This topic contains 52 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Chopper 7 years, 8 months ago.

• Author

Laptops Daddy
    Participant

I have a couple of opinions if the thread is still open.

Regarding the declining numbers, I’d blame the huge influx of “free” Flash games over the past couple of years. (it’s a google/youtube effect, i think). Google for free games and the list is dominated. Im convinced that’s part of it. (I know I mentioned that in one of the other threads).

I have more. Im a bit reluctant to type this, but:

Speaking as a gamer, v42 ‘none’ mod just isnt as good as V41 and v 40 were. The water is beautiful and it added a lot, but I think we lost something at the same time. I remember explosions in the water causing waves and ripples. I dont think we have that anymore.

The explosion textures changed (I think I remember you saying there were copyright issues with the old ones), and the new ones were never as good. Delayed defence was turned on in the main server and we lost a lot of that tension building atmosphere. (Hearing a few mag shields go up one at a time, or a player putting up 3 force shields in a row to add insult to a win).

Speaking as a modder, the potential in v42 was (and is) huge. It’s far superior to the ealier releases and v43 looks even better.

If you could implement some of the new features and harness some of that in the main game, I know youve already started to, interactive ships and landscape models, lua weapons…

We always have mods, Thrax has done some amazing stuff in his Starwars mod, and I demo’d some of the potential LUA scripting has for that failed team tournament, but these mods are always in a kind of sandbox – a lot of people have probably never seen what v42 is really capable of.

I know a lot of those things are already addressed in the beta, but i thought Id add my thoughts anyway.

A couple of suggestions that may or may not work for new landscapes:

Could you try increasing the seabed landscape height a little (or reducing minimum height), so that large deaths head style explosions on relatively flat land leave more than a level surface. (ie, a deep crater could look good?). And to expand on that, imagine if you had a special ‘0 level’ scorch texture, so that if you did level the land right down to the seabed, you could have, say a tron style grid*. I can imagine people getting a bit of fun out of “wow, that explosion was so big it broke the game” (or similar : )

and I think the scorch textures overall could use some work. Last I looked, a few didnt tile properly and those that did had quite an obvious repeat pattern.

I hope that’s constructive and not too critical, as always.

@gcamp wrote:

All games especially ones that have been out for a while go through a decline. Usually this is because the game becomes old and stagnant or people become bored of it, not because the game changes, completely the opposite in fact. If the game changes and keeps fresh it keeps people.

*that’s already possible with some mod trickery and thrax will pick me up on that if i dont mention it, but it’s a bit of a hacky method.

apache64d
    Participant

Does it matter if some1 is agree or disagree?..cause BOY does it any way his way or no way…

BOY
    Participant

laptop, good points.

@apache64d wrote:

Does it matter if some1 is agree or disagree?..cause BOY does it any way his way or no way…

your comment is not relevant to this conversation. The topics and ideas in this thread have little or nothing to do with me.

delayed defense activation: Not me.
    explosion textures: Not me.
    water ripples: Not me.
    google flash games: Not me.
    game development: Not me.

If you have a suggestion about the game or the things laptop said, you should comment on that, this is a serious discussion, not for you gripes, go gripe about me in the compaints section, that is what it is for.

A Moogle
    Participant

@boy wrote:

your comment is not relevant to this conversation. The topics and ideas in this thread have little or nothing to do with me.

Perhaps a re-read of the original post will do you some good. This thread did, in fact, begin with you as a topic. Not a major topic, no, but you were nonetheless brought up in more than one point.

On the topic of a grid-like texture on the seabed and a lower “absolute” level for it, I quite like the idea. Hitting bedrock was/is a bit too easy/fast, but changing it would be mostly an appearance change.

To be frank, I’m a gamer who puts good game play on a much higher priority than high-end graphical effects. High-resolution textures and models will never compensate for games with horrid game play – example being “Crysis: The Virtual Sight-Seeing Tour – With Guns!”. The gameplay is what attracted me to Scorched to begin with, and is what has kept me coming back.

As for personal opinion:
    Lua Scripting: Nice idea, but needs some documentation.
    Lower minimum height: Something I’ve wanted to see for a while.

Laptops Daddy
    Participant

@A Moogle wrote:

… I’m a gamer who puts good game play on a much higher priority than high-end graphical effects. High-resolution textures and models will never compensate for games with horrid game play – example being “Crysis: The Virtual Sight-Seeing Tour – With Guns!”. The gameplay is what attracted me to Scorched to begin with, and is what has kept me coming back.

i am with you on that. crysis was awful. if you ask me, the only reason anyones heard of it is because it was so resource hungry and got used as a benchmark.

im the kind of gamer who likes to torrent an iso a few times a year, test out what my latest hardware can do for 20 mins then get back to work you slacker.

that doesnt really apply to scorched. part of its appeal for me is the minimal hardware requirements and the limited amount of attention required to play it. i can leave a few things running in the background, join a game for a few rounds, skip a few turns if i get a phone call.

i dont want to lose that, but at the same time, i think attention to detail in the graphics can make a game. we dont need a billion texels per second, just some tweaks and polish.

here’s one for you: http://www.elizium.nu/scripts/lemmings/ : )

Chopper
    Participant

See guys….keep it simple….don’t make things too fancy. #-o Let’s play scorch.. =D>

HWB
    Participant

I wish I had something profound to say. A lot good issues are being talked about. I do have opinion but I don’t even want to talk about small maps, funkies, mcb, hogs, dirt, square counting, ranking system, etc, etc. The lack of interest in the game is what I care about. Seams to me everyone loves this game or they wouldn’t be so spam oriented when a huge issue comes up.

About the game and the players:
    We been through many changes. Some of these changes I hated. Some of them I loved. I can say the same thing about players. But it is the players in the game that makes the game. You can’t change a player as easily or at all like you can messing with the game coding. Yet I do agree with Gavin as to keeping the game fresh and it needs changes to keep everyone interested.

As a community we love the game. As a community we are vulnerable to people wanting to hurt the love for this game. They are always coming and going into our games and it seams like into our lives. Once they get under your skin….THEY HAVE WON!!! So don’t let them. I understand it is easier said than done.

I say this for the new players and the old players. But I am on the Chopper band wagon. Just play and kill some tanks. But also, if you are not having fun playing with certain people, don’t play in that server when they are and check out a mod. But it seams that players are scarce. And if I was you, I would take a real person over bots any day even though you don’t agree with there playing style.

pianoplayer88key
    Participant

@thrax wrote:

@hyde911 wrote:

If you want MCB type play… Goto the place we specifically made for you, and let the more appreciative players use whatever they wish. If that place is not acceptable, explain clearly why.. and how to fix it.

Thrax, the main reason I don’t on the MCB server is because it does not give me the opportunity to choose from ALL default equipment, like I can on main (if I save my $). Like, what are you going to do with $950k, with only 12 shots per round, and only able to buy Ms, Cs and Bs on the final round? On the final round I expect to see force shields and teleports being used, funkies and death heads flying around, and everyone (at the start of the round) having a combined grand total of maybe $5k left. That’s how I’ve always played (and observed others play) MCB – last round was always FFA, and that is currently (at least last time I connected several months ago) impossible on the MCB mod server.

Chopper
    Participant

comeon Back and play some PianoMan….ill give ya a round 10 fireworks! :mrgreen:

Viewing 9 posts - 46 through 54 (of 54 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.