This topic contains 7 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Stil8 8 years, 10 months ago.

• Author

Stil8
    Participant

Ok, I am making my first ‘test tank’ in MilkShape 3D 1.8.4 and I have 3 materials taking graphics from 128x128x24b bitmaps. Anyways, every time I click on one of them, the opacity value of the other 2 decreases with 1 step back…even tho it does not really affect the tank in the program, when I export it to txt and test it, the change is significant in s3d (it’s transparent)…
    Since I got MS3d today, I don’t know much about it.

Anything I can do in MS3d, or in the txt file with notepad?

If it’s a bug in MS3d then perhaps I can change these values with notepad (just tell me which ones they are…):

%the materials for the turret (which of these values are the opacity?)
    "Turret"
    0.200000 0.200000 0.200000 1.000000
    0.800000 0.800000 0.800000 1.000000
    0.000000 0.000000 0.000000 1.000000
    ".pyr.bmp"
    ".pyr.bmp"

Rommel
    Participant

Manual manipulation eh?

Outstanding!

@Stil^^8 wrote:

Ok, I am making my first ‘test tank’ in MilkShape 3D 1.8.4 and I have 3 materials taking graphics from 128x128x24b bitmaps. Anyways, every time I click on one of them, the opacity value of the other 2 decreases with 1 step back…even tho it does not really affect the tank in the program, when I export it to txt and test it, the change is significant in s3d (it’s transparent)…
    Since I got MS3d today, I don’t know much about it.

Anything I can do in MS3d, or in the txt file with notepad?

If it’s a bug in MS3d then perhaps I can change these values with notepad (just tell me which ones they are…):

%the materials for the turret (which of these values are the opacity?)
    "Turret"
    ".pyr.bmp"
    ".pyr.bmp"

Try this:

Please let me know if that worked.

Thanks,

Rommel

Stil8
    Participant

@rommel wrote:

Manual manipulation eh?

Well, I kinda like doing things manually…That would explain my interest in OSs like DOS.

I’ll let you know, but I am dealing with another weird thing that has nothing to do with s3d…

I am not so sure this will fix it, ’cause I made another tank, and it works perfectly: (all you need is ‘sphere map’ activated in the compatibility settings for best look…)
    I think the problem was that I hadn’t welded the vertexes…

And since we were talking about DOS,who remembers this? 😀

Rommel
    Participant

I had a material problem a while back and thought the same thing about the welding of the vertices. That wasn’t my problem.

I tried making the same model with welded vertices and obtained the same result.

If you are still having an issue with the transparancy, let me know.

I have a tunnel model that is hand built that used transparancy. I can dig it out of the archives if the previous suggestion doesn’t solve the problem.

Best wishes,

Rommel

P.S. DOS? Which version? MS-DOS or IBM-DOS?
    “How the hell do you know how to do all that?”

Stil8
    Participant

@rommel wrote:

I had a material problem a while back and thought the same thing about the welding of the vertices. That wasn’t my problem.

I tried making the same model with welded vertices and obtained the same result.

If you are still having an issue with the transparancy, let me know.

I have a tunnel model that is hand built that used transparancy. I can dig it out of the archives if the previous suggestion doesn’t solve the problem.

Best wishes,

Rommel

P.S. DOS? Which version? MS-DOS or IBM-DOS?
    “How the hell do you know how to do all that?”

Thanks for the help, but I am slowly heading away from that tank model with the transparency problem… I am already on my second tank and that tank also has no transparency issues just as the digger shouldn’t (they all behave differently) I am using sphere map based materials and I don’t think SiS m760gx
    gfx cards support that; do they? …

I am using an old laptop which a friend left here while she went to Europe since my desktop is in the middle of a virus scan and any part of the tank models that is sphere map doesn’t work, even with the ‘no sphere map’ box unchecked; but on my desktop they show perfectly.
    Tell me if the digger does not appear in your s3d as it does in the pic…

Off-Topic:
    I had MS DOS 7.10, but switched to FreeDOS as it has more capabilities (on the Toshiba 430cdt I fixed)!

Laptops Daddy
    Participant

hi,

i almost replied before, but then didnt.

transparency problem: i think the second reference to your texture is marking it as an alpha transparency map. remove the second reference.

texture mapping… where to start? ignore the game settings, they dont affect model texture mapping. you need to do some googling. try ‘texture mapping’ ‘planar mapping’ and ‘uv coordinate mapping’.

i could probably help you, but im afraid at this stage, id only confuse you further.

Stil8
    Participant

@laptops Daddy wrote:

hi,

i almost replied before, but then didnt.

transparency problem: i think the second reference to your texture is marking it as an alpha transparency map. remove the second reference.

texture mapping… where to start? ignore the game settings, they dont affect model texture mapping. you need to do some googling. try ‘texture mapping’ ‘planar mapping’ and ‘uv coordinate mapping’.

i could probably help you, but im afraid at this stage, id only confuse you further.

Well, you could try… If I do think it gets confusing, then I can still go back
    and learn on my own.
    BTW: By reference, do you mean line?

Plus I have already made a few test tanks and none of them have transparency issues. As for welding being my issue, it might have been…No transparency issues since I got into the habit of welding and subdividing (when I see problems)… Although, I don’t know how, but once I accidentally disabled transparency in the program itself…I tried sliding the bar, but the preview sphere would just go gray… Didn’t happen again.

P.S. You can download digger.zip (see my first post) and see if the model has any problems,even tho it does not use any external textures. (on my PC it looks perfect, but I don’t know if it will appear the same way with different gfx cards and PCs…)

Laptops Daddy
    Participant

k. ill try a little bit. i suppose first, you need to know that texture mapping in this context has nothing to do with the graphics card you play the game on. all that stuff is part of the model. you mentioned sphere mapping. milkshape only supports planar mapping (thats one of the main reasons it sucks).

if you want to do anything serious with scorched models, you need to use something other than milkshape. its best i dont go into blender/3ds max/obj exports, texture painting, whatever. some of that stuff has a pretty steep learning curve. could be off-putting.

but, dont be put off by milkshapes lack of function. world is your oyster etc : )

Stil8
    Participant

@laptops Daddy wrote:

k. ill try a little bit. i suppose first, you need to know that texture mapping in this context has nothing to do with the graphics card you play the game on.

Well then explain to me how the red body of the digger appears normal on the desktop PC where I made it, but it is grayed out on the laptop, which is I think the same age… (in the game)

I tried blender…but it is a bit complex and will take a much longer time to learn…
    I say I have to start small and learn my way to the top..,
    I also have 3d max, but its installer was corrupted by a virus a long time ago. 🙁

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.