This topic contains 30 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  apache64d 8 years, 2 months ago.

• Author

pastor of muppets
    Participant

I did want to be an admin at one point in time now is not the time anymore. At the time I was “up” for admin I was told a few people didn’t think I was admin material and it was left at that. I waited for days from the people who voted no to send me a PM and tell me what I had done that made me non admin material or even what I could do to become “admin material”. At that time I was working at a desk in front of a computer with access to forums all the time and was always up to date with what was going on in the game and in all time zones. At this point in time I would make a horrible admin since I only have access at work during my lunch break on my mobile phone since our company now filters out game sites. Not really sure why you had to throw in that last little shot at me but you said what you felt and that is cool with me.

As far as the drink with Rom I’m game whenever he is I would love the opportunity.

Why I posted that thread is I felt that something wrong had been done. Now if I’m not mistaken it is ok to post when I feel something wrong has been done and then wait and see what the community reaction is. The reaction is now 9 pages long so….I may not be way off base. Topics that are stupid or hold no weight usually die pretty quickly.

Rom can piss people off he is really good at it. He used to make me so angry all the time until I got past the way he delivered messages and started paying attention to what the message was. He almost always has something to say something to add to the game something that would benefit us. He tends to overelaborate but not overexagerate.

He used dirt and laser tactic forever he was protecting himself from the bot by covering the target (himself) he exposed a game weakness (once you dirt yourself laser is fairly easy to use). He suggested shortening the shot clock this would make it harder for the calculator and shoestring players to do the formula of aiming and force them to “play” the game. He stated he loves the new stat system (as do I) and exposed a weakness of the fact that if you are only hunting skill points it is better to resign if you have no definate kill, this saves you from losing points and blocks the enemy from gaining them. He calls foul when he feels wronged and usually ask for an admin consensus on his post.

These are all simple problems, get rid of the bot (which as far as I know you guys have), make the dirt not see through, experiment with shortening the shot clock and then take a poll (everyone seems to like the challenge in tourneys), add a penalty in skill points for resigning (3 to 5 points would make me think twice) (*on a side note remove the penalty for sk’s when someone funky dies and kills you this is forcing people into trucing), discuss an answer among admins then have a spokes person come up with a post that says “we as admins have discussed this and we agree that …..” then all of you standby the decision whether you agree or not.

Admins are a very important part of this game and I respect the position. One thing an admin has to remember is when playing he/she is speaking for all admins, if you don’t like this I’m sorry you accepted the position it is true. If while playing someone does something you don’t like and you “yell” at them about it and or take admin action you are speaking for all admins. It is your responsibilty to know what is going on in the community and to stay up to date on forums, nothing drives me crazier than playing with an admin when I say what do you think about……(refer to a hot, controversial and or good suggestion/idea on forums) and the admin says “oh I never look at forums”. This has happened to me on several occasions.

You want to shut Rom up Mandy? Get together with the admins when he makes a post read it dissect it discuss it watch where it goes with the other players, vote on it agree on a message that is to be delivered post it then stand by it as a group. What can he do if you guys do that? He will have to move on to another topic. The one thing I would recommend is to not respond too quickly give him a date that says we will let you know by Thursday or Friday etc. etc. so that you all have time to watch where it goes and to give it serious thought. Listen and respond don’t hear and react it is your duty.

I would also go back to a reccomendation that was made some time ago that being, that admins have a badge or star or something by their name. If you are here to police and keep the game fun identify yourselves. You may be able to hide and catch someone doing something but what if you made your presence known, you may prevent them from doing it in the first place.

Good to hear from you Mandy I will always remember that you were one of my teachers and one of my favorite people to chat with while playing. As DB said you, bd, and bb were and are great people to have on the forums and in game you guys do a ton of good for this community.

Deathbal
    Participant

These are all simple problems, get rid of the bot (which as far as I know you guys have),

He used dirt and laser tactic forever he was protecting himself from the bot by covering the target

I know i’ve been in LA for a week, but I didn’t just drop out of the sky. Yet I need an explanation to the above quotes. “The bot” “Get rid of the bot” ???

pastor of muppets
    Participant

come on DB “the bot” caused us to ban some players and was the meaning for a lot of disruption surely you remember that.

BigBear
    Participant

@pastor of muppets wrote:

These are all simple problems, get rid of the bot (which as far as I know you guys have) …

If you are referring to making code changes that will prevent it that is more of a developer thing really. Certainly you are not suggesting that it is being used by any of the admins?

