This topic contains 46 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Viking62 9 years ago.

• Author

NAKED STONER
    Participant

You go McCain!

Viking62
    Participant

Speaking for myself….. I am at a bit of a loss as to who to vote in for the next President of the U.S.A.. I have seen em all stumble & flip-flop (current candidates). It has long been a money & wits game driven by political agendas.
    –Something to ponder over-A new President we will have-A 5 year Bill must be followed also–If passed, this will be foremost…No matter what they promise us.

We The People. . . .Re:Bail Out
    (Bail out bill:HR 1424)
    Of the 400+ pages of this Bail Out Bill;100+ pages of it aim at the recent U.S.A.economic crisis. The other few hundred pages are bloated legislation riding piggyback through the senate & the house. All of most of what I see elsewhere on the web is: It is your teams fault (Dems/Republicans)….. This is’nt a darned sports contest(ie:Football,Baseball,etc.). Not to mention the left/right wing arguments. Remember the old adage–> “United we stand/divided we fall”? The mainstream media & others have taught us (yes taught!) to be at odds against each other and not unite together as one (We the people). If you do not like how things are going in the U.S.–We still have a voice!! The internet & your cell phones are mighty tools-Use them! Many have called their Congressman and used other avenues to voice their opinion over recent events-Re:Bail Out Bill. If “WE” do not do something soon–>You will have much more to argue about……For years to come!! Another thought:We were never supposed to survive (individually and as a Nation) on credit alone…..the media and government set that trap also(credit point system=Bah!)–A man/woman in debt is a slave to the system!! When you can no longer pay….you end up ruined and cast aside by our government….and worse yet….left homeless,hungry,no health care…eventually, no job.
    In retrospect-Save $$ to buy things(People used to do that) & let your opinions be heard where it matters the most!! This is “Our” government/At least for now………
    Peace/out…..

Here is a link to the bill (HR 1424)/Amended/Recomposed from (HR 3997 from 2007)

http://lawprofessors.typepad.com/law…f-senates.html

“A mind is a terrible thing to waste” This was a great slogan in its day–I think it applies today also
    Better informed=Better equipped

http://www.opencongress.org/bill/110-h3997/show

Deathbal
    Participant

I won’t lie, I’m in the tank for McCain/Palin. But I do not like this bill and I doubt it will even get to a vote. If it does, it will probably fail.

There is so much blame to go around so I won’t even waste the time. But the main culprit, the primary reason things went to hell in a handbasket is, in my opinion, the “Community Reinvestment Act” or CRA. Anyone can look it up. It needs to be abolished.

The CRA in and of itself is not the only cause. But it was the primary factor in the perfect storm. The housing boom that we enjoyed ended like they always do. In fact, the CRA was a big part of the boom loading it with thousands of sub prime loans. Loans that should never have been given out, but had to be due to the CRA. But this was ok, or so they felt, because even if these people couldn’t pay their loan off in a few years, they could always sell it at a higher price. But the boom ended. And it ended 10-20% over market value. The perfect storm.

Like I said. I am against this bill but I am more against the CRA.

This is the perfect example why most large social programs will not work in the USA. At least not Federally. Forget national healthcare. It may work fine in other countries, but no way it works here in the US, not with the idiots we have in Washington. This is why I always fall back on States rights. Let the states decide what they want to do.

Rommel
    Participant

@deathbal wrote:

I won’t lie, I’m in the tank for McCain/Palin.

No comment. Simply ensuring that this post lives long enough for the bots find it and get it into the search engines.

Viking62
    Participant

The “Bill” passed…. After much of:The sky is falling-The sky is falling, by our Government upper echelon. Now, the stock market is still in the red…. & fuel prices are still going down. I have to laugh…. The same Senators & Representatives that voted this recent Bill through are now staring at each other in disbelief. 😯
    We are now being told: We are in for a long hard road ahead…….. “Cough”…..(looks like)Someone took our $$ and ran away with it–>Imagine that!! Did we maybe just fund a extended Bush & cronies retirement fund? Time will tell–I dont usually play the political game. But, this really ticks me off!

A few links to ponder things for yourself

http://www.washingtonwatch.com/bills/greatest_cost/

http://wordpress.com/tag/emergency-economic-stabilization-act-of-2008/

& BTW: The sky is still falling

I will try to refrain from any further rantings…..

Viking62
    Participant

A copy/paste from Bloomberg:
    Will taxpayers lose or make money on this deal?

The assets the Treasury purchases could increase in value, allowing the government to sell them later at a profit. In addition, in return for buying the impaired investments, the Treasury will receive warrants, or contracts allowing it to purchase shares in participating companies at a preset price. If those companies’ stocks rise, taxpayers could benefit.

The non-partisan Congressional Budget Office estimated the net cost of the plan will be “substantially less than $700 billion but is more likely than not to be greater than zero.”

If, in five years, taxpayers have lost money, the president will have to submit legislation — most likely some kind of fee on financial institutions — to recoup losses.
    http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601213&sid=aoLdh.TSHXqs&refer=home

Looks like us Americans are not the only people in a financial crunch 🙁
    http://www.bloomberg.com/index_americas.html

PeanutsRevenge
    Participant

I believe the Bail out was a very necessary evil, although the banks should never have gotten themselves into the position that they have, they simply cannot continue down the path they have been on or all hell WILL break loose.

I simply hope this is a wake up call to all people around the world (it is not just America in this position) whether it is those giving loans, taking loans or writing the rules governing loans, so that such a situation does not re-occur.

