This topic contains 29 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  PeanutsRevenge 9 years, 9 months ago.

• Author

apache64d
    Participant

Para, Rommel: Pls trust us on this. Like DW said, there is a (very) good reason why xox is banned and why he will continue to be.

PeanutsRevenge
    Participant

Well, I agree what he should still be banned, I don’t know that actual reason, but the trouble he like to cause is reason enough for me to want him banned, if if that isnt reason TO ban him.

So just to show support instead of having your decisions questioned all the time, I thought I’d buck the trend.
    Do think that more transparancy in general would be benificial to the gaming experience, even if we as players do have alot more say in the game than most other games!!!!!

Rommel
    Participant

Hi Apache:

I have little choice except to accept the things that I can not change.@apache64d wrote:

Para, Rommel: Pls trust us on this. Like DW said, there is a (very) good reason why xox is banned and why he will continue to be.

For whatever this is worth, I tried and hopefully in doing so, I’ve not made this situation worse on anyone but especially not on the ones accused.

Feeling that my thoughts on secret tribunals are, or should be, well known, I hereby conceed to becoming a conscientious, albeit now silent, objector and ask to be reminded of this fact if I should ever bring up this topic again.

Sincerely,

Rommel

Rommel
    Participant

Different topic but along the same lines. 😛

Considering that I hope to have a server running again soon, if a player gets banned what does that actually mean? Are they banned from all servers or all official servers or only on the server where they caused a disturbance?

Not that I expect to be banning anyone, I haven’t yet, but I don’t want to get banned for offering a place where everyone is welcome to play.

If I’ve missed the specifics on this topic, please provide a link so I can educate myself.

From Big Bear:

Just a little clarification. The ban on tora has nothing to do with apoc. He’s banned from playing on the official scorched servers (main, beginners, teams and tournie). Apoc is an independent server and who is allowed to play there is a different matter and is not handled by the official servers admin staff.

From Apache:

The “manager” of the apoc servers is Bobirov. U can ask him anything u want. The ban was executed by an admin from the crew that keeps an eye on the official servers Only. Any othere server is on the resposibillity of the ower of the server.

My confusion seems to be with the term official. Rob’s APOCALYPSE server is an official server, yes? The servers hosted by Thrax are official as well, yes?

This makes me think that the bans are more server specific.

Rommel

Panther30
    Participant

The bans Are server specific Rommel.

I must go save the world

adieu

Panther

(best I can do in response to your usual)

PeanutsRevenge
    Participant

No, thraxs are not official servers, nor is apoc as far as I believe…

I would also like to know (to expand) how the ban is put into place as there is no way to completely ban people…

BigBear
    Participant

@rommel wrote:

My confusion seems to be with the term official. Rob’s APOCALYPSE server is an official server, yes? The servers hosted by Thrax are official as well, yes?

Rommel

I always have and always will think of the official servers as Gavin’s servers. The term seem to have different meaning to different ppl though, which is why I will be careful using it in the future. Replace the word “official” with “Gavin’s” in the quote by me above and you have the explanation right there. 😉

Thrax
    Participant

@rommel wrote:

Different topic but along the same lines. 😛

Considering that I hope to have a server running again soon, if a player
    gets banned what does that actually mean? Are they banned from all
    servers or all official servers or only on the server where they caused a
    disturbance?

Not that I expect to be banning anyone, I haven’t yet, but I don’t want to
    get banned for offering a place where everyone is welcome to play.

If I’ve missed the specifics on this topic, please provide a link so I can
    educate myself.

From Apache:

The “manager” of the apoc servers is Bobirov. U can ask him
    anything u want. The ban was executed by an admin from the crew that
    keeps an eye on the official servers Only. Any othere server is on the
    resposibillity of the ower of the server.

My confusion seems to be with the term official. Rob’s APOCALYPSE
    server is an official server, yes? The servers hosted by Thrax are official
    as well, yes?

Rommel

As bear said, most refer to gavins servers as Official.
    Yes, every single server contains a seperate ban-list. Even each of
    gavins. Although for his, and mine, it’s likely that the ban-list for each
    server is identical.

The Mod-Servers(Bobs, Panthers, and mine), are considered as official
    if they have the Mod-Home icon. We each came to Gavin personally
    and discussed it with him, asking him for appproval.

As such, we’re somewhat similar minded when it comes to the
    responibilities of being hosts and admins. If it’s decided that a
    person is bannable, it’s not something we take lightly at all.. And
    never made without strong reasons and propper research of evidence.

However, it seems less simple to enforce those bans on these forums
    themselves. Players discovered to be abusing the spirit of the game
    and opensource in general enough to be globally banned from all official
    servers, are still strangely alowed to remain, post, and even gather a small following.

Rommel
    Participant

@thrax wrote:

@rommel wrote:

Not that I expect to be banning anyone, I haven’t yet, but I don’t want to
    get banned for offering a place where everyone is welcome to play.

If I’ve missed the specifics on this topic, please provide a link so I can
    educate myself. …
    My confusion seems to be with the term official. Rob’s APOCALYPSE
    server is an official server, yes? The servers hosted by Thrax are official
    as well, yes?

