This topic contains 3 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Irishbandit 10 years, 4 months ago.

• Author

Lentil
    Participant

I found links to the thread about what people were using to play the game (although this was rather old) and a Minimum and Recommended list for playing. However, these both seemed to be for the client side and not for the server.

Is there a minimum recommendation for the server application? Alternately, if someone could give a decent idea of what processing is done on the server vs. what is done on the client, I may be able to judge for myself.

For example, it seems unlikely that the graphics card for the server matters, but if the server is doing all of the trajectory math, then a fast processor may be required. I’m hoping to use a beat-down old PC running Linux to host a server (so I can leave it up all of the time) rather than run the client and the server on my PC.

cbx550f
    Participant

The requirements for the server are WAY lower than for the client.

I’m not sure “how low you can go” – But I know I made measurements on a machine of mine a while back, and with over 16 people playing, the CPU usage never went over about 5%, as I recall (and usually virtually zero). That was a fairly quick machine, but I would guess that you should be able to run more than fine on a 500MHz machine. (I actually guess that it could be much slower, just playing it safe) 😉

Keep in mind, the client has to do pretty much everything the server does, plus render the graphics and sound etc.

Brain Damage
    Participant

i didn’t really cheched how much cpu load it did take, but i do have an headless server (PIII 550 MHz with 128 Mb ram) and runs smoothly

linuxfragger
    Participant

Define headless if you would.

What I would like to know is can the server be run without a GUI? Ideally I’d like to be able to run it on my fileserver which is not only headless but no ‘X’.

Irishbandit
    Participant

@linuxfragger wrote:

Define headless if you would.

What I would like to know is can the server be run without a GUI? Ideally I’d like to be able to run it on my fileserver which is not only headless but no ‘X’.

Yes in new release see this post
    http://www.scorched3d.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3149

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.