This topic contains 28 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  cbx550f 10 years, 9 months ago.

• Author

Outlaw
    Participant

Just downloaded Scorched3D v40.1d. During the install Microsoft Defender warns me that it has detected Hotbar, which is extremely dangerous Adware and ask me what to do. 😕 Why is Defender warning about Hotbar? Is nasty Adware part of the install program?

apache64d
    Participant

No way…
    U downloaded it from here or from other website??
    I downloaded the game from here and I have Adaware too and it didn’t say anything about the Hotbar (or anything at all)….
    Any1 else got it too??

Outlaw
    Participant

I am always sceptical about downloads, so before downloading it I researched the heck out of the program… and then downloaded directly from here (or at least a link from here).

BTW… ZoneAlarm scans the downloaded executable and finds nothing. It is just during the install that MS Defender pops up a box and lets me know that it thinks it found Hotbar Adware.

Outlaw
    Participant

I just repeated what I did previously, and re-downloaded the file. From here (i.e., this site) I am sent to:

http://sourceforge.net

with the following link:

http://sourceforge.net/project/downloading.php?groupname=scorched3d&filename=Scorched3D-40.1d.exe&use_mirror=easynews

When I tried the install AGAIN with the file (Windows version) I just downloaded AGAIN, I got the same message from Microsoft Defender (BTW… I see this on both my Desktop and Laptop). I get a BOX that opens titled “Windows Defender Warning” which in first box below reads “! Review harmful or potentially unwanted software.” Below that it says: “Windows Defender detected programs that you might not want to run. Understanding alert levels.” Below that for NAME “Hotbar” and Alert Level “Medium.”

Scares the heck out of me. But then I am pretty cautious. I wouldn’t be too surprised if this is Bill Gates fault, but until I am sure I am affraid to complete the install.

cbx550f
    Participant

Having got the file from sourceforge, I can assure you that Windows Defender is giving you a false positive on “Hotbar”.

Gavin, it might be a good idea to fill out the form at http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/isv/fpform.aspx

It must be pretty common – it only took me about 10 seconds to find this form. 😉

cbx

Outlaw
    Participant

A Microsoft Defender so-called “false positive” is what I thought this probably is. Especially since the reviews for this program are great… and it is all over (i.e., many different download sites). Have you or anyone else confirmed the false positive during windows installs with the latest MS Defender up and running/guarding?

I know my two WinXP SP2 machines are reacting this way, but I have to wonder whether this install program issue is happening to EVERYONE running MS Defender. On Google I only saw two (2) instances of people reporting the problem/issue.

Irishbandit
    Participant

May have something to do with the one part in the registry that is edited by the scorched3d install as well. I am not on windows any more so i can not remember what that edit was.

SHACK
    Participant

I have MS Defender and running on XP also and have never gotten this message.

imported_gcamp
    Participant

@cbx550f wrote:

Gavin, it might be a good idea to fill out the form at http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/isv/fpform.aspx

It must be pretty common – it only took me about 10 seconds to find this form. 😉

Thanks I’ll fill it in.

evolution2001
    Participant

I downloaded the 39 -> 40 update from sourceforge
    http://sourceforge.net/project/downloading.php?groupname=scorched3d&filename=Scorched3D-39to40.1d-patch.exe&use_mirror=umn

…and got the same notification

I’m going to go ahead and let the install run. I’ll then rescan my system and report back what it finds.
    I’m running XP Pro SP2 with the latest MS-Defender engine & defs.

Faded_Mantis
    Participant

Hey guys, I was getting the same error, Win XP home SP2, latest definition of Win Defender.

let us know how it goes Evolution.

BOY
    Participant

moving to help and troubleshooting section….

Deathstryker
    Participant

Made a news post on this so people visiting the front page know where to go about this. It seems fairly common.

BOY
    Participant

Nice idea!

evolution2001
    Participant

Everything seems to be on the up & up.
    I ran a scan from housecall.trendmicro.com and nothing came up there either.
    I didn’t submit anything to MS (re: the link above).
    It looks like Defender is simply giving a false-positive. It happens…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.