This topic contains 21 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  doom 10 years, 4 months ago.

• Author

doom
    Participant

I am recruiting people to help me with my demonic mod group project. all you have to do is post with info about your best area(modwise) and what you would want to work one. again, this is going to be a TEAM project. This means that there will be graphic artists, beta testers, AI makers, Weapon makers, Landscape makers, and me, the director. so post here if you want to be part of the best mod ever!

Members:
    Doom- Director, Tester, Minor Editor

Note: If it seems, that I am doing nothing and you are doing all of the work, remember, I’m the one who has to merge the code into one xml file. and that
    can be a pain when it comes to sub weapons.

doom
    Participant

someone please join, or this project will be cancelled

The AI
    Participant

edit

doom
    Participant

I have a super early pre alpha version. it uses inductive graphics, weapons, and landscapes combined with best of s3d. the weapons for the human team(ais) are pretty straight forward. they include missiles, guns, emp, etc.
    the demon teams weapons are my main focus. they include stolen warfare, spells, and modified warfare.

the landscapes aren’t really started yet, just renamed.

the AIs are untested, and renamed.

and the tanks are just sorted into Humans, Demons, and both.

my goals for the mod is to create a mod with a storyline, Unique weapons for each team, a unique weapon for each tank type, Landscapes that represent both areas of humans and areas of Demons, AIs that behave like several classes of the military (and a few made up ones), one weapon from each of the popular mods.

so In order for us to get this done, I need this to be a group project.
    I am the director, tester, and minor error corrector.

so, do you want to join, you can do which ever job you want. (except tester)

Thrax
    Participant

From the last sample you displayed on the forums, it was still
    nonfunctional.

Have you progressed at all from there, or are you stalemated
    with the errors in it.

edit:
    i’ve looked at the sample, found most of the critical errors and cleaned
    them up a bit. if you wish to have a fully functional copy of your mod, i
    will pack it up and give you the link.

doom
    Participant

sure! 😀 I guess I forgot a few errors.

by the way, I still don’t have any confirmed joins, remember to post a reply stating that you will join and list one of the jobs that you would like to do.

Thrax
    Participant

here..

ftp://advguild.myftp.org:48/data/demonic.s3m

it’s now fully ‘functional’.. but still needs a lot of cleanup.
    there’s about 15-20 mb of unused files in it.

i would suggest you start looking at how it’s built and learning.
    Expecting everyone to join and do the work for you, is not going to
    get your mod built.
    Only time, practice and effort will do that..

doom
    Participant

do you even READ my posts?! I’ve explained several times, in several topics,
    that I can’t do this on my own. are you TRYING to ruin my modding dreams.

I’ll answer that for you, yes.

Deathstryker
    Participant

@doom wrote:

do you even READ my posts?! I’ve explained several times, in several topics,
    that I can’t do this on my own. are you TRYING to ruin my modding dreams.

I’ll answer that for you, yes.

Give the guy a break. He’s helping you with your mod, you know.

doom
    Participant

yes I know, but I have very little time to do a mod on my own. now if anyone wants to see this mod in action, you will need to help me out. (not directed 2 thrax)

Brain Damage
    Participant

i would like to make a critical analisis of this project, it’s not meant to be rude, but an occasion for you to learn and improve it; excuse me if i’ll confuse my personal view for general-audience opinions, but i think that for some way of thinking can be widely shared among people.

1: what you have to offer for someone helping you out?

in real world, people do get paid to do the tasks that are requied to create a game/mod/whatever, here the modders have started theyr own project and work them for free, in theyr spare time. you are asking them to use addictional time to spend working on a mod for you, with what payback?

the personal satisfaction of helping someone, making him happy is a noble thing, but for most of the people is not a strong enought reason to work for you (instead perhaps?), they’d rather make theyr own mod(s) wich they can personally design according to theyr tastes and not to yours, to achive the satisfaction of making a nice mod.

unless you find someone wich share your project ideas, it will be hard to find someone to just join your project and do the work for you, althought, it will more likely to happend for someone to see your project (once you already started yourself and reach a good point in development) and want to contribute in a small/large part, to make a nice thing to look nicer

