This topic contains 13 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Irishbandit 9 years, 3 months ago.

  • Author
    Posts
  • #6538

    EatMyCar
    Participant

    Hey. Its been a while since any new levels have been added (which is understandable. Took me a while to do that pack, I can imagine how long a level tanks), but, I’d just like to suggest some variations to landscapes.xml

    Theres plenty of texture sets (If new ones are desired, I’d be glad to provide some), but some maps (Spike, for example), only use one, and come up in the same, boring variety. I don’t suppose it’d be too much to make these ‘one’ or ‘two’ texture levels use more sets? :3 I’ll be glad to do it myself to be honest.

    #52197

    Thrax
    Participant

    @eatmycar wrote:

    Hey. Its been a while since any new levels have been added
    (which is understandable. Took me a while to do that pack, I can imagine
    how long a level tanks), but, I’d just like to suggest some variations to
    landscapes.xml

    Theres plenty of texture sets (If new ones are desired, I’d be glad to
    provide some), but some maps (Spike, for example), only use one, and
    come up in the same, boring variety. I don’t suppose it’d be too much to
    make these ‘one’ or ‘two’ texture levels use more sets? :3 I’ll be glad to
    do it myself to be honest.

    Map Competition..
    http://www.scorched3d.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4671

    lets see whatcha got. 😀

    #52198

    EatMyCar
    Participant

    Oh u. 🙂

    I looked through the topic and found the map making tutorial which I’ll be giving a shot at later, but, it didn’t cover placement of boids and objects like trees and buildings. How would I do that?

    *edit*

    Disregard that. I found it. lol.

    #52199

    Rommel
    Participant

    Dear Thrax:

    It was very kind of you to stop me from wasting any more time on my maps but it seems rather cruel that you are still encouraging others to work on maps for the map competition when you know that the hours they are spending to better the game are being wasted.@thrax wrote:

    @eatmycar wrote:

    Hey. Its been a while since any new levels have been added
    (which is understandable. Took me a while to do that pack, I can imagine
    how long a level tanks), but, I’d just like to suggest some variations to
    landscapes.xml

    Theres plenty of texture sets (If new ones are desired, I’d be glad to
    provide some), but some maps (Spike, for example), only use one, and
    come up in the same, boring variety. I don’t suppose it’d be too much to
    make these ‘one’ or ‘two’ texture levels use more sets? :3 I’ll be glad to
    do it myself to be honest.

    Map Competition..
    http://www.scorched3d.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4671

    lets see whatcha got. 😀

    In the post you answered for Gavin, dated August 26, 2008 (2 days ago) you indicated that the landscaping process is being reworked and that the map structure currently used will be obsolete. If this is true, Gavin hasn’t answered yet, then perhaps it is time to end the map contest and declare a winner before anyone else wastes another hour.

    In the alternative, I suggest an immediate update from GAVIN that details the proposed changes and how we should begin preparing for them. Perhaps something useable with the new rendering plan can be salvalged from this calmity but if so, now is the time to begin making the changes.

    Although I have voiced my concerns over this issue more than once, nothing has changed and no one has provided a valid reason for why the change proposals need to be shrouded. Although I haven’t received support on this in the past, I suspect that I’m not the only one that has recently learned or will soon learn that, they have wasted a considerable amount of time on maps for this version. If so, it’s time to voice your concerns but please don’t get angry and just go away.

    “You got to fight, for your right, to PARTY !!!” – The Beastie Boys

    I must go destroy the world now. Krieg ohne Hass

    Sincerely,

    Generalfeldmarschall Erwin J. E. Rommel

    #52200

    Irishbandit
    Participant

    Hmm didnt know that the maps where changing just how they are displayed. Will have to try out some of my custom maps and see what happens.

    Rommel have you downloaded any of the recent changes and built a copy?

    Seems your time could be better spent looking at the changes and giving feed back, then posting long posts hear on the forums.
    Just an idea that way you could see if some of your points are correct or not.

    #52201

    Thrax
    Participant

    Creating maps as they are for v41, will still be processed.
    V42 is using the mostly the same creation format as before, with only a
    few minor changes code-wise. Converting a map from v41 to v42 is only
    a matter of moments.

    However, if you wish a more complete run-down on the exact coding
    changes needed, I can oblige.

    tex-mapname.xml :
    removed totally
    — Removed line and line.

    defn-mapname.xml :
    Whole segment deleted – obsolete
    Optional Addition –
    512
    512
    256
    256 – to set surround vs battle-field.

    All other boid, placement, sound, event code is un-altered in coding
    method, only thier internally processed function.

    I will update this thread if any other notable code changes are needed.

