This topic contains 11 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  DeVice 13 years, 10 months ago.

• Author

Anonymous
    Participant

I don’t really know what the point to this would be, but I thought it might add a extra edge to things. What if it was possible to have certain natural disasters? Floods? Hurricanes? Lightning Storms? They would be just random events throughout the game. They wouldn’t have to be happening constantly, but it would be cool to see clouds role in and thunderstorm occur during the game. Even if those things didn’t effect the health of the players, it might make it slightly harder to make accurate shots.

For example, what if I made my move and on it’s way to it’s target it hit a tornado? lol, ok that’s a little far fetched.

in the least, maybe it could make the visibility a little bit less and make it more realistic.

imported_gcamp
    Participant

Yeah a good idea, the original game had lightning and metor storms. Just need to get around to it.

For example, what if I made my move and on it’s way to it’s target it hit a tornado? lol, ok that’s a little far fetched.

🙂

in the least, maybe it could make the visibility a little bit less and make it more realistic.

Yeah that is a good idea. I also want to add some kind of mist/fog or low clouds to the island. Currently it looks too clean.

Fever
    Participant

How difficult would it be to add in some birds? Some seagulls flying about and landing could be really cool, especially if you could “accidentally” shoot them. Pterodactyls would be even cooler 😀

Knochi
    Participant

Yeah that would be cool.
    Perhabs you can add Wales in the Water…
    Do you know Johnny Castaway (a very old Screensaver) ? 😀
    Would nice to see him passing by.

imported_gcamp
    Participant

Ok, I’ll look into it. Some flocking boids would be cool 🙂

ymmotrojam
    Participant

@knochi wrote:

Yeah that would be cool.
    Perhabs you can add Wales in the Water…
    Do you know Johnny Castaway (a very old Screensaver) ? 😀
    Would nice to see him passing by.

I’m no environmentalist, but you’d have to deal with dead whales because of missed shots. 😆 Maybe they could be made to automatically move away from the point of impact as the missile gets closer.

Of course if whales get added, then there has to be other animals. Hopefully these animals will only be extra special effects and won’t interfere with the gameplay. Because if they are optional stuff, some people that don’t want to see them can just disable that feature.

I don’t want to be critical of others ideas, but having animals would require that they would be independent of themselves. Meaning, they would move around in the 3d environment all the time. I guess that sounds sort of basic logic, but if you play a lot of Internet/LAN games with the gameplay setting “simultaneous” turned on, you will understand. If you don’t understand, with the simultaneous setting is turned on, everyone decides their move before any shots are made. So the animal(s) would have to be moving around when other actions were not happening, if that makes any sense… 🙂

Anonymous
    Participant

How about lightning storms and meteor showers? They were in the original game.

Deathstryker
    Participant

IMO, I think things from the older game should be added first, like the weather effects (Yeah, I know it sounds challenging but face it, you’ll have to tackle it sometime). Then the more out of context things should be added for fine details.

Fever
    Participant

I don’t want to be critical of others ideas, but having animals would require that they would be independent of themselves. Meaning, they would move around in the 3d environment all the time. I guess that sounds sort of basic logic, but if you play a lot of Internet/LAN games with the gameplay setting “simultaneous” turned on, you will understand. If you don’t understand, with the simultaneous setting is turned on, everyone decides their move before any shots are made. So the animal(s) would have to be moving around when other actions were not happening, if that makes any sense…

I don’t really see the problem with having animals moving around while waiting for everyone finish their buying/firing decisions. In multiplayer games where the passage of time is a meaningful concept then yeah I can see it, but here it just doesn’t seem like much of a problem. Worst case, you think of deciding your shot and then waiting for others as locking in your firing solution and waiting for the go ahead. Time passes but your decision has been made. Having birds stop in mid-air would be weird.

ymmotrojam
    Participant

I didn’t really make it clear, but my point was that it may not be good on slow pcs where the frames per minute could be close to nothing.

Anonymous
    Participant

I think animals should have a point to them other then just being there. perhaps if you manage to hit an animal you get a set sum of money. And that sum varies with the type of animal you hit/kill.

The natural Disasters idea sounds verygood though. I would hate it if a tornado came and hit me while i was making my shot. But laugh my ass off at a friend having it happen to him.

kyrsjo
    Participant

Are we trying to photocopy the old game in 3D? Or are we making a new one, albeit with some ideas from the old one?

DeVice
    Participant

In my opinion, both should be able to be completed using a bit of customization for the “brand new shiny game” part.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.