2: to be a project leader, you have to show a leader’s qualities

a project’s leader must have a good general knowledge of the nature of the work requied to develop the project; if you forgive this “streched definition”, a good leader should be able to do (or at least know how to) each task made by his team members; by your admission, your scripting skills aren’t good (wich are a major task when creating mods)

i would suggest you improving your modding skills by trial & error; copy & paste doesn’t really let you understand the principle behind stuff( expecially when it’s about “complicated”, long codes); start by reading the “no mod” code, and then do NOT change just values, change tags, add or remove them and see the results of your work.

if something doesn’t work the way you wanted, first check your own code!!, undo the changes and see what change caused the problem and learn from it,
    as addictional resource use the docs, read them and try to figure yourself a solution
    only AS LAST RESORT, ask for help, people “usually” are willing to help, with the condition that you will have to provide them EXTENSIVE INFORMATIONS about what issue you have, what you want to achive and use all good manners you can as in they are helping you because they feel like it, not just because you need it; asking something multiple times, ignoring an answer, or simply answering bad to someone who tried to help you, will give bad repuation and generate grief towards you, resulting in a stop of help and possible bad answer (this has happened many times already..)

3: after the past griefs, people might not want to have much to do with you

pretty explanatory, time heals soul’s wounds, unless re-opened, you committed the same mistakes repeatly (althought i have to admit we all share our piece of fault in this), don’t pretend to flip a switch and have everything forgotten, even if answers can have civil tones, people might not be willing to help again after past experience or justbecause of a personal dislike; GIVE IT TIME! and try at least your side to not commit the same mistakes or nothing will ever change

i think that’s it for the moment, i hope you’ll read what i wrote and learn something from it
    perhaps use the time to learn xml code as i suggested before

doom
    Participant

1. well, I never thought about the offer in return thing. leme think…

well

1. they get to see the end result when beta testing is going on

2. they will recieve a concept screenshot of my scorched like game that I will make

3. I am open to any suggestions regarding the mod

4. credit

2. I know what the xml script looks like and how to change existing code, just not create new stuff.

I can create graphics, sounds, and direct projects.
    I just don’t do the first two very well.

3. I am sorry I’ve been so rude in the past, please forgive me everyone. I am working on my rudeness and when to recognize it. and about the personal dislike thing, that’s just prejudiced.

cbx550f
    Participant

@doom wrote:

3. I am sorry I’ve been so rude in the past, please forgive me everyone. I am working on my rudeness and when to recognize it.

I think a few of us could use to work on our rudeness, and more importantly, as you mentioned, when to recognize it.

Wise words, Doom, and I’m glad to hear them. Good advice for all of us.

Cheers.

cbx

.–.ShoCkwaVe.–.
    Participant

my thoughts exactly and i agree with cbx..

been watching a few of you always taunting & critisizing this doom..
    for no aparent reason.. other then he is obviously interested in scorched
    enough to want to mod & share his own creations..
    and needs help doing so..

and during the frustration of his learning process trying to get
    some help..

all I see is people nit picking at things he writes..

cold & cruel guys..

Doom I suggest you seek better friends.. and completely ignore
    those who arent.

find yourself a good enough friend who can teach you the basics
    to the point where you can handle things on your own.

I seem to remember a time when I was in your seat..
    wanting to learn how to mod in such a great game..
    and not knowing where to look..

and met robert aka bobirov on his apoc server..

he helped me alot in learning the basics about syntax for scorched
    that no one @ that time was willing or knew how to teach even though
    syntax back then was alot simpler to learn and had fewer tags & features.

ofcourse I had to give something to receive something so I would
    make & give him (3d models <—*anything*) he asked for
    in return for him spending the time he did in helping me learn.

he even helped develope, release, and host
    my first mod.. shockmod v1.0 aka my learning stage mod 🙂

my point is.. find someone who has the time to walk you threw basics..
    without further discouraging you more..

I would but I *honestly* dont have that kind of time @ the moment..

anyone willing to speak up & volunteer?

doom
    Participant

@.-*-.ShoCkwaVe.-*-. wrote:

been watching a few of you always taunting & critisizing this doom..
    for no aparent reason.. other then he is obviously interested in scorched
    enough to want to mod & share his own creations..
    and needs help doing so..

and during the frustration of his learning process trying to get
    some help..

all I see is people nit picking at things he writes..

cold & cruel guys..

PRAISE YOU! 😀

I quoted this so you guys can read it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.