This topic contains 4 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Chomsky 13 years, 10 months ago.

• Author

GoochRules
    Participant

Greetings,

The most recent CVS build of scorched3d (as of 2004.03.05) for me dies with “Illegal instruction” soon after running. Not even the main menu is displayed.

My best first guess is that this may be a gcc3.1 vs gcc3.3 problem. I installed Xcode 1.1 from the 24 part download, and chose to not include gcc3.1. When attempting to install some unrelated packages in fink (specifically, freetype-hinting-shlibs), I noticed that they complained that ‘gcc3′ was missing, so I simply linked /usr/bin/gcc3.3 to /usr/bin/gcc. This allowed the packages to find an acceptable compiler. Most all built just fine, freetype-hinting-shlibs gave me some errors on some macros (’twas an easy fix, someone had used macro-pasting commands — ‘##’ where no command was needed). In the course of discussion with fink-users it was mentioned that my /usr/bin/gcc3 -> gcc3.3 link is a very bad idea because some packages are known to be broken when compiled by gcc3.3 (which I think is absurd).

I have since removed my link, and am rebuilding fink-installed packages that scorched3d uses… but I haven’t found any that bork when they can’t find gcc3.1. A full list would be very apperciated to see what i’ve missed — I’ve already done wxgtk, sdl, sdl-net, and sdl-mixer

I have created an Xcode project which compiles scorched3d fine, but I have not been able to run scorched3d in debug mode… something about different versions (debug vs non-debug) of libaries. But as soon as I can I’ll see if I can get a stack trace to pinpoint where this Illegal Instruction is occuring.

Has there been anythough to creating a mailing list for scorched3d? I find email to be a much better medium than this form…. just a thought.

Chomsky
    Participant

I’d agree with what the fink developers told you…. I think this is a gcc issue, and not a scorched3d one.

GoochRules
    Participant

I’d agree with what the fink developers told you…. I think this is a gcc issue, and not a scorched3d one.

quite right. I realize scorched3d is not the problem… but it does expose the problem, so I plan to use it to fix the problem.

I guess what I’m looking for is any experiences by the scorched3d community with scorched3d and gcc3.3 or Xcode, as well as a list of packages from fink that scorched3d relies upon.

The last course of action I’m willing to take is to install gcc3.1 and recompile everything. Before then I’d like to find out where this instruction is comming from, patch the source and contribute back to the community. As fun as scorched3d is — and as sadistic as this may sound — I enjoy debugging more.

Anyways, here’s a snippet from the crash report, generated by OS X:

Exception: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (0x0001)
    Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS (0x0001) at 0xbf7fffe0

Thread 0 Crashed:
    0 libwx_gtkd-2.4.0.dylib 0x06f16cdc 0x6cdc000 + 0x23acdc
    1 libwx_gtkd-2.4.0.dylib 0x06df0354 wxEvtHandler::ProcessEvent(wxEvent&) + 0x2c
    2 libwx_gtkd-2.4.0.dylib 0x06df0544 wxEvtHandler::ProcessEvent(wxEvent&) + 0x21c
    [repeats 505 more times]

FYI, I cleaned my wxgtk fink files and rebuilt from scratch, so threads are enabled in wxgtk… I suppose there’s one place I could start…

GoochRules
    Participant

FYI, I cleaned my wxgtk fink files and rebuilt from scratch, so threads are enabled in wxgtk… I suppose there’s one place I could start…

yeah… adding –enable-threads=no to wxgtk.info fixed up that Illegal Instruction real good. Its a shame wxgtk is so broken.

imported_gcamp
    Participant

Wow a whole forum thead started and completed in 3 hours, good work 🙂

Chomsky
    Participant

@goochrules! wrote:

Its a shame wxgtk is so broken.

Amen to that, Gooch. I downloaded the development version of wxmac (cocoa widgets) to evaluate it for linking into the next version of scorched…. they haven’t even implemented a lot of the basic widgets yet. We’ll be on gtk for a while.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.