    #52202

    doom
    Participant

    *sneeze*mods!*sneeze*

    #52203

    Rommel
    Participant

    Hi Irishbandit:

    Thank you for taking the time to make a post and hopefully for reading my entire reply. It was very nice of you, as a project developer, to say that you weren’t aware that the map structure was changing as this illustrates my concerns perfectly. If memory serves me correctly, Thrax and Bobirov were both in the loop yet both were surprised by some of the changes discovered in the Version 41 release.

    @irishbandit wrote:

    Hmm didnt know that the maps where changing just how they are displayed. Will have to try out some of my custom maps and see what happens.

    Rommel have you downloaded any of the recent changes and built a copy?

    Seems your time could be better spent looking at the changes and giving feed back, then posting long posts hear on the forums.
    Just an idea that way you could see if some of your points are correct or not.

    A new version is reputed to be approaching that will change the way maps are drawn, the developers don’t appear to have the same details, a map making contest is currently underway for this version and I see hard feelings peeking over the horizon.

    The final version not being completed leaves some abiguity as to the final details of course but this appears to be a good time to consider the time expended by the competitors and issue an official statement that at least gives them some direction if not consideration for their efforts thus far. In case anyone should misunderstand, I have nothing to enter and I’m not trying to solicate an award for anyone specific.

    The only reason I can fathom for any degree of secrecy in an open source project, is to ensure that no one raises opposition or offers alternative solutions to any of the changes being planned by the core group.

    Rhetorical question :

    Are the unfounded concerns, complaints and suggestions of a few nosey neighbors so bothersome, that in order to avoid them, one should risk turning away the neighbor that wanted to tell you that they use to play in the cave that runs under the foundation you have been digging for your home?

    If so, then by all means dig on with gusto, I wish you godspeed but remember this:

    Building over the top of a troublesome void is inviting disaster. The same can be said about making changes during construction that never get updated into a final set of as built drawings.

    The answer to your question is no. I can not find the change proposals, the puesdo code, the pre compiled alpha code or the alpha executable. Not finding them here or on CVS, I can only assume that like the developers forum, these things are intentionally hidden from public inspection and critque.

    If you find my answer sufficient, I hope you will be kind enough to answer a simple question for me that I have presented in the past.

    Why would anything related to the game code need to be hidden? Please don’t insult my intelligence by saying that it is because of the threat of hacks. I would find that answer synonomous to somone, that knows better, trying to feed me feces while telling me it’s a brownie.

    You are correct in your assertion that my time could be better spent but unless there is someone working on this project that is getting filthy stinking rich off of the work they have done, that statement would apply to most everyone, regardless of what they do or where they are doing it.

    Finding no //fixme notations in the napalm code and knowing from observation where the problem should be found, discovering the omitted AND statements only took a few minutes. Having reported this problem and having no one acknowledge how it was being addressed, I submitted my suggestion for the southbound code fix. Wasting my time duplicating someone elses work is not productive and as work goes, it holds no entertainment value for me unless it is productive. The time I waste trying to type a decent letter is generally much greater than the time I have wasted in the code. This one for instance, has required an embarrassing long time. I hope you don’t feel like the time it takes you to read it was wasted and that most of this makes sense.

    As for seeing if my points are correct:

    The napalm had already been perfected. Suggestions not wanted. No need to check anything.

    The suggestion to combine the custom surround and the playfield into one bump map, is being implemented now. That one was a hit! No need to check anything.

    The code suggestion for scaling maps while maintaining relative placements, I checked with a pencil and one of Dr. Brainbender’s mint green sticky notes. It works fine. No need to check anything.

    Best wishes,

    Rommel

    #52204

    Irishbandit
    Participant

    Gavin switched from cvs to svn you can read here http://www.scorched3d.co.uk/wiki/index.php/Download_Source_Code#Subversion_.28SVN.29 how to get the new code all you need to check the changes is run diff on the project between updates. So its not hidden.

    I dont think what you are saying is wrong Rommel but if you try the svn version out it will allow you to see what some of the changes are.

    As most of the devs know I am not a coder more of a tester than anything.

    Your ideas are not unappreciated you just come across abrasive sometimes. Your ideas make more sense than alot of mine. 😳

    As far as this “Suggestions not wanted.” statement that is not true.

    #52205

    Thrax
    Participant

    You may also take into consideration that the ammount of active dev’s
    on this next process are reduced to a bare few.

    Besides Gavin himself, only Irish, myself, and occasionally DeathStryker
    are in on the project. Most of the other listed Dev’s have faded into the
    background. One of the others may pop in a note every month or so.

    You did ask for mapping change details, and I displayed them so far.
    Were there other rumors floating in the servers that you wish cleared up?