Admins are a very important part of this game and I respect the position. One thing an admin has to remember is when playing he/she is speaking for all admins, if you don’t like this I’m sorry you accepted the position it is true. If while playing someone does something you don’t like and you “yell” at them about it and or take admin action you are speaking for all admins. It is your responsibilty to know what is going on in the community and to stay up to date on forums, nothing drives me crazier than playing with an admin when I say what do you think about……(refer to a hot, controversial and or good suggestion/idea on forums) and the admin says “oh I never look at forums”. This has happened to me on several occasions.

While I agree with the the last part that admins should keep up to date with the forums, the first part about speaking on part of all the admins “live” on the servers is not really realistic. It is not possible to list and agree upon an action for every concievable situation that might arise. You see something and you act acording to your knowledge and ability. If something is not clear you talk about it and share thoughts and ideas with your colleagues. That is why votes were introduced for bans. For simpler stuff there has to be some leeway for the individual or I doubt you will find many that will do something at all in most situations out of fear of reprecussions.

Rommel
    Participant

Hi POM :

You are still a better attorney than most of those I’ve hired.

What I failed to say earlier :

You are better than the ones that I fired.

I think you are a keeper. Well done.

Best wishes,

Rommel

Rommel
    Participant

In regard to the post that Mandy directed at me and to those that agree with what she thinks, please read the long post from POM carefully. Also, before making one of your own, please bear in mind that these posts have a very long lifespan.

Although I don’t agree with everything he said (I love the dirt POM) I do agree with his overall assesment. Those that have a concern with his post or this one, are encouraged to read through the entire discussion, with the specific intention of being objective while looking for what precipitates a change in tone and also noting those that make the most foolish posts.

Note : You will find a link directory at the end of this post to help you navigate the thread. It has been hacked to pieces in an attempt to kill it but still it lives. Mandy’s post is another attempt to divert the attention back to me and end the other thread. Not a bad tactic for those with something to hide but it isn’t proving very effective. Not this time.

Pointing out a problem and offering a satisfactory solution does not require an apology. If an appology is in order, it is from those in power that reject the notion that a undeniable definition of the FFA rule has been shown to be required.

Mandy was wrong on too many points for me to be able elaborate other than to say this about leaving :

It is not the ones that see the problems and offer solutions that should leave. If anyone should leave, it is those that know or cause the problems, that are also charged with correcting them, yet fail to do anything about them. By doing this, they themselves become a problem and the problems are increased, not decreased.

That ain’t me honey.

The Reading Directory Begins Here :

At the end of each thread, return to this list and select the next thread. Good luck if you’ve eaten recently and have a weak stomache.

Admin Abuse

Abuse of Administrative Power Continues !!!

Not So Fast

Rules Verification Please

FFA The Official Definition

Locked Thread

Then go back and read the posts from Mandy and the other admins again.

bazzz
    Participant

Maybe i am missing something, could you tell me again what you are trying to achieve?

I am finding it increasingly difficult to understand why you have to stir again, if you have a point to make its probably best to make it understandable for a large part of the onlookers. If you fail to do so people will just stop paying attention or care.

PeanutsRevenge
    Participant

While I agree with the majority of POMs post (the admin tag had been a good suggestion, but alot of stuff requires code changes/additions), I must disagree that admins are speaking as admin all the time.

Admins should only be considered to be speaking as such either when they say so, or, when they do not say it’s a personal statement.
    Come on POM, there’re players and people like me and … well, everyone else :P, if not permitted to share their own opinion, they’ll bugger off to another game or step down

The other issue is with paying attention to Rommel. I’d like to highlight:

@rommel wrote:

In regard to the post that Mandy directed at me and to those that agree with what she thinks, please read the long post from POM carefully. Also, before making one of your own, please bear in mind that these posts have a very long lifespan.

Yes, I know it has a long lifespan (unless I delete it), but it’s what I said, I may change my mind and post something different.
    Therefore, like I give a flying pink fluffy fuck it’s gonna be around, quit being a snobby cock!

That’s why I can’t be doing with his posts 99% of the time, it’s all crap, this is a game, not a damn court room!
    And he likes to make threatening/suggestive posts… yep, GREAT way of getting people to pay attention to ya.