And for the record, I am in Obamas camp and have been for quite some time.

Also, I wish to point out to people voting:

Do you REALLY want Palin as President?
    It could easily happen with McCains age and health!

Deathbal
    Participant

@peanutsrevenge wrote:

I understand your concern. But for me, as a conservative, I don’t get the luxury of hoping someone lives so the inexperienced candidate does not take office. Because Obama is at the top of the Democratic ticket. There are litterally hundreds of more qualified candidates in Washington.

But our elections are not about qualifications i’m sad to say. They’re about charisma and popularity. Unless of course a woman is on the ticket, then it’s about experience, because no way do they question an active Governors experience if it were a man. That’s politics in the United States.

Viking62
    Participant

Great Point Deathbal…. =D>

Rommel
    Participant

I guess it was over my head.@viking62 wrote:

Great Point Deathbal…. =D>

Viking62
    Participant

@deathbal wrote:

@peanutsrevenge wrote:

I understand your concern. But for me, as a conservative, I don’t get the luxury of hoping someone lives so the inexperienced candidate does not take office. Because Obama is at the top of the Democratic ticket. There are litterally hundreds of more qualified candidates in Washington.

But our elections are not about qualifications i’m sad to say. They’re about charisma and popularity. Unless of course a woman is on the ticket, then it’s about experience, because no way do they question an active Governors experience if it were a man. That’s politics in the United States.

Viking62
    Participant

Does this sound even a little familiar?

Millionaires were created instantly. Soon stock market trading became America’s favorite pastime as investors jockeyed to make a quick killing. Investors mortgaged their homes, and foolishly invested their life savings (Could be 401k retirements today) in hot stocks, such as Ford and RCA. To the average investor, stocks were a sure thing. Few people actually studied the fundamentals of the companies they invested in.

The actual Story

Stock Market Crash of 1929
    The 1920’s were a time of peace and great prosperity. After World War I, the “Roaring Twenties” was fueled by increased industrialization and new technologies, such as the radio and the automobile. Air flight was also becoming widespread, as well. The economy benefited greatly from the new life changing technologies.

Stock Market Crash of 1929 Chart As the Dow Jones Industrial Average soared, many investors quickly snapped up shares. Stocks were seen as extremely safe by most economists, due to the powerful economic boom. Investors soon purchased stock on margin. Margin is the borrowing of stock for the purpose of getting more leverage. For every dollar invested, a margin user would borrow 9 dollars worth of stock. Because of this leverage, if a stock went up 1%, the investor would make 10%! This also works the other way around, exaggerating even minor losses. If a stock drops too much, a margin holder could lose all of their money AND owe their broker money as well.

From 1921 to 1929, the Dow Jones rocketed from 60 to 400! Millionaires were created instantly. Soon stock market trading became America’s favorite pastime as investors jockeyed to make a quick killing. Investors mortgaged their homes, and foolishly invested their life savings in hot stocks, such as Ford and RCA. To the average investor, stocks were a sure thing. Few people actually studied the fundamentals of the companies they invested in. Thousands of fraudulent companies were formed to hoodwink unsavvy investors. Most investors never even thought a crash was possible. To them, the stock market “always went up”.

PeanutsRevenge
    Participant

This will sound very harsh to alot of people but….

People like that deserve to lose everything, if you put your whole life into something, check its valid first.

This is how human evolution is continuing, I doubt we will change much physically because we are changing the world around us, to suit how we are.
    However, we will slowly eek out the idiotic genes from our pool, what’s holding us back is this stupid ‘nanny state’ we live in, where the clever are taken advantage of to look after the stupid.

There are people I know that have taken out a mortgage 7 times over their annual wage, they’ll suffer for it and lose damn near everything, they were told and told but did not listen.
    So.

Goodbye idiots, I call some of you friends, but when you don’t listen you deserve all you get!

Deathbal
    Participant

The USA is a big country with 50 states. 50 individual states. I’m a big states rights person. I don’t like it when the federal government gets too big and Bush, im sad to say, has inflated it, and along with an inflated government comes big spending. Another failure on his part, he is a spendaholic.

I’m concerned about the economy. Concerned about what viking said in his last post. But we really need to find out exactly what caused it and not just say, Bush is in office, it’s his fault”.

Bush did not create the CRA in 1977. Bush did not edit the CRA in 1995. Bush did not push for more lending to those that could not afford housing, ACORN did. The CRA is the cancer in our market and it has to be abolished.

A lot of people complain about jobs leaving the country. So how in the world do we keep them here by raising their taxes? Instead of playing class warfare and bringing up how much more money a big business has, or how much profit they made, why not figure out how to keep them in the US? God forbid a Republican brings up cutting taxes for a corperation, then all you hear is how much wider the gap is getting between the haves and have nots. So tax them more. Tax them right out of the country.

Let me tell you something. I’d rather the company I work for be filthy rich, so rich they bleed money, than to be on the unemployment line just to spite them.

Big government spending has to stop. And draconian taxes on big business cannot be allowed to happen or we will continue to see them leave the country. And everything the Democrats have said they will do will lead to the exact opposite. I’m not even sure McCain can do it either since he has a Congress to deal with. If you think we spend a lot now, wait until a Democratic President gets in, along with a democratic house and senate.

bazzz
    Participant

Blaiming others dont take away your own blame ,calling others stupid doesnt excuse you from your own .

Please disagree.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 48 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.