This topic contains 6 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Deathstryker 10 years, 6 months ago.

• Author

doom
    Participant

why is there a limit of only 500 kbs on the file post thing?

I think It should be at LEAST 20 megs.

BOY
    Participant

the reason is that anyone and everyone can download the file, it is public. Imagine if someone posted a higly popular file of 20MB, that would seriously bog down the server. Why do you think that the game installer is hosted at sourceforge.net and not here? We don’t have enough resources to keep it downloading at a high rate and have a fast website too.

We do have a better server now, but I can’t see any need to increase attachment size really, 1MB would be the most I would think reasonable.

Another thing is the attached photos, an attached photo is automatically loaded by anyone viewing it who is logged in. If you want to load a photo larger than 500kb, use an external web page and put the url of the photo between and

Deathstryker
    Participant

It’s a 500k limit because this is not a file host. Simple as that. The forum’s main purpose is to be a community, therefore, it’s not generally required to have large file sizes.

Irishbandit
    Participant

@deathstryker wrote:

It’s a 500k limit because this is not a file host. Simple as that. The forum’s main purpose is to be a community, therefore, it’s not generally required to have large file sizes.

What DS said. 😉

doom
    Participant

well, at least make it 2 megs. I mean, 500 kilobytes is very small you have to admit that.

jdog
    Participant

2MB would still be a bandwidth sink and not worth it.

InductiveOne
    Participant

Im gonna have to agree on leaving it 500k. If its something much bigger use one of the many free web storage sites. If the link has to be more perm you might want to think about buying a little server space (or paying for one of the web storage accounts that lets you keep links for longer).

This forum doesn’t realy seem like a place meant to distro acual mods. Its pretty easy to find 50 megs of space somewhere to host things though.

Deathstryker
    Participant

If you really need quick upload space, you could just use rapidshare.com or use up-file.com

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.