I paid far more attention and took in more of you describing Rommels objectives than when he posts, you laid it out clearly and in a friendly manner.
    You demanded little but some respect in your post IMO.

apache64d
    Participant

It is not the ones that see the problems and offer solutions that should leave. If anyone should leave, it is those that know or cause the problems, that are also charged with correcting them, yet fail to do anything about them. By doing this, they themselves become a problem and the problems are increased, not decreased.

That ain’t me honey.

Well, I think you discribe yourself. Yes it is you Rommel.

POM, some of the things you said has already been discussed and are closed cases now. (admin/moderator badge can be cool though..we had it I think in the past..or a tilte..). The laser-dirt tactic is a lagit tactic and untill gavin discide he wants to change the code it says like that.. also the same about resigning (unless the admins will aproche gavin wiht a new rule..it is not seem to be happening any time soon).
    In general: This is a way to suggest things, to says things, to ask questions. Rommel’s way IS NOT the way to do it..and u see he keeps going in the wrong way…(I hope u now more understand why the last toic was locked).

Deathbal
    Participant

come on DB “the bot” caused us to ban some players and was the meaning for a lot of disruption surely you remember that.

Ok, now I understand. There was a post not too long ago about a remote bot, so I was not sure what you were refering to.

But I do not expect anyone besides the devs to have it. I have never used it, looked at it or even downloaded it. What would be the point? I’m not a programmer. I can be of no assistance concerning the bot. So as far as I know, the admin team does not have it.

Rommel
    Participant

The problem, as I understand it, is the ambiguity in the rules combined with the lack of the admins to maintain a structure that affords the players a rapid and correct response to their concerns.

Past issues, although oftern required to support an argument, should not be the focus of an ongoing discussion to better the game and the playing experience for all.

OFF TOPIC – ON AIM BOT, BEYOND THIS POINT : Please ignore if you are looking for on topic information.

None of this seems pertinent to establishing better rules and guidelines to benefit all concerned. My only reason for posting a reply is to clear up the misunderstanding indicated. I feel quite certain that at least one of the admins downloaded the bot designed to work with the older version. You should find this mentioned in one of the discussions on how it worked and why the player was banned.

Having never seen the bot in action personally, I was one of those very interested in how it worked. Not to duplicate it but rather in the hopes of developing a strategy to overcome it’s effectiveness. Being one of those most distrurbed and out spoken against it, I later sent a message to Gavin about the things I was doing to combat it and that it was no longer much of a problem.

It is not a problem now.

pastor of muppets
    Participant

OK let me explain a couple of things then I will shut up.

Rom do me the pleasure of not responding to or bumping this thread until 8-01-09 to see where it goes. Oh and don’t post anymore shit stirring threads either, my point and your point have been made any more stirring is just nonsense and is a waste of time that admins will have to look at and distract themselves from debating an answer to what this post is truly about. (Not this post but several others) Are there admins who don’t understand their position? Are there better ways to communicate to the community? Can things be better? Are these post BS or do they have something to say? These are the questions that I would like answered.

Why do I want the star/badge cuz it would tell noobs not regulars that you are an admin. Any argument that it would “spoil your game play” is just silly because the people that you “just want to be yourself with” are regulars if you are “just being yourselves” noobs will learn to love you as I have.

What I meant by you are representing the admin group. Which has obviously been misunderstood is this, let me elaborate.

Barak Obama is a smoker so is a billion other people but poeple say the USA president smokes.

Leonard Little killed someone while drinking and driving so has a hundred thousand other people but people say St. Louis Ram’s Player Leonard Little killed someone while driving drunk.

Michael Vick fought dogs on his own time using his own personal money on his own property and people say Michael Vick quarterback of the Atlanta Falcons is an animal abuser.

If Bill Gates gets caught at something it will be said “Bill Gates MS inventor did…”

Let me make it a bit more personal. 10 years ago I was on the fast track to promotions I got 4 promotions in less than 2 years unheard of in my line of buisiness. One of my employess died in my hands, no joke no exageration she looked at me said somethings wrong and died of an aneurysm in front of my entire dept, in my arms, I was lost on what to do, pulse was stable, breathing was stable but she still died. I had the duty of calling her daughter who also worked for us but was on vacation and explaining to her that her mother had died. I then went to bat immideatly for my people, I fought and won to reschedule their work day so that they could attend the funeral (she was a 15 year employee for God’s sake). Work agreed and scheduled people to come in at 12:00 instead of 10:00. The memorial service ran over by about an hour so it was time for the “DAYSHIFT” crew to go to work, I worked a split shift at the time. I was asked by one person if they should stay for graveside services or if they should go to work…my response?

I’m not your boss right now I am someone grieving over a loss just like you. The result….? The entire crew stayed for graveside services. I was proud as hell of them and loved the fact that their work ethic and their personal lives conflicted and they chose the right one. I paid hell for this, company black listed me for promotion. Do I think they were wrong? Not sure to this day but their argument was sound, I let personal stuff cloud my judgement on the fact that I was a company rep. (whether I felt I was or not at the time) …Is this true?

Absolutely, when I am introduced to a family at Wal-Mart it is never this is Matt (Mateo) he is my friend. It is always this is Matt (Mateo) my boss or the supervisor of evis, or now the suprintendent of the plant at night. It took me 10 years and an owner change and a complete revamping of uppermanagement group to get the promotion that I deserved!

Remember admins that when you speak, most of us know you are an admin and we feel that it is the admin consensus. You can say this is a game/this isn’t real life/I’m just a player like you, but…you aren’t, you accepted the fact that someone felt you were elevated above other players whether it be for your game play or your opinoin, or your personality. Anyway you look at it you have an obligation to this community and none of us take it lightly. Police are people too but they still have that badge and gun. So do you!

I too will not respond until 8-01-09 to see if something will be started to adress the concerns. Please take this seriously and discuss and respond. Listen (look, read. digest) and respond dont hear (yeah I read it) and (that bastage rom is trying to ruing the game) or (PoM has moved to the darkside mark him) and react.

“I’ve said all I have to say about that. ” Forrest Gump

PeanutsRevenge
    Participant

IMO, this is a game, the admins are not being paid to do the job, they’re players the same as us, but they also have further responsabilities.

If they’re nolonger entitled to their own opinion, hell, I wouldn’t blame them all for walking out and letting the game rot.

What POM is saying is that if he got into a fight down the pub one night, Walmat would be entirely within their rights to sake him for setting a bad example for Walmat in public!

The fact he was out of work enjoying himself has nothing to do with it, as the admins place to enjoy themselves and relax IS scorched.

Heck, I wouldn’t blame the admins for just quitting now, I’m damn close to just quitting this game as it is, so many ungrateful bastards here it makes me sick.

Raden
    Participant

These are my personal answers…..not after an admin discussion or anything to do with admin’s thoughts in general.

Are there admins who don’t understand their position?

I don’t think so. I believe every admin know their roles. Misunderstandings or mistakes done while in the course of duty are rare but will happen, should it happen, lessons will be learnt from such incidents. I think each admin have their own qualities, some have deeper knowledge or better understanding of certain subjects than others, and will apply that knowledge for the betterment of the game, be it openly, or behind the scenes. As for general policing duties on the game servers, I think it has been generally satisfactory.

Are there better ways to communicate to the community?

Other than the in-game chat, the forums are the place for communication. PMs too, if necessary. But if you are talking about communication skills, then yes, sometimes the manner of a reply is only as good as the manner the question was put across. Constant or repetitive heckling and offensive manners can expect to be eventually replied in kind or even ignored, ….everybody has different “crap tolerance thresholds”

Can things be better?

Most definitely yes, never stop thinking of improvements, and apply them, only if necessary. Major flaws, loopholes or bugs should be looked into, but not petty things which only 1 or 2 see as a problem.

Are these post BS or do they have something to say?

Some are BS, some are sensible. Some posts bring up petty stuff, which are then overblown and thus eliciting opinions and replies that are then used to open up another purported problem. It then becomes like a never ending quest to bring about disruption and unnecessary chaos.

Chopper
    Participant

Why is it in the games we get along and things go smooth…and all hell breaks loose in the forums? :-k
    Personally…..more fun in the games…..can’t remember the last time I logged in a s admin….and even more so…..Ive never had to slap, poor or kick anyone.

POM…no matter what you go through in life…..someone has it worse than you….that has kept me going throught the tough times……and theres been a few in 58 years Buddy. You and the Missus are good people I can tell.

‘Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich starker.’
    ‘What does not destroy me, makes me stronger.’

Friedrich Nietzsche, Twilight of the Idols, 1888

I’ve had to talk down a few….but no problem….we have fun and jam mon’

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.