This topic contains 3 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Shotzo 10 years, 10 months ago.

• Author

Laptops Daddy
    Participant

I’m not sure if this has come up before, but is it possible to make a change to the max. number of players thing?

Could you make it so that if someone tries to join and the server is full, they join as a spectator?

I can think of a few good reasons for imposing a limit, but I can’t think of any that apply to spectators.

Also (related), I think it would be nice to have the option of switching to spectator mode. (I’m sure this will have come up before). Say you need to make a cup of tea or something. It would be cool if you could quickly become a spectator for a round or two.

Shotzo
    Participant

I’d like to add to this idea:

Let’s make them observers and not spectators; so the server can differentiate between the two, and if necessary impose a max. limit (To prevent DDoS attacks and the like; after all it IS open source.)

Willis
    Participant

If I recal from prior discussions, lemmi see if I can answer the first one:

1) The cap setting of 12 is not in place for the sake of players, but for the sake of amount of people.

Regardless if their playing or merely spectating, the data of shots being fired and what-not still needs to be transfered about. And adding more people only adds to that bandwidth.

2) This one.. I knew there was a logical response but.. I just cannot recal it. Personally I wouldn’t mind it being considered .. but there would need to be some sort of draw-back.

Maybe:

* No interest on any round while in this mode.
    * Switch must be performed when dead. CANNOT be alive.
    * Cannot return to a “player” status until the next round. *aka you WILL miss the next round*

All three of those would make the decision of getting up and leaving, more important to decide. Avoiding the come-and-go as you please senerio.

And lastly:

* If still in this mode upon the end of the game –round 10 for official servers– player is disconnected before start of next game*

Laptops Daddy
    Participant

@willis wrote:

Regardless if theyre playing or merely spectating, the data of shots being fired and what-not still needs to be transfered about. And adding more people only adds to that bandwidth.

‘Course it does. Makes sense now. I was thinking it didn’t apply to spectators, but you’re right, there’s no distinction.

A second class of spectator sounds like a good idea though. One that can join the room, listen to taunts, death log etc, but be blind to the tank positions, weapons, effects. (Or maybe you could just limit the effects (the ground disappears when blasted or something)). You could tell them they’ve joined the room, but that they have to wait for a space.

All starting to sound very complicated. I’d be interested to know where the bandwidth requirement lies. I mean, I’d guess that normal chat/taunts are fairly insignificant compared to weapon positions etc.

Out of my depth : (

Shotzo
    Participant

Have you ever ran a server?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.