    With a minimum of reworking, I have already switched over 3-4 of the
    mods in order to test variables. The changes noted a few posts back
    were all I needed to do. Further growth on them can happen; but simply
    to function, that was all it took.

    #52206

    Rommel
    Participant

    No questions, so I thought, Hmmmm, perhaps a suggestion instead.@thrax wrote:

    You may also take into consideration that the ammount of active dev’s
    on this next process are reduced to a bare few.

    Besides Gavin himself, only Irish, myself, and occasionally DeathStryker
    are in on the project. Most of the other listed Dev’s have faded into the
    background. One of the others may pop in a note every month or so.

    You did ask for mapping change details, and I displayed them so far.
    Were there other rumors floating in the servers that you wish cleared up?

    With a minimum of reworking, I have already switched over 3-4 of the
    mods in order to test variables. The changes noted a few posts back
    were all I needed to do. Further growth on them can happen; but simply
    to function, that was all it took.

    It would be very nice if someone wrote a script to convert the version 41 files to version 42 files and posted it for Download with the new release. This should be a great time saver for you Thrax (considering all the mods) and Gavin and Panther should find it handy too. This would be a very nice compliment to offer along side of any install packages which require a coding change to custom mods or maps.

    Perhaps someone has one from one of the older versions that could be used as a starter. If so, it would be nice if the script could update, older file formats as well as the Version 41 files.

    Good luck,

    Rommel

    #52207

    Rommel
    Participant

    Hi Irishbandit:

    I just found the new napalm code without difficulty (under branch). Thank you for showing me the way. All I can say for myself, which isn’t much in this instance, is that I have, on at least one occassion recently, discovered that the cigarette lighter that I had been frantically searching for was in one of my hands. Please forgive me if I seem harsh AND/OR incompetent at times but I am becoming incompetent and I fear it’s making me rather ill with everyone. This is disturbing as I don’t wish to appear that way or hurt anyones feelings without cause but I see it too. You have been nothing but helpful and I am sorry that I seemed harsh.

    I’ll try to be more patient and less demanding in the future.

    @irishbandit wrote:

    Gavin switched from cvs to svn you can read here http://www.scorched3d.co.uk/wiki/index.php/Download_Source_Code#Subversion_.28SVN.29 how to get the new code all you need to check the changes is run diff on the project between updates. So its not hidden.

    I dont think what you are saying is wrong Rommel but if you try the svn version out it will allow you to see what some of the changes are.

    As most of the devs know I am not a coder more of a tester than anything.

    Your ideas are not unappreciated you just come across abrasive sometimes. Your ideas make more sense than alot of mine. 😳

    As far as this “Suggestions not wanted.” statement that is not true.

    As you may have noticed, I’ve been very prolific with the new BBS upgrade today. Letters are much less frustrating to compose when you can type without using a magnifying glass.

    Back to the code:

    The last else if statement is still missing the conditional AND statements although I did see the inclusion of the new endpoint code. Perhaps I misread the way the running code operates. If you or Thrax have tested the new code on a flat map and it does not run south, then it works as it should and that’s all I was after for the first attempt.

    For my next submission … Hey Rocky, want to see me pull a rabbit out of my hat? … I shall attempt something very simple that most likely no one has noticed that does not pertain to the actual game play. At least I can be fairly certain that no one will beat me to it that way and if it doesn’t work, no one will be upset that I let them down. Doing something constructive occassionaly helps keep me from feeling too guilty about playing Scorched so much. Playing Scorched so much keeps me from typing so much. Typing so much … I think I need to stop typing so much. Thanks again for helping me get pointed in the right direction, on all levels.

    Sincerely,

    Rommel

    #52208

    Irishbandit
    Participant

    Not a problem Rommel hope you have fun testing the new code. Also Gavin makes updates rather frequently so you need to keep updating your local code. =D> =D>

    #52209

    Rommel
    Participant

    All I wanted to do was look over the napalm code to see what had been done.@irishbandit wrote:

    Not a problem Rommel hope you have fun testing the new code. Also Gavin makes updates rather frequently so you need to keep updating your local code. =D> =D>

    My last version of C is Borland C++ 4.5 with a 1994 vintage stamp that I last loaded onto a Pentium MMX 150 that is currently performing quite nicely as a door stop.

    #52210

    Irishbandit
    Participant

    Thats not good rommel you need some new compilers try this one out. I like free so it should not kill you. (Unless you dont have high speed internet)

    http://www.microsoft.com/express/download/default.aspx

    or if you want an iso
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=27673C47-B3B5-4C67-BD99-84E525B5CE61&displaylang=en

    It is MS but lots of the devs like it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.