This topic contains 6 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  PeanutsRevenge 2 years, 4 months ago.

• Author

Spectrum
    Participant

SO I know that this game can be used on Linux, windows, and Mac systems. Can it be used on newer Windows 8.1 phones and tablets also?
    Also I’ve no clue if this is possible from programming angle or not, but can this game be adapted to Android or iOS systems?

PeanutsRevenge
    Participant

Armour … we have a spy it would seem.
    Kill it, kill with furious fire and ungodly wrath!

ArmorWraith
    Participant

Kill a phoenix with fire??

He’s already reduced to ashes.. what more do you want from me?

Armor

PeanutsRevenge
    Participant

@armorwraith wrote:

Armor

****!

Spectrum
    Participant

@peanutsrevenge wrote:

@armorwraith wrote:

Armor

****!

Jokes aside guys, I’ve loved this game since I found it on pc back in v37, but if this can be done it might help this game take on second life. Just like a phoenix rising from its own ashes.

PeanutsRevenge
    Participant

I doubt he’ll have a problem with me saying this (if so you’re welcome to delete this or ask me to remove/edit Bunny)…

We’d spoken briefly in game about this. AW was saying about porting the game to other platforms and using kickstarter (or similar) to fund it, hence, my amusement at your suggestion, being so close to what was spoken about 🙂

I can’t imagine such an endeavor would be successful at present due to an insufficient number of voices to spread the word wide or fast enough. If we still had the numbers from the v40-v42 days, sure, but unless we have a really loud voice in our dwindled community, it would be a waste of time.

I’d like to see it happen, if only so I can log in and chat with friends on my phone while out and about and watch them funk all over eachothers faces (or better still, over their own face due to a funky death).

I know Gavin’s been working on a new engine for a while, it may be possibly to port it to mobile platforms and have cross-platform play, I don’t know. What I do know is that there’s little motivation for the dude to take time out of his own life to put into a project that’s not been appreciated by many for some time, which has the added downside that there’s going to be less donations as well (I know I’ve not donated in some time because I’m #poorpeople).

Mobile may be one of the areas where this style of game could find a reasonable following due to the ability to retain full control without K/M or controller. On PC/console, I’m unsure as it’s so niche and there’s a vast array o other awesome games.

TBH, I only really come back here because my rose-tinted spectacles creep back over my eyes now and again, plus it’s nice to play a game I’m considered ‘good’ at by my peers and being honoured with the title of ‘oldie’ occasionally. The game itself has always been secondary after the first few weeks (the underside of Mandy’s wing was really cozy (the back of her hand however, really stings!))

‘IF’ it were to happen, that the game’s ported to mobile, we would need to reestablish the kill-wall for playing on ‘main’ as there aren’t many who play any longer who have the patience to support new players, usually preferring instead to take advantage of the skill difference to make themselves feel big and clever, which tends to drive away more players than it encourages in my experience.

It warms me however that there are still people wanting to see this game/community regain at least some of it’s previous player count. There have been many bit and bobs done here and there over time by those who have freely given their time, effort and skillset in (mostly) selfless acts of kindness. Keeps me from giving up on this shitty world we currently endure by keeping the candle of hope for humanity flickering away.

Spectrum
    Participant

Sso basically, without money or support, it’s pointless to port?

I get that I really do. I know what you mean on the donate part also, with a family and being a farmer hard for me to give back also.
    Its a shame that all the ‘old’ players have left. They were what made this game fun.

ArmorWraith
    Participant

Everyone I have ever shown S3D to has thought it was an awesome game, however the controls and hardware hold them back. PC gaming, though on the rise, is still a very niche market compared to consoles and mobiles. That’s just the reality of today’s consumer market.

If we want to seriously compete, and I mean making dreams become reality, we need to invest in those markets.

When I play a game, I always sit down and ponder what it could be, even AAA titles. Nothing has brought me more satisfaction than imagining the possibilities of a re-done scorched earth.

The next step was to ponder what would it require?

– Need a centralized communication and social system (steam,battlelog)

– Need to harness next gen graphics technology, and variable level of detail across multi platforms (mobiles,consoles,pcs)

– Need an art direction, marketing scheme, and financial backing

– Need a dedicated development team

Deep down I know the mother of all games has amazing potential, its play style, addictive qualities, history, and atmosphere all lend to that. It is an under represented game genre in the market, and I believe it could be a winner if people could invest the resources.

I suppose what I am saying is that I recognize the potential and I agree with everything said so far.

Recently I have been privately musing to myself about starting a kickstarter campaign showcasing the current iteration of s3d as sort of a base-work or demo of what it could be with next gen graphics. If it gained attention it would increase the activity here, and allow us to hire talent and potentially make our vision come to life. Its just a musing for now of course, nothing serious.

I do miss the excitement this place once carried. It was a fountain of humor, wisdom, and humility. It would be awesome to share that with the world at large.

Armor

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.