This topic contains 8 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Acid22 9 years ago.

• Author

yusuf
    Participant

this is the illustration of moons path

Thrax
    Participant

Correct, the moon is rotating.
    It’s rotation is exactly timed to keep one face pointed at the earth constantly.
    It’s a very curious coincedance, but the universe is full of quirks like that.

When scientists and novelists talk of the ‘dark-side’ of the moon, it’s not
    exactly dark. It’s simply the face of the moon that is never seen from earth.

yusuf
    Participant

yes .. this was a reply to laptops statement ” the moon dosent rotate at all” .. i probably think he dint mean that though .. just wanted to make sure and keep things clear 🙂

well maybe the moon looks exactly the same from all sides? i mean, the kind of software and illustrative power we have today, its not hard to believe that the other side of the moon is just an illustration and not real ?

Thrax
    Participant

@yusuf wrote:

yes .. this was a reply to laptops statement ” the moon dosent rotate at all” ..
    i probably think he dint mean that though .. just wanted to make sure and keep
    things clear 🙂

well maybe the moon looks exactly the same from all sides? i mean, the kind of
    software and illustrative power we have today, its not hard to believe that the
    other side of the moon is just an illustration and not real ?

Or, that the Moon we have now is merely an elaborate Hologram, and that the
    americans spend the money on 4000$ staplers etc.. instead of really going to
    the moon.

yusuf
    Participant

yes very likely!

i mean, it was feasable for the US to go to the moon in 1960’s but its not now? i mean wtf? arnt they much more powerful and in a better state tan last time?

yusuf
    Participant

Jack the spammer! Jack the spammer!
    Administrators! Moderators! jack the spammer! jack the spammer!

Stil8
    Participant

Ignoring all that…

The one thing I am always wondering about is whether the moon will ever crash into the Earth and when this catastrophe will happen if it is possible…

FYI: The US government are too busy with WMD production and war to even notice that the moon still exists…

I hope Obama fixes this, but who knows what else Bush has up his sleeve (besides a swastika).

Rommel
    Participant

If it is a stable orbit, it will remain in a stable orbit unless the equilibrium is upset. Slowing the orbit speed would result in the moon eventually falling into Earth. For more on orbits, gravity and the laws of motion, I recommend Sir Isaac Newton.
    @Stil^^8 wrote:

Ignoring all that…

The one thing I am always wondering about is whether the moon will ever crash into the Earth and when this catastrophe will happen if it is possible…

FYI: The US government are too busy with WMD production and war to even notice that the moon still exists…

I hope Obama fixes this, but who knows what else Bush has up his sleeve (besides a swastika).

The following link should provide you with the information you require:

http://csep10.phys.utk.edu/astr161/lect/history/newtongrav.html

Rommel

Acid22
    Participant

The moon is slowly moving away from us a few centimetres per year. Can’t remember the exact figure.

yusuf
    Participant

yes it is .. perhaps moons just a big helium balloon that those guys are drifting away from us. 🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.