This topic contains 52 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Chopper 7 years, 6 months ago.

• Author

apache64d
    Participant

I think something is not clear enough.
    You all can play what ever you want in the main server...AS long as every1 agree on that rule. If some1 comes and want to play different (free will also) then the game changes to free weapons.
    Like some others said, if BOY said it is prohibited it doesn’t that doesn’t make it true. Gavin Camp never allowed it.
    geezzzze BOY you really took it too far.
    The game really lost most of the fan (and fun) of its. That’s why (also) I play less and less want to play. Prices got too high..weapons got unuseful..funky bombs lost their unique thing…BUYING ON ROUND 1?? since when? why?? there is no challenge now..without even getting a kill u automaticly can buy weapons..
    So many classics things are now gone/removed..so many changes that made the game less FUN…so disappointed.

BOY
    Participant

@Hyde wrote:

I don’t see the reason why MCB should be forbidden. Problem is not in MCB itself but with people who force other players (mostly noobs) to play MCB. This should entirely prohibited, even under threat of ban.

Yes, that is true. The problem is enforcement.

Also consider that half way through the game, newer players are at an increased disadvantage money wise when they join. Additionally it is an artificial boost to skill.

THe bot discussion is not a separate discussion entirely, the bot does have an influence on MCB because he can’t talk to you. It is very relevant. But laptops point that stopping MCB is true, its a bit silly, I just don’t see a better way. If players continue to play this rule, it will affect the noobs, and it isn’t good for recruiting players unless they’re already professional level.

apache:
    The key thing is AGREEING. FFA means no rules, so none should be made. I really don’t care about MCB that much but the thing is this: If we want the server get really get more activity then it needs to look more interesting. MCB is not what people want to see when they join the game. MCB is for veterans.

The main server should not be a veteran server only. Unfortunately our players are too few and not very many people stay around, so we are left with a small group of veterans only.

apache you need to look outside the box and think about the image of the game that new peolple see. You’ve lost that, instead you only think about the people you play with at the moment. That is what we need to avoid.

parasti
    Participant

@xtc wrote:

3. Keep things open.

I remember this being a problem for me when I first tried to submit patches. It seemed like there was this layer of secrecy and discretion surrounding the development of the game, with no clues on how a new contributor should proceed. I heard tales of a private developer forum which sounded like what I was looking for, but which I couldn’t even read to get an idea of the development process. (Hell, at the time there weren’t even commit messages for commits in the public CVS repo, but thankfully that’s changed since some time after the switch to SVN.)

So coming from a random guy who has all but ceased being actively involved in this game in every way: if that developer forum still exists, making it public (even if read-only) would be a small step in the right direction.

BOY
    Participant

I will check and see if the developers are open to that idea. I don’t see any good reason why not.

apache64d
    Participant

BOY I do care about new commers. That is what I’m saying…
    Who cares how ppl play at the server AS LONG AS ppl play…let ppl play. Trust me, newbies are not dumb, they have thier free will and have brain.
    We do want that ppl will be at the server right? stop telling ppl “this is not allowed”..”this is now changed..” let them play man. So many things have been done in last years that made ppl leave the game…and it doesn’t look like the situations it changed..still unfortunately players (sadly old ones too) are leaving. Admins (BD for example) who supported some of the bad changes left too.
    Stop the none-stop changes BOY, it doesn’t make any good..don’t u see it? Overall, not few ppl are disappointed with the changes and dislike it.
    Most important, get back to how things where done and changes were made: post your suggestion at the admin forum FIRST. Stop make changes on your own!
    I know, you wanted to take actions. Admin actions. BUT still, there is a way to do it. ..NOT your way.
    There are so many good ideas on xtc post..most of what he wrote I think the same.

Thrax
    Participant

@parasti wrote:

@xtc wrote:

3. Keep things open.

I remember this being a problem for me when I first tried to submit patches. It
    seemed like there was this layer of secrecy and discretion surrounding the
    development of the game, with no clues on how a new contributor should
    proceed. I heard tales of a private developer forum which sounded like what I
    was looking for, but which I couldn’t even read to get an idea of the
    development process. (Hell, at the time there weren’t even commit messages
    for commits in the public CVS repo, but thankfully that’s changed since some
    time after the switch to SVN.)

So coming from a random guy who has all but ceased being actively involved in
    this game in every way: if that developer forum still exists, making it public
    (even if read-only) would be a small step in the right direction.

It isn’t a seperate Forum. Simply a selectively-visible area similar to the Admin Threads..

Since Gavin has the final say in every code suggestion, Write Access to the
    source-forge repository isn’t available to more than a select few.

The majority of posts in the Dev Threads are about suggestions, tests,
    results, and bugs. We consider every valid suggestion submitted in the
    [feature request & bugs] threads, and whatever else we come up with on
    the side. They are not kept Private for a sence of Secrecy, rather so that
    things can be discussed calmly without interruption. Planned Changes and
    replies to players suggestions are made in the public areas, but the details
    of ‘how’ aren’t.

Those of the Developers Group diddn’t just get chosen at random. We are
    long-term members who contributed ideas, reported errors, and proved we
    were level-headed enough to see the game as a whole instead of as 1 server.
    A basic understanding of code is also handy.

