This topic contains 23 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Loke 10 years ago.

• Author

Deathbal
    Participant

This is how I see politics and religeon. If people can have a civil conversation about either subject, I see no problem. The problem regarding these topics is someone always ends up insulting someone by making rude comments.

BTW, carbon dating is not a perfect science. It can, and has been way off on several occasions.

I think the Earth is very old. A few billion years…..But how long has man been around? Current style man, about 6000-8000 years?

I also have some VERY interesting information on a conspiracy theory that seems to be gaining some steam. Totally unrelated to this topic. It has to do with the dark ages. I’ll post it in “off topic” when I can keep my eyes open.

The Mighty Muha
    Participant

Just let the Gini out of the bottle and post the log of the discussion in question.

pastor of muppets
    Participant

So it’s over swan is and always will be my friend I just wanted to attract some attention to what I thought was admin abuse. It was not since he did not mute us. As far as the debate that will conitnue in game if you bastages want to. I see no reason to bring attention to the log since it’s all said and done with. CYAZ!

Deathstryker
    Participant

I’m going to move this to the player and server complaints section of the forums as it seems more appropriate there.

Outer
    Participant

@deathbal wrote:

I think the Earth is very old. A few billion years…..But how long has man been around? Current style man, about 6000-8000 years?

Homo sapiens sapiens aka modern man is dated to have appeared 130,000 years ago.

Other types of “man” are way older.

cbx550f
    Participant

I would like to go on record as saying I think this could have been handled better.
    I was not there, nor have I seen any logs, but we have a player (our current #4 player, I might add) with a complaint, and (it appears to me) that he was insulted for it, I don’t see that he was given any concise answer.

In some games there’s quite a bit of time for chat, and conversations tend to wander. I’m sure it didn’t just go like “ns Matt!”, “Hey Paul, did you know that the earth is 50 billion years old?”. Determining whether a conversation is “objectionable” or not is obviously quite subjective, and this sort of thing will be a problem from time to time.

Two questions:
    1. Would POM, or myself, or anyone, get kicked for discussing the age of the Earth in a game?

2. If the only person in the room who finds a questionable subject to be a problem is an admin, is it a problem that needs to be dealt with?

When I was an admin, I recall debating #2 with myself a few times in a game…. personally, I figured that if I was the only one bothered by something, I should let it slide.

My 2¢

cbx

P.S. Hope to see you around, Matt

BigBear
    Participant

Like I said before, if ppl want to make a complaint and get response from the admins that weren’t there, append a time and date to the complaint. PoM hasn’t so far and neither is there an incident report by Swannie in the private admin forum as of yet. I would not want to comment as admin before seeing the log.

@cbx550f wrote:

Two questions:
    1. Would POM, or myself, or anyone, get kicked for discussing the age of the Earth in a game?

You DEFINATELY should NOT be kicked for that. If so then the admin responsible has clearly stepped out of bounds as I see it. The interested reader can check out the “Rules and Guidelines” sticky in this forum for yourself.

@cbx550f wrote:

2. If the only person in the room who finds a questionable subject to be a problem is an admin, is it a problem that needs to be dealt with?

When I was an admin, I recall debating #2 with myself a few times in a game…. personally, I figured that if I was the only one bothered by something, I should let it slide.

A good point. In most cases time is not a critical factor when considering wheather to take action or not. Thinking things through one more time before reacting is seldom a bad thing and probably reduces the number of incidents that turn “ugly”.

EDIT:
    One last thing. What rank a player holds is completely irrelevant in terms of what type of reception a complaint should get. Everyone deserves and SHALL recieve the same treatment as long as I have anything to say about it, that is a promise!
    /EDIT

Deathbal
    Participant

@outer wrote:

@deathbal wrote:

Homo sapiens sapiens aka modern man is dated to have appeared 130,000 years ago.

Other types of “man” are way older.

Aah, I shall clarify. I was not refering to prehistoric time 🙂

Laptops Daddy
    Participant

since i was mentioned…

mountains out of mole hills. pom was probably still pissed off when he wrote the post.

for the record, the subject here was idle small talk chit chat. not what i would call a debate by a long way. (i don’t do debates at 4am : )

i do understand why swan was concerned. some people can be very touchy about religious stuff and though we never got as far as pom’s reasons for supposing a younger age, religious ideas are the cliché opposition to the science and we were bound to touch on it.

personally i would much prefer an admin who’s not afraid to speak up, and don’t think swan was particularly out of line.

ps:
    the chat feature is what makes the game. why play online otherwise?

Loke
    Participant

@laptops Daddy wrote:

ps:
    the chat feature is what makes the game. why play online otherwise?

Intelligent opposition springs into mind.

Loke

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.