Rommel

As bear said, most refer to gavins servers as Official.
    Yes, every single server contains a seperate ban-list. Even each of
    gavins. Although for his, and mine, it’s likely that the ban-list for each
    server is identical. …
    However, it seems less simple to enforce those bans on these forums
    themselves. Players discovered to be abusing the spirit of the game
    servers, are still strangely alowed to remain, post, and even gather a small following.

Thanks for helping clear this up Big Bear and Thrax. I still can’t find the specifics detailing this subject. Are they hidden in restricted forum (Admins only)?

Just for the record, I’m not much of a follower, never have been and I have no respect for those that try to cheat. TheOne and XOX aren’t buddies of mine. However, I don’t feel that I can ban anyone because they have been banned elsewhere without seeing the evidence. That being said, I’ll allow anyone that has been banned unless someone presents evidence that convinces me that the bans are justified.

So what have I just done? Did I invite Jack the Ripper to take my teenage daughter to the movies or perhaps I just invited Jeffrey Dahmer to join me for dinner? Beats me but this is a bit of a problem.

Not currnently having a server on-line, for now it doesn’t matter but it may matter soon.

Rommel

Thrax
    Participant

I wasn’t referring to xox or One at all…

Laptops Daddy
    Participant

@thrax wrote:

…Players discovered to be abusing the spirit of the game

Surely server bans are intended only as punishment or deterrent to others. Anything further goes way beyond the scope of whatever vote to ban.

Expecting the community to shun banned players on a personal level based on unclear judgements made by admins, judgements on character based on snippets from game chat, is absurd. In fact, it’s demonstration of misplaced authority in itself, and a slight on the game. This is not the way to encourage respect for admins and their sketchy judgements.

Ever heard of the peasants revolt? Quit it, or go the way of the Archbishop.

Ps:
    Good to see you back in business, Thrax (I guess ; ).

I’d say main and beginners are the ‘official’ servers, while the ‘home of mod’ servers are ‘approved’ servers.

BigBear
    Participant

@rommel wrote:

However, I don’t feel that I can ban anyone because they have been banned elsewhere without seeing the evidence. That being said, I’ll allow anyone that has been banned unless someone presents evidence that convinces me that the bans are justified.

Sounds like a good policy to me.

@laptops Daddy wrote:

Expecting the community to shun banned players on a personal level based on unclear judgements made by admins, judgements on character based on snippets from game chat, is absurd. In fact, it’s demonstration of misplaced authority in itself, and a slight on the game. This is not the way to encourage respect for admins and their sketchy judgements.

Note of interest (or not, you decide). In my time with this game (about 2.5 years by now) only one person was ever banned from the forums (I said person not spam bots) to my knowledge. His ban had nothing to do with what he did on the servers.

@laptops Daddy wrote:

I’d say main and beginners are the ‘official’ servers, while the ‘home of mod’ servers are ‘approved’ servers.

Spot on description in my book!

PeanutsRevenge
    Participant

@rommel wrote:

However, I don’t feel that I can ban anyone because they have been banned elsewhere without seeing the evidence. That being said, I’ll allow anyone that has been banned unless someone presents evidence that convinces me that the bans are justified.

Rommel

This is tricky.
    I agree with what you are saying, if its your server, then its your rules and upto you who is banned or not.
    however, if their actions are detrimental to the game or actions unsporting enough to warrent a ban from the official admins, well, they are the representatives of Gavin and it is his baby.
    Although you may host the server yourself with a mod written by yourself using open source software, it is still linked to by the main server, which could be removed if seen fit.
    Going by present actions, I could easily see that happening should you step out of line, which would make your server pretty remote.

BigBear
    Participant

@peanutsrevenge wrote:

Although you may host the server yourself with a mod written by yourself using open source software, it is still linked to by the main server, which could be removed if seen fit.
    Going by present actions, I could easily see that happening should you step out of line, which would make your server pretty remote.

I find that extremely unlikely. Do what you want with your own servers. Actions by the admin crew on Gavin’s server applies to those servers only. What other server owners do is up to their own discretion. If they wanna follow suit then thanks for the vote of confindence. If not then that is really not any of our business.

Rommel
    Participant

Hi PeanutsRevenge:

No offence but I’m going to go with Big Bear on this one.@bigbear wrote:

@peanutsrevenge wrote:

I find that extremely unlikely. Do what you want with your own servers. Actions by the admin crew on Gavin’s server applies to those servers only. What other server owners do is up to their own discretion. If they wanna follow suit then thanks for the vote of confindence. If not then that is really not any of our business.

Not that I don’t respect your opinion,and think your advice is sound, but Big Bear is an Administrator.

Now for you:

It would appear that you’ve been busy posting, and haven’t had time to catch up on your reading. 😉 What’s the score? Never mind … I’m sure you are way ahead by now.

If you go back a post or two you’ll see that we already had the details worked out. Thanks for the heads up though, I’m picking up what your laying down and will try to be careful. 😉

Rommel

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.