Start by going over what the game already has, what has been suggested,
    and whether the new ideas would be worthwhile. Test what is being worked
    on. Report what is not working, and what you think may be wrong. Also try
    more than just 1 point of view; something that has been added may never
    appear in the default mod or in a certian play-style method.
    If you contribute to the growth of the game and show you have more to
    offer, you may be Co-Developer material.
    However, like everything.. it’s up to Gavin.

parasti
    Participant

Thrax, my point is simple: there is a recognized lack of transparency, here’s a little thing you could do to reduce it. For proof that it is “recognized”, look no further than xtc’s wall of text. Making that forum public would help shrink the gap between developers and everyone else, where “everyone else” includes not only players and people who couldn’t program to save their lives, but also seasoned contributors like myself and potential/new contributors. (By “seasoned contributor” I mean I have submitted patches every now and then, but I have absolutely no desire of becoming an S3D developer. I have my own projects to look after.)

If you think that all non-developers will only serve as “interruption” to the real devs, make the forum read-only for everyone except that group. (I assume phpBB allows that.) If anything, seeing some development activity on the forum will serve as a reminder that this game is not dead.

But if that is indeed what you think, you have a problem and its analyzed in painful detail in xtc’s essay.

bazzz
    Participant

Expect your arguments to be denied, you are interrupting.

I am being cynical, yes.

Prove me wrong, please… someone.

ArmorWraith
    Participant

alas, i must agree with Thrax, the developer forums must be kept closed for many reasons:

1. it is a private “think tank” for the developers to quickly communicate with one another

2. it is probably better organized then the forums here to allow for easy access/reading

3. It may cloud players views, and lead to the idea that there would only be one way to solve a problem (when there is indeed infinite solutions) , better to post it in the feature requests forum. Variety of ideas.

4. What is to stop people from spamming the regular forums with gibberish from the dev forums, since its read only.

Hope this clears it up a bit.

Kanga #-o

Chopper
    Participant

“You can’t become a pro with being a new player first. It might seem fun for a few minutes as you get used to the game, but after being wholloped 15 to 2, to 1, to 3, to 0, shooting just missiles you realize, hey this game is not fun.”

Back in the day….I had to make 50 kills on a “beginners” server to even GET to the main server. I think that removing any kind of qualification to get to main removed the intrigue,desire and suspense of the game. One thing for sure…..you earned your way there and you were a better player for it. Sure you got your butt kicked some when you first got to main…….but it didn’t scare you off.

Any person values what he earns more than what is “given”.

Now that its open up to anyone that can make up a name and sign on you have green noobs that mix with skilled players who have to dumb down or risk offending and running them off. I’m sorry if you’re going to brew a mix like that the result is pretty clear. And I do welcome and try to coach….but thats best done on a starter server….think Mandy.She that very well.

It not only runs off the noobs….there is no steady supply of players who have accomplished the first level and are eager for more.

I’m not surprised that net,net…….there are fewer players.

Constant tinkering is not the answer, back to its roots is the answer.

Again I ask, what attracted each of you to the game.

Oh, and I very,very much appreciate Gavin and everything he has done for the game.

Donations anyone?

BOY
    Participant

apache: some of the setting changes you can be sure I will stand by, others are just change for change sake at this time.

Chopper: I think you have it man. the kill limit. I think it might make a comeback. 🙂

naka
    Participant

There is so much damage to the scorched community.

I personally lost interest to help scorched3d.co.uk since boy start attacking some of the admins not long ago. Both of them quited. The situation now is insane.

Codding only isnt enough. Far more important are the ppl, the gameplay and how the things are organised.
    If the gameplay suffer the program is rubbish. On the other hand there are many small projects (and with no so good graphics) that have good game play.

I started patching some of the source. Don’t forget this game is GPL-ed.

parasti
    Participant

@Kangabunny wrote:

alas, i must agree with Thrax, the developer forums must be kept closed for many reasons

To summarize, it must remain closed so that development of the game stays separate from the game’s community. When the game’s development being separate from its community is the ultimate problem and the reason for the existence of this thread, and to which you personally agree as being a problem. I hope you can see the paradox in this: problem X can be solved by Y, but we can’t do Y because we must preserve X, which is the problem.

I’ve been involved in a fair share of open source game-related projects, and have contributed to some of them. None of them have developers kept at a distance from the community. In fact, in some of them it’s hard to even draw a line between who is a “developer” and who is a “non-developer”, because almost everyone participates in brainstorming and contributes something, be it code or assets or testing. The more open the development process is, the more people will want to learn the skills to become involved in it. So even if you’re a douche and firmly believe that your own community is too stupid to contribute, an open development process is beneficial, as it fosters the intelligence of the community. Think about it.

Hyde911
    Participant

Developers have to have place when they can discuss without spam or meaningless Rommels posts. There is Development forum, there you can present your ideas. This game is not simple amateur project any more. It has become advanced and complex piece of software, and requires highly skilled programmers to run it.
    Besides, Developers Team has been doing great job so far, I don’t see any reason why shouldn’t trust them any more.

parasti
    Participant

Paradox. Look it up in a dictionary, Hyde.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 54 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.