

Far as coding music goes, well, that’s quite personal in taste. Some folks like industrial, some like classical. It just depends on what your brain grooves on.

(I listen to Jorn, Apocalyptica, Dream Theatre and Metallica a lot when in a creative bent)

PeanutsRevenge
    Participant

@quadshotz wrote:

IDK how I can recommend something if I can’t say what I like. πŸ˜‰

Far as coding music goes, well, that’s quite personal in taste. Some folks like industrial, some like classical. It just depends on what your brain grooves on.

(I listen to Jorn a lot)

Seems along the right lines from the start of Spotify, first ‘of their top tracks’ I walk alone is promising.
    Thanks

QuadShotz
    Participant

YW mate, you have PM… πŸ˜‰

You need anything, lemme know.

Anonymous

My tastes are firmly rooted in the black metal / Post black subgenre (phazm, solefald, ajattara, Blut aus Nord etc.) so I doubt personal recommendations would help.

However, when coding, I find that I usually move into something that is much more sedate, even inspiring but not as intense as the above.

Have you tried putting on some Boards of Canada? Great ambient music.

There’s also some Lustmord you can try, dark ambient music, you don’t really want to listen to that when nervous and coding in a basement with the lights low

Finally I love to put on some lute, there are some great pieces, you want to seek out work by John Dowland, or players like Michael Shaffer.

Give it a spin, you never know, and when sampling, do the artist justice, try a few tracks not just the one πŸ˜‰

ArmorWraith
    Participant

Believe it or not, I listen to medieval music. (I coded all summer and found some great pieces.) David Arkenstone is a great composer for relaxing arthurian tunes. πŸ™‚

I usually listen to alot of music when I code, just depends how I feel. πŸ™‚

Armor

PeanutsRevenge
    Participant

Boards of canada now playing on Spotify, Roygbiv atm WTF that is!

It’s, different so far.

Thanks

Anonymous

@peanutsrevenge wrote:

Boards of canada now playing on Spotify, Roygbiv atm WTF that is!

It’s, different so far.

Thanks

LOL ROYBGIV=Red Orange Yellow Blue Green Indigo Violet
    or the colors of a rainbow. Try Dayvan Cowboy as well from Boards, it’s atmospheric a bit. And different sometimes isn’t a bad thing πŸ˜‰

Laptops Daddy
    Participant

did you really mean something ‘to focus on the monotony’? when i have monotonous tasks, i try to do it on autopilot watching the news or some comedy to occupy my mind.

‘coding music’ for me is a different thing. if im getting into serious clever stuff and i need to focus, i like ridiculously high tempo music, to be taken with 10 or 20 cups of coffee or tea and maybe a few double vodkas if it’s late and weekend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1nFB-R-_gI

a warning from my experience – always comment if youre coding in the zone. ive lost count of the number of times ive gone back to some piece three weeks later and needed 4 hours to decipher 10 minutes of ‘easy – that was left handed. *sip*, cigarette’ caffeine fuelled drunken brilliance.

PeanutsRevenge
    Participant

Yea, I think the fast stuff too usually and all coding is monotonous crap to me!

PeanutsRevenge
    Participant

Thanks to those that took the time in an attempt to help me with (one of) my problem.

As this is one of the things I was working on, that’s SOOO nearly complete, I thought I’d share.
    It’s the admin page for the server I’ve been talking about: (the unsuccessful backups were intentional, testing response to backup attempts to a drive that’s not attached. however, it will always show an unsuccessful backup, even if it was 3 years earlier, if, that is, there has been an unsuccessful backup.

I will be happy to share the code for this in a few weeks time to anyone with a linux server should they like to impliment it on their own server.

[attachment=0:14r21is9]server admin page.PNG[/attachment:14r21is9]

Laptops Daddy
    Participant

nice. did you write that from scratch?

i put together a bash script last year for incremental backups over a network. it sends a magic packet, wakes the target, sends an email with a report. i had it alternate between two shares/folders, i think. i forget – some clever stuff so there are only ever two.

PeanutsRevenge
    Participant

Thanks man.

Yea, between Richie and I, it’s from scratch.
    Some of the code was already done from a job a coupe of years back which Richie then updated for his own server, I’ve then taken that improved code and enhanced it further.

The bash scripts (which are the same whether executed through cron or on the site) are checking if drive mounted, if not mounting, if wont mount, then failing and writing to log, if mounts, then Rsyncs, writes log and unmounts.
    Else Rsyncing and writing log.

The mount, unmount, service start/stop and shutdown are obvious scripts.

System temps are just using sensors, UPS status is APCaccess and there’s also smart info by clicking the drive icon in the top left.

The next one to have fun with will be RADIUS, it’s already being a sod and that’s in its most basic form.

Anonymous

Strangely enough, lifehacker today recomments Boards of Canada for work music:

http://lifehacker.com/5846895/boards-of-canada

“Although BoC gets slightly more bombastic than the basically one-step-up-from-silence Music For Airports, it rarely hits crazy enough heights to distract youβ€”or I guess meβ€”from work”

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.