This topic contains 88 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  dipalina 7 years, 10 months ago.

• Author

rjcarello
    Participant

Does this game require a G4 processor?

fab4
    Participant

Scorched 3d runs OK on my 700 MHz G3 iBook, as well as my G4 and G5 computers. Since the iBook only has 16 MB of VRAM, I had to lower the resolution/detail settings to 800 x 600 with medium textures.

rjcarello
    Participant

I have a 400Mhz G3 with an 8MB Rage 128 video card. When I attempt to run the game, I get this message:

dyld: incompatible cpu-subtype
    Trace/BPT trap

Any ideas?

fab4
    Participant

Hmm, I think you may need a 16 MB video card, and you can’t upgrade the video card on an iMac. Maybe Gavin will confirm this or provide some help.

What version of OSX are you using and how much RAM do you have installed in your computer?

rjcarello
    Participant

@fab4 wrote:

Hmm, I think you may need a 16 MB video card, and you can’t upgrade the video card on an iMac. Maybe Gavin will confirm this or provide some help.

What version of OSX are you using and how much RAM do you have installed in your computer?

I am using a “pismo” PowerBook. My video is definitely not upgradeable. I have 512 MB RAM and I am running Mac OS X (Tiger) version 10.4.3.

The message I got sounded as if my CPU was not supported by the game, but I haven’t had much luck finding system requirements anywhere.

fab4
    Participant

I don’t think you’re going to be able to run the game. Based on my limited experiences with this game on a Mac and a PC, I’m nearly positive you’ll need at least 16 MB of VRAM and probably an ATI Radeon or a Nvidia GeForce MX and a 500 MHz processor as a minimum.

NinjaFae
    Participant

This game has been compiled for G4+, an examination of the code, however, suggests it should run reasonably on a G3, however, I’m having a whale of a time trying to, since I can’t get a working version of wxWindows, or, for that matter, any of the wx packages, and it isn’t clear which one is required.

Soon as I compile it, though, I’ll post the binary for you G3 users, as I’m one myself. 🙂

fab4
    Participant

Well you don’t need to go thru all that work, since the compiled version on the download page works just fine on my 700 MHz G3 iBook

NinjaFae
    Participant

I ran some tools to see why it wouldn’t run, then got a friend to decompile it, and it’s been ~edit~compiled~/edit~ exclusively for g4, so I dunno how you managed it. However, since it works, please send me the binary from that very install, not the download, and I’ll test it with that. 🙂

fab4
    Participant

I download the program from the download page on this website
    http://www.scorched3d.co.uk/downloads.php

Are you running this program from X11 (required)? Also if you’re running OSX 10.3.x then you’ll also need to download and install OpenAL (also linked to above).

fab4
    Participant

An interesting thing happened after I upgraded from OSX 10.3.9 to 10.4.4 on my G3 iBook – Scorched3d no longer runs. I get an ‘invalid CPU type’ error message in the X11 Window. Now I understand why NinjaFae was reporting it wouldn’t work on his G3.

Gavin, any suggestions on how to fix this? Should I try reinstalling the game?

imported_gcamp
    Participant

@fab4 wrote:

An interesting thing happened after I upgraded from OSX 10.3.9 to 10.4.4 on my G3 iBook – Scorched3d no longer runs. I get an ‘invalid CPU type’ error message in the X11 Window. Now I understand why NinjaFae was reporting it wouldn’t work on his G3.

Gavin, any suggestions on how to fix this? Should I try reinstalling the game?

Sorry, don’t know. I’ll have a look when I do the v40 port which shouldn’t be very long now.

DeVice
    Participant

I can have access to various CPU series Macintoshes, including G3, G4 and G5 machines, at work or at home.

If I can help in any way, just ask (though I may be a bit long to answer, as usual 😉 ).

Hiroyuki
    Participant

– posted in wrong thread, moved –

dipalina
    Participant

Is there a theme for Windows XP that will make it resemble mac OS X? I want to download a theme that will make my windows xp resemble mac os x. So, can you recommend any theme pages for my blackberry pearl?

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 90 total)

The forum ‘news’ is closed to new